• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

B&M's have to do better....

SiriusBlack

Always make it look easy...
Over the last month (and prior) I have visited several different B&M cigar retailers. I guess for one, I like to support the small shops and I'd also like to build a relationship with a comfortable shop that I can go to and smoke at from time to time. However, again and again my experience ends up being less than what I had hoped. I would say 4 of 5 of my experiences involved a less than welcoming shop owner at best...in most cases they were out and out rude. I am not just talking about in Philly. I have tried places outside the city...even went to a shop when I visited Boston this month and it was the same thing.

In most cases I received a half a$$ hello (if any at all…yes over the weekend I had a shop keeper in very small shop not say hello until I got to the counter to pay). In several other cases I was asked "can I help you" before I was all the way in the door. Typically its in a tone you would use if you saw a door to door salesmen coming your way. I understand I don't fit the usual demographics of the cigar smokers or what some think of when they think of a smoker but in my opinion you should treat everyone that walks in your door as an opportunity to build a relationship.

Today's visit took the cake though. I go to this establishment in my area on the recommendation of a co-worker. Nice place, has a coffee bar, and a nice size walk in humidor. I immediately (two seconds after walking in) get the "can I help you" as described above. I say "no thanks...I am meeting some buddies here and just wanted to see if they were here yet". The owner or manager says “uhh okay” and walks away. He comes back a couple of times and gave me a couple of weird looks. So I realized that being on vacation a few days I probably looked a little rough around the edges. So I ask the shop keeper does he know my co-worker that recommended the place...he says "oh yeah I know him". I tell him that the co-worker was supposed to join me but could not make it at the last minute. So I was just waiting for another friend. Then he seemed to be at ease. So I guess I had to validate my presence by letting the owner know that I was friends with one of the regulars. I mean I don't think I am menacing looking. I wear glasses for Christ sake but fine....whatever he stopped watching me.

Now get this...my other buddy arrives. We head to the walk in and pick out some smokes. The manager disappears by this point to continue watching the game in another (private room). Yeah now that I actually need some help he is no where to be found. So an older woman helps us. We then head to the coffee bar and order a couple drinks and light up our smokes. Later a group of college age guys come in and the women asks them the "can I help you" question with the similar tone. They say no we are just looking right now but thanks. Out of ear shot of them she says "what do you mean you are looking. You don't go into the walk in humidor to look. Either you are buying or you are not". I almost fell over. These guys could represent a future relationship not to mention all the recommendations they could make to their friends and she just completely crapped on them. Maybe they were newbies too nervous to ask the questions they had about all the cigars. I just felt like it was a huge missed opportunity.

I guess I say all of this to say...no one...at least not me...wants to be required to visit a shop 10 times or some other magic number before being treated as a welcomed customer. I know there is a certain level of familiarity that comes with being a "regular" but to a certain extent shouldn't everyone be treated that way? In addition I shouldn't be the one being overly pleasant trying to win THEM over or prove to them that I am a serious cigar guy.

On-line retailers are not killing business for B&M's just because of cheaper prices. I would argue lackluster service is a big part of it too. Here's my argument...if the B&M adds no value to my cigar smoking and buying experience then what reason is there for me to support them? If I can get comparable prices if not cheaper on line what reason is there for me to keep trying to support B&M retailers who seem to be only interested in catering to their regulars and rushing the rest of us out of the door as soon as possible. Certainly there are many many exceptions to what I have experienced but for me there have just been way too many that fall into this category. Just my two cents.

I agree - nothing worse than bad customer service. Both the B&M's I frequent treat me just the way I like to be treated. They greet you when you enter - not with "can I help you?", but rather a greeting like, "Hello! How are you today?". After I wander into the humidor, somebody will stroll in and ask me if there's anything they can help me find. There's one other B&M I visit infrequently - but only when I'm searching for something, because the owner is pushy and just wants to talk about the big 10% discount he offers on his overpriced boxes.

Edit: punctuation correction

I've often suspected some of my local B&M's of actually being some type of money laundering operation. The same 4-6 guys sitting inside at any time of day on any day of the week. They grimace at me like I took a dump on their table if I dare to sit down on an empty seat. Cigar sales seems the last concern of the proprietor and staff.

