• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Anyone follow Formula 1?

The only thing I can add to this thread is one of the co-managers of my shop has a NHRA car in the family and will be racing at Ennis, Texas in October. He invited me and my son and grandson into the pits as they prep the car. Told me wait until those nitro cards fire up and feel the ground shake. Looking forward to being re-baptized.
Wear every type of ear protection you can find that day, but have a blast!

Woooooo! It's finally race week, again, friends! FP1 starts in about 10 minutes, and there are two quali sessions this weekend: One this afternoon for the sprint race tomorrow, and then one tomorrow for the Grand Prix on Sunday (I may have that backwards). For all of you fantasy team folks -- I have absolutely no idea how the points are going to work this weekend, so please don't ask me. :p

Strange new format, mini Q mini race, big Q big race. If I understand, Sprint results no longer have any effect on the race - it's just its own little race. Some glimmer of hope for Ferrari if they don't implode.

Strange new format, mini Q mini race, big Q big race. If I understand, Sprint results no longer have any effect on the race - it's just its own little race. Some glimmer of hope for Ferrari if they don't implode.
I believe you have it correct. I'm still not a fan of sprint races, though I'll admit that I really liked the Sprint Quali format, and wish it was used for the GP quali sessions.

Some tracks name corners after famous racers. Miami has the LeClerc Memorial TecPro barrier.

All in good fun, Nick - Sainz looked to be quicker all weekend, anyway. Sure threw a wrench in qualifying.

I'd really like to see some more competition instead of another year of watching Max run away from the field. I was hopeful after qualifying that the leaderboard would get interesting this week, but it didn't turn out that way.

I'd really like to see some more competition instead of another year of watching Max run away from the field. I was hopeful after qualifying that the leaderboard would get interesting this week, but it didn't turn out that way.

IndyCar will fill that need.

Exactly!!! Welcome to the month of May!
Hell Yea!! Lots of reports of rain for the GP this weekend, but we all know how rain at Indy goes.

I remember the last time @kann I went to the Indy 500 there was predictions of heavy rain. I spent a good part of evening running around Indy looking for a poncho or anything, everything was sold out, unless I wanted 500 dollar rain coat from REI! Come race day there was light sprinkle early in the morning and nothing but sunshine for the race.

It rained right up to the start of the Canadian GP back in 2016. Cold and windy, wind blowing right off the St. Lawrence. I spent $50 on a poncho and a seat cushion, even without rain the poncho made a bit of a wind breaker. Beautiful venue, but being on an island made egress a PITA.

Bought tickets to the Miami GP the day before, prices were more than halved. Didn't plan on going but couldn't pass up $350 tickets. Got row 3 tickets on the slowest turn, but almost every pass happened at this corner, so that was pretty cool.

next up, off to Barcelona for that GP. Very excited, never been to Spain before.
20230507_163025.jpg

Bought tickets to the Miami GP the day before, prices were more than halved. Didn't plan on going but couldn't pass up $350 tickets. Got row 3 tickets on the slowest turn, but almost every pass happened at this corner, so that was pretty cool.

next up, off to Barcelona for that GP. Very excited, never been to Spain before.
View attachment 68491
When is the Spanish GP? Do you already have tickets?

Exactly!!! Welcome to the month of May!
Are you still into IMSA, Rob? I've really been getting into it a lot more, and Laguna was some great racing, as always. I've also been a big fan of the MX-5 Cup for many years, and that second race was wild, between the weather/visibility and that wreck. Glad everyone was ok with that one!