• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Another bettle outbreak in an 06 box

MGT NOV06 on the PSD4s, no idea on the RyJ SC...they're long gone. Broke my heart on the PSD4s since they had the oiliest and darkest red wrapper I had ever seen on a PSD4 and I had planned on breaking into them on its 2 year birthday.

Sam was it your usual place you received the sticks from?
I checked my inventory of PSD4 (MGT NOV 06) and RYJ and other sticks from said place. And no beetle infestations.
Are you sure it was not your locker that caused the infestation of said box?

Usual place. It could have come from outside the locker, but then I would have expected to see the infestation in other boxes and the beetles to start attacking the top layer first instead of the bottom layer. Just bad luck. I've got two lockers and only found the infestation in that box of PSD4. I think it may have to do with me ordering these cigars in the hot summer months. I used to freeze everything (especially summer shipments), but with the news that HSA was freezing prior to shipment, I stopped. Now I think I'll resume the freezing policy or buy another Haier.

Sorry to hear Sam. I guess we shouldn't have expected HSA to do something 100% (if in fact they were only in those particular boxes). I've never frozen any of mine and have yet to have a problem. This will certainly affect my buying decisions this summer.

*cries* A box of PSD4's ruined? That's absolutely HORRID! Those are my favorite. :( I feel for ya brother.

As nervous as I can be about this, I just can not bring myself to freeze a box of cigars...I feel there is a greater chance of me ruining the smokes than getting beetles.

As nervous as I can be about this, I just can not bring myself to freeze a box of cigars...I feel there is a greater chance of me ruining the smokes than getting beetles.
Done properly and with care, there is not detectable short or long term effect on smoking performance. I've confirmed this as have smokers with far more experience and capable palates.

Wilkey

I place the box in a Ziploc bag, place them in a second Ziploc bag, and stick them in my freezer for three days. I then put them in the fridge for two days. I then put them in my walk-in for a day. I then remove the Ziplocs from the box. I wait at least a month (more usually three or four) before dipping into the smokes.

In my opinion, if you do these things, there will be no short or long term impact on the cigars. The most important things is to make sure the cigars are in as close to an airtight environment as possible when freezing/thawing. The only way the smokes will be damaged is if they dry out during the process.

I don't pretend to have the absolute best, foolproof method. But this one (and keeping m walk-in at 62 degrees) works for me.

Good luck.

I have always frozen Cuban cigars, and never to any ill effect. I pretty much use the same procedure that Rallones outlined above.

i am new to this site and this has been a good subject to read about.i keep mine in a walk in wine cellar that has a cooling unit which keeps the temp between 57 and 62 degrees.i monitor the humidity and so far i have not seen any problems.has any one else tried this?

i am new to this site and this has been a good subject to read about.i keep mine in a walk in wine cellar that has a cooling unit which keeps the temp between 57 and 62 degrees.i monitor the humidity and so far i have not seen any problems.has any one else tried this?

I have seen it done.
Should work well for you...
Unless there is an extended power outtage in the dead of summer.

If you want to become an active member of the community here please don't use all small caps.
If everyone did this it would make the board look immature and crappy.

Thanks!

-Rob

Just a word of warning to everyone. Yesterday I discovered a pretty serious beetle infestation in a NOV06 box of PSD4s in my locker at the local cigar store. I've meticulously gone through all my other boxes and thankfully it was the only box with beetles. The storage condition fluctuates between 72F-76F with humidity between 65-70%. I realize the temps are a little high, but I used to freeze all incoming cigars until about a year ago when I heard the news that HSA freezes all cigars prior to shipment. Since then, I've been a little lax about freezing my cigars. This is now the second 06 box that have had beetles hatch, so now I'm back to freezing all incoming cigars. For those of you who have relaxed your vigilance because Cuba now "freezes" their cigars, you may want to rethink your strategy. I know I will.

I was told something by a cigar retailer and I would like to check it for B.S. I returned a couple of cigars to a shop because the holes were so bad, the cigar didn't draw correctly. These were cheap cigars that were stored in a showcase, probably way to close to thee front window so they probably got way to hot. Anyway, He said the more expensive cigars were put in a vacumn to kill the beetles at the factory. I have yet to read anywhere about using vacumn to kill beetles.

But this is the first I have heard of freezing incoming boxes so obviously my sample size is small.

Are beetles a problem with all cigars or just Cubans? I thought it was all but someone on here told me just Cubans. Wanted to make sure.

OH SNAP!! Yeah, that's a sad picture... I think those Girkhas I ordered had beetles in em, couldn't really tell though if it was beetle holes or just the wrapper cracking. So I also take it that it's BS you only have to worry about beetles only in Cubans. That's what it sounds like to me.

OH SNAP!! Yeah, that's a sad picture... I think those Girkhas I ordered had beetles in em, couldn't really tell though if it was beetle holes or just the wrapper cracking. So I also take it that it's BS you only have to worry about beetles only in Cubans. That's what it sounds like to me.

Tobacco is tobacco. Cigar beetles don't give a damn what country the tobacco is grown in, they eat it regardless of what's on the band. Tobacco beetles infest cigars from any country of origin.

Some practices on the vendor's end can mitigate, but not eliminate entirely this issue.

Tobacco is tobacco. Cigar beetles don't give a damn what country the tobacco is grown in, they eat it regardless of what's on the band. Tobacco beetles infest cigars from any country of origin.

Some practices on the vendor's end can mitigate, but not eliminate entirely this issue.

LOL, yeah, that's right, didn't sound like it made much sense for them to only be in Cubans, though maybe if the beetles were only a problem on that Island, but just had to ask to make sure... IDK, maybe them beetles are communitst and only prefer that sweet sweet Cuban tobacco.

LOL, yeah, that's right, didn't sound like it made much sense for them to only be in Cubans, though maybe if the beetles were only a problem on that Island, but just had to ask to make sure... IDK, maybe them beetles are communitst and only prefer that sweet sweet Cuban tobacco.

s02.jpg
+
image056.gif
=
buggy_pams.jpg

:sign: :sign: :sign:

Back