Then there are those local B&M's of mine who I truly feel guilty for not buying every single one of my cigars from them. Their service, friendliness and knowledge is impeccable. Unfortunately, I could never buy by the box, at the rate I buy boxes, if they got all my business. I compensate by trying to steer the majority of my singles business their way. It helps me to keep abreast of new lines, keep current with existing lines and maintain my rapport with the shopkeepers.

Nature of the beast.

It really does suck about your experiences at shops to this point. There is only one shop I will never step foot into and it's the closest one to me. The guy there is just an a$$ and he yelled at my wife and the kids. I do go to 3 others within an hour fro me and I have to say that they have all been nice even after the first time I walked in, even my favorite in NJ and I walked in the jacket that I have on in my avatar.

GO SOX :thumbs:
Sam

Here in Illinois we have only the cigar stores to smoke in, luckily for me i know a few good places where there are some friendly and knowledgeable people that really care for their customers I feel for a botl who lives in a small town and has few options, i can vote with my feel and do so if service is less then stellar. If some owner would rather be somewhere else instead of servicing my smoking needs i'm sure i'll try my best to to see that he has plenty of time to care of his other chores. Cigars are no small expense, customer service should come with those smokes. My two cents.

That's deplorable and for me, would mean I'd never again be motivated to visit that establishment. You're right. B&Ms need to do better. Their servers need to be more knowledgeable and have a little service sense. The local B&M in my area, the biggest one in the state has a very good selection...but I only go when my friend the humidor manager is onsite. Otherwise, it's almost guaranteed to be a low budget, why are you looking at me like I'm going to stuff cigars under my shirt, kind of experience.

Wilkey

I guess with some B&Ms it can be a give and take relationship. For instance, the only shop I like going to actually has sky high prices in comparison to other local shops, but I'll buy a stick or two and really feel good about being there because the owner is a legitimately nice guy. He gives a warm welcome to everyone that comes in, asks if he can help, then he'll stand near the register and shoot the proverbial with everyone while enjoying a stick.
After finding this place, I started to believe you couldn't have both good prices and good treatment at a B&M, but I'm sure some BOTL have to have an overall good go to shop.

That sucks to hear about your experiences. I've gone into a few shops around here like that, but there are some that are very good in the city. I agree with you though, they should try to do better. For some reason a lot of owners and employees in this business have a really snobby know-it-all attitude. One shop near me is rather large, and the guy who runs it is pretty knowledgeable and a pretty nice guy, but they need a better selection! Most of the smokes I go for either aren't in stock or there are 2 or 3 crooked beat up sticks left in the box. The shop is one of 4 or 5 locations and I don't understand it because one of the sister shops 20 minutes the opposite way has such a bigger selection with more in stock, and the humidor is about the same size.

Would you care to mention which shop had the coffee bar that was treating you like that? I just want to be sure to never go there!

It's not just cigar stores where you'll run into this sort of behaviour. And I'd venture a guess there are several factors that play into that sort of behaviour. Find one where you feel welcome, and stick with them. Maybe a bottle or a gift basket on Christmas if they celebrate it, and if really offer you exceptional service. There is so much to be gained with a smile, and a friendly attitude. I hope you find such a place.

That sucks to hear about your experiences. I've gone into a few shops around here like that, but there are some that are very good in the city. I agree with you though, they should try to do better. For some reason a lot of owners and employees in this business have a really snobby know-it-all attitude. One shop near me is rather large, and the guy who runs it is pretty knowledgeable and a pretty nice guy, but they need a better selection! Most of the smokes I go for either aren't in stock or there are 2 or 3 crooked beat up sticks left in the box. The shop is one of 4 or 5 locations and I don't understand it because one of the sister shops 20 minutes the opposite way has such a bigger selection with more in stock, and the humidor is about the same size.

Would you care to mention which shop had the coffee bar that was treating you like that? I just want to be sure to never go there!

I'll PM you as to not start any unneccessary flaming (warranted or not).

That sucks man. There are a lot of really nice and friendly cigar shops around here, one right on main street where you can smoke right outside the shop and eat (Yay, New Hampshire), and another more industrial shop. I've always felt welcome by the B&M owners at both shops, but at first the "regulars" gave me some looks.

Unfortunately, sometimes I do think it takes a few visits.

Great topic here. I live up in Minnesota, and the first B&M I went to when I started buying cigars was less than friendly towards myself when I first started showing up. I was shadowed from shelf to shelf by a worker while in the humidor not to aid me in my purchase but to make sure I didn't pocket any of the goods. I did find the cigar I wanted to buy, and a couple brands I had heard about and was willing to try, but once I asked is there any other choices the cleck could think of I should try as a fairly new cigar smoker I was guided to the most expensive cigars in the store...I passed on the Davidoff's since at the time $25 cigars seemed way out of my league. I decided to smoke one of buy cigars in the shop after purchasing 4 cigars. I noticed quickly there was an old boys club with the regulars here...no big deal really but it also did not make me feel any more welcome in the shop than the clerk had me feeling. I went on and off to the store for a few months once or twice a week. After a while when I came in the guy behind the counter would greet me with "oh hey Ricardo" which I guess was an least was an effort to make me feel at home...although my name is Joe. To this day if I go into this shop the same guy still calls me Ricardo even though I have corrected him 10 plus times.

Shortly after these first few months I went down to the Outlaw in K.C. with Swifty for a Padron event and found a completely different attitude, and atmosphere. The staff was cool, and downright cigar friendly even in the middle of one hectic event day. The regulars were also very easy going and welcoming to a new face in the shop. I left that weekend bummed I would have to go home to my shop, and decided I would try a shop in Mlps and hope for a better outcome. I am pleased to say I did just that I found two shops that I think are great Golden Leaf in Minneapolis and Tabacco Grove in a northern suburb. One has great staff who made me feel at home right away, and the other I see as more of a "high end shop" that will go out of their way to get just about any cigar I ask for as well as a good shop for newer brands out there to try when suggested by the folks behind the counter.

I easily could have stopped local buying and just become a internet shopper after my first experience, but I was lucky and had other choices around to try. If I wasn't lucky enough to live in a larger city that had options I would have missed out on a great part of our hobby. I enjoy the "Cheers" type atmophere of a good B&M and have been lucky to meet some great folks over a cigar and a drink. Lets be honest just to be able to stroll into a nicely stocked walk-in is my version of a kid in a candy store these days.

So the next time you are in your favorite shop and you see a new face take a second and greet em, hell if the cleck is having a bad day(it ain't like we all can't have one of those from time to time) you may make a BOTL's day and bring them back again.

I've always felt welcome by the B&M owners at both shops, but at first the "regulars" gave me some looks.

Yeah I know and despite the asshattery at this place I am going to try and give them another chance. There was actually a young sales guy that came in later that was actually okay...ironically the owner/manager instructed the old woman to "supervise him and make sure everything is alright" but he was the only one being courteous to folks.

I've always felt welcome by the B&M owners at both shops, but at first the "regulars" gave me some looks.

Yeah I know and despite the asshattery at this place I am going to try and give them another chance. There was actually a young sales guy that came in later that was actually okay...ironically the owner/manager instructed the old woman to "supervise him and make sure everything is alright" but he was the only one being courteous to folks.

Got your PM and I find it funny that I knew exactly what place you were talking about from your first post. It very well could be what these guys have said here, maybe a couple more visits would change things. The coffee bar there is really nice and now that you've talked about it, maybe I also could make a second trip for a second chance. I live right near there, maybe one day we can meet up there, give them some business and have a smoke and see if anything changes.

Being a young cigar smoker, I encounter this ALL TOO OFTEN! After smoking for almost 3 years and being on multiple cigar websites on a regular basis, I consider myself to be knowledgable about cigars. I may not know every brand out there, but I certainly can hold my own and have tasted many differet cigars from many regions. I know what I like, and I know what I don't like. Anyways, there are a few shops I shop at, probably on a monthly basis. The last time I went to a VERY popular shop in IL, I met up with a brother from Cigarweekly. He's a young smoker (25), and he and I went into the walk-in together to pick out what I was going to smoke. I had a good idea of a stick I wanted to