• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Another bettle outbreak in an 06 box

Strayvector

Like what you smoke, smoke what you like
Just a word of warning to everyone. Yesterday I discovered a pretty serious beetle infestation in a NOV06 box of PSD4s in my locker at the local cigar store. I've meticulously gone through all my other boxes and thankfully it was the only box with beetles. The storage condition fluctuates between 72F-76F with humidity between 65-70%. I realize the temps are a little high, but I used to freeze all incoming cigars until about a year ago when I heard the news that HSA freezes all cigars prior to shipment. Since then, I've been a little lax about freezing my cigars. This is now the second 06 box that have had beetles hatch, so now I'm back to freezing all incoming cigars. For those of you who have relaxed your vigilance because Cuba now "freezes" their cigars, you may want to rethink your strategy. I know I will.

Awww crap. I'm sorry to hear that, Sam. I guess I'd better start going through the coolers then.

Wilkey

Could the bettles have come in 'after' frezzing? Say inside the box...then made their way to the cigars?

either way...it's to the chiller!

This is the first Ive heard of this problem in recent production boxes.

good to know. thanks for the warning.

Awww crap. I'm sorry to hear that, Sam. I guess I'd better start going through the coolers then.

Wilkey

Definitely sucked especially since my in-laws just left and I went over to the shop to have my first smoke in over a month. Instead of smoking, I spent it tapping my cigars looking for the tell tale powder. I was really looking forward to smoking a Secreto...guess it'll have to wait a couple of days. :whistling:

Could the bettles have come in 'after' frezzing? Say inside the box...then made their way to the cigars?

Possible, but I would have expected to find evidence of beetles in more than just the one box. I counted at least 10 live beetles just in that box and nowhere else. Thankfully I caught the outbreak pretty early and nothing else was touched. Looks like at least a quarter of the box is completely destroyed and another third have the telltale holes.

It sounds like it might be time to find somewhere else to store them. But thanks for the heads up. Beetles are horrible.

Possible, but I would have expected to find evidence of beetles in more than just the one box. I counted at least 10 live beetles just in that box and nowhere else. Thankfully I caught the outbreak pretty early and nothing else was touched. Looks like at least a quarter of the box is completely destroyed and another third have the telltale holes.

Good point.

Sorry to hear that...But this is a big reason that steer clear of Cuban cigars. All my friends that have evr had massive beetle infestations, they have always came from their boxes of Havanas.

I was at this cigar store a few months back when this customer came in with a beautiful Davidoff humidor filled with some of the most beautiful Beetle eaten Havanas including a Davidoff which this guy had paid 250.00 for and had brought back from England.

I think I cried

Hey Sam! Do Beetles pop like pot seeds when you smoke em? :whistling:

MGT NOV06 on the PSD4s, no idea on the RyJ SC...they're long gone. Broke my heart on the PSD4s since they had the oiliest and darkest red wrapper I had ever seen on a PSD4 and I had planned on breaking into them on its 2 year birthday.

MGT NOV06 on the PSD4s, no idea on the RyJ SC...they're long gone. Broke my heart on the PSD4s since they had the oiliest and darkest red wrapper I had ever seen on a PSD4 and I had planned on breaking into them on its 2 year birthday.

Sam was it your usual place you received the sticks from?
I checked my inventory of PSD4 (MGT NOV 06) and RYJ and other sticks from said place. And no beetle infestations.
Are you sure it was not your locker that caused the infestation of said box?

Beetles are in every cigar you smoke in egg form. Only proper storage can stop them from hatching.

Sorry to hear about your bad luck.

thanks for the heads up.I had a break out two months ago with some custom hand rolleds that were being stored in a desktop.I froze them & put them in a climate controlled environment.

Beetles are in every cigar you smoke in egg form. Only proper storage can stop them from hatching.

What conditions actually cause them to hatch?

What conditions actually cause them to hatch?

Tobacco worm infestation occurs above all if cigars are stored at excessively high temperatures. Cigars are infested by worms if small wormholes can be seen on the outer cigar leaves. During their two-month lifespan, the worms reach sizes of up to 5 mm. All infested cigars should be immediately removed from the humidor and carefully examined for indications of tobacco worm. After segregating the infested cigars and cleaning the humidor, the remaining cigars may be placed safely back into the humidor. To completely ensure that no further larvae have survived inside the cigars, one might put the cigars into a freezer for a few days. However, close attention should be paid that the cigars are well protected from ambient aromas. After freezing, cigars must be defrosted gradually to prevent the tobacco leaves from cracking. Otherwise, cigars should never be stored in a freezer or refrigerator because of the overly low humidity levels!
- Humidor Guide website http://www.humidor-guide.com/

Most people say 80°F... but I personally wouldn't let my smokes get anywhere near 75°F Look around in this forum we have had serious discussions regarding them in the past.

I've had beetles hatch in temperatures as low as 72 degrees. I keep my smokes at 62 degrees 24/7. The notation on the paper insert that comes in each box of Habanos recommends that the cigars be stored between 16 and 18 degrees Celcius, which translates to 60.8-64.4 Farenheit. Anything above that temperature range, I reckon, creates some risk for beetles.