• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Adventures In Home Inspection (Some May Be NSFW)

I work at a title/escrow company. It's unreal what we see on the appraisals and inspections. In this market, buyers are willing to put a contract on an outhouse - and it probably has seven competing offers!😆
I put my house on the market and had an offer where th3e buyer offered to waive any inspections except septic and radon (required by state).

I thinks all over the U.S. not like a few years ago with all the HGTV addicts demanding new roofs and closing costs paid, etc. now buyers are offering their first born only to find out three competing offers have offered up the same😂
My Realtor told me the average home in my area (SW Connecticut) is on the market 9 days and goes for 15% over the asking price. Its crazy.

My Realtor told me the average home in my area (SW Connecticut) is on the market 9 days and goes for 15% over the asking price. Its crazy.
Pretty much every house here sells the day it's listed, sometimes before. Realtor friend sold 3 houses to one guy from California site unseen because he didn't know which one he'd want when he got here. 75% of the homes here are being sold to people that don't need to work, won't be long before native Montanans get priced out.

Wow they are really sitting around in your market. People list houses here Friday am and get a hotel. The buyers then have free reign to see the house with their realtor's anytime until Saturday night. Bids are due Saturday by 10pm. Sunday am the sellers come back home and go over all the bids with their realtor and call the top 3 and offer them to increase their position based on what the offers are and they take the best cash offer. Normally at least 15% over asking. If your house sells for what you list it for, you live in a 10 sq ft dumpster. 6 houses in my neighborhood have done exactly this over the last 90 days. I can't imagine what is going to happen to my property taxes in 6 months....

I can, you better have your homestead exception.
I looked this up since you mentioned it.. This is what I found

Overview: The Nebraska homestead exemption program is a property tax relief program for six categories of homeowners:
1. Persons over age 65
2. Veterans totally disabled by a nonservice-connected accident or illness
3. Qualified disabled individuals
4 Qualified totally disabled veterans and their surviving spouses
5. Veterans whose home was substantially contributed to by the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) and their surviving spouses
6. Individuals who have a developmental disability

I looked this up since you mentioned it.. This is what I found

Overview: The Nebraska homestead exemption program is a property tax relief program for six categories of homeowners:
1. Persons over age 65
2. Veterans totally disabled by a nonservice-connected accident or illness
3. Qualified disabled individuals
4 Qualified totally disabled veterans and their surviving spouses
5. Veterans whose home was substantially contributed to by the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) and their surviving spouses
6. Individuals who have a developmental disability
That sucks! Anyone can have HS in the state of Texas. Every state is different I’m sure, but in Texas it puts a cap on what they can raise your taxes yearly. I believe it is a max of 10% in Texas, regardless of housing market prices.

That sucks! Anyone can have HS in the state of Texas. Every state is different I’m sure, but in Texas it puts a cap on what they can raise your taxes yearly. I believe it is a max of 10% in Texas, regardless of housing market prices.
We have a law in place now to restrict how much it can change year over year. This is really a double edge sword IMO. They did a review of a group of peoples homes about 5 years ago (before then crazy markets started) and there were homes that were paying taxes off a $200,000 valuation and their homes were valued at 1.5 million and up.. I am sure they "knew someone" but now its going to take 10+ years before they are actually paying their fair share. If my property taxes go up 10% that would be very bad!!!! We have stupid high property taxes already.

They don't raise my taxes yearly, they increase the valuation one year, tax rate the next. Repeat. If you complain, they brag about how much more your home is now worth! I ain't looking to sell my house, I don't care if they have it valued at 3X what I could probably sell it for.

Edit: I "know" someone, the chief appraiser. That's the guy I played the "little bitty fish pic in the sports section while he was gone on a fishing tournament" prank on. I guess that explains my taxes :)

Last edited:
They don't raise my taxes yearly, they increase the valuation one year, tax rate the next. Repeat. If you complain, they brag about how much more your home is now worth! I ain't looking to sell my house, I don't care if they have it valued at 3X what I could probably sell it for.
When I say taxes, I just mean how much they can raise your assessed value, which is what your taxed on.

When I say taxes, I just mean how much they can raise your assessed value, which is what your taxed on.
Pretty much the same thing. Our law won't allow your tax bill to go up by x% a year. So even if they changed your assessed value from 200,000 to 1.5 Million, your yearly bill will only go up whatever % a year every year until it catches up.

I guess that's why the alternate valuation increase years with tax rate increase years

Yeah, and then the actual tax rate the next year. They make a big point about how they aren't raising the tax rate on years they jack the valuation, and then the next year when they raise the rate, they explain that there hasn't been a rate increase in over a year. Just a ratcheting up of the bottom line every year through one increase or another.

One more reason to live in the boonies. While I'm guessing my property value hasn't increased significantly (nor is ever reevaluated anyway), neither have my taxes. For someone that plans to retire in this home, this is definitely ideal.

Pretty much the same thing. Our law won't allow your tax bill to go up by x% a year. So even if they changed your assessed value from 200,000 to 1.5 Million, your yearly bill will only go up whatever % a year every year until it catches up.
Yeah it's the next guy (buyer) who really gets screwed!