• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Anyone ever dealt with Post Concussion Syndrome Before

Jonesy

Got Ink ?
As some of you know, I was in a pretty horrific car accident last Monday morning. Luckily I was able to come away with it with only a severe concussion and a beat up looking head :laugh: . I was wondering if any of you guys have ever had to deal with this before so I can get a little idea of what I'm in store for. I realize that concussions are case by case with dealings being all are different, but some of the signs I'm showing are worrying me a little. I've fallen twice since I got out of the hospital and each time I got back up, I fell right back down and ended up walking around like a drunk for close to 5 minutes before I got my bearings back. I haven't had trouble with light or with major headaches, but the thing that concerns me the most is the memory loss. I had the wreck last Monday morning and I remember nothing from Sunday afternoon until Tuesday evening. I'll go to make a call and when the person I'm calling answers, I have no idea why I called in the first place. I've never made so many mistakes spelling on the computer also. (No getting old jokes either) I really am looking for anyone that's dealt with something like tis before and can shed a little light on what I'm in store for.

Thanks again for all the wonderful Birthday wishes sent my way on the 25th, and thanks for any responses that may help me with this also.

Best,
Brian

I'd go to the doctor ASAP. Could be something minor but could be something as serious as an internal bleed in your brain. Never be too careful when you deal with stuff like that. So go tomorrow.

I'd go to the doctor ASAP. Could be something minor but could be something as serious as an internal bleed in your brain. Never be too careful when you deal with stuff like that. So go tomorrow.
I spent 2 days in the hospital, had a CAT scan and they said it looked good. I do have an appt. with the neurosurgeon tomorrow afternoon so I have quite a few questions for him.

Yeah, get it checked out. Your noggin is nothing to fool around with.

I don't think I knew you were in an accident. Glad you weren't seriously hurt!

Maybe the bump was so hard you might actually become semi-nice. I know I'm a dreamer, but what can I say I'm a optimist!

In all seriousness Jonesy, take it easy, keep off your feet, get feeling better.

You're in my thoughts brother! :thumbs:

I was hoping this was one of those clever bomb threads. Sorry to hear about the accident and knocked noggin. Hopefully this is just part of the recovery and you're back to normal soon. Sorry I can't be any further help as I don't remember if I've ever had a concussion.

My jr. year of high school I got a pretty bad concussion. I was out of it for a few weeks. Hope your Nuro doc straightens it out. rp

Geebus, Jonesy, I just saw this. I hope all works out, and that you're 100% very soon.

Jonesy...regardless of your hospital stay you need to contact your MD and let him know about your falls and where you are at right now. I've had two pretty bad concussions from when I raced Motocross and you do not fool with this. I'm pretty sure falling down a few days after is not part of the receovery process...call your doctor.

I've worked in brain injury rehabilitation before and it sounds like you had a mild case of Post Traumatic Amnesia (PTA). It's basically where your brain has difficulty, or sometimes the inability, to form new memories following a traumatic brain injury. In the most severe cases, I have seen it last for months before resolving, but it sounds like you have pretty good awareness the issue which is usually rare for people afflicted with this condition, so I am hoping your situation will resolve much faster. Good luck.

Sorry to hear about all this, Brian. I have no advice other than tell the doctor. Neurology is way above my pay grade.

Doc

I hope things go well for you today. You can't be ramdomly falling down. You could do it in a very dangerous to you spot. Get it looked at Brother!

I have been through this with my grandson who fractured his skull in a car accident. Get yourself back to a doctor. Jake experienced brain swelling which as the doctor said was not unusual, but needed immediate attention. He told me it takes about a year to fully recover from a head trauma. It took 7 months for Jake to recover. I am by no means an expert and may be way off on this, but this is nothing to take lightly.

Sorry to hear about your accident. The only thing I know is rest and time help in the recovery. The Neurologist should be able to read your scans and advise a plan of action.

Thank you for all of the input guys, it does mean a lot to me and like I stated, I'm just looking for what to expect down the road. I have a 2pm appt. with the neurologist this afternoon, so maybe he'll be able to clear some things up for me. Like the constant fatigue and total lack of appetite. I once weighed 245. When I went to the Dr. the Friday before the wreck om Fiday, I weighed 222.6 ( I had been trying to lose weight by giving up fast foods ond soft drinks), When I went back in on yesterday, (10 days later) I weighed in at 206.2 fully clothed which also has me a little concerned.

Jonesy...now don't give me some sob story about the 10 grand you owe me...I know you got the check a week ago last Monday!

Having gone through this 5 months ago after my car accident...once cleared medically, BE PATIENT! I used a cane while cruising around the house for about a week or so as not to keep falling. I'm still thinking I did things I haven't done...not hitting keys on the computer I thought I had, etc. I also experienced a temporary case of dyslexia which drove me nuts when writing & typing...almost everyone's symptoms are different during this process. But rest assured, this will all clear up very slowly and you will get better...just be patient and don't put any undo pressure on yourself to get back to normal too quickly, that will lead to frustration and will only add to your anxiety. Us guys don't do 'patients' very well. Hang in there bro!

Hey, now you know what 'Sid the Whiner' went through! :laugh:

oh yeah, I almost forgot....

FLIERS SUCK!

Brian, i have no idea about what you are going through, but I hope you get better soon! :). Good luck at the doc today.

Gary, what is a flier? I thought it was Flyers.....but what do I know? Oh ya I know the Wings suck...or at least they did this year!

Jonesy...now don't give me some sob story about the 10 grand you owe me...I know you got the check a week ago last Monday!

Having gone through this 5 months ago after my car accident...once cleared medically, BE PATIENT! I used a cane while cruising around the house for about a week or so as not to keep falling. I'm still thinking I did things I haven't done...not hitting keys on the computer I thought I had, etc. I also experienced a temporary case of dyslexia which drove me nuts when writing & typing...almost everyone's symptoms are different during this process. But rest assured, this will all clear up very slowly and you will get better...just be patient and don't put any undo pressure on yourself to get back to normal too quickly, that will lead to frustration and will only add to your anxiety. Us guys don't do 'patients' very well. Hang in there bro!

Hey, now you know what 'Sid the Whiner' went through! :laugh:

oh yeah, I almost forgot....

FLIERS SUCK!

10 Grand??? You probably wouldn't be hearing from me right now! :laugh:

Now, if you had it to spare, I certainlt would't turn it down! :p

When my son brained himself last year, the instructions were to rest the body and the brain. They wanted him out of school, no video games, limited TV and so on.

I wish you could remember why you decided to have FOG tattooed on your toe knuckles Tuesday morning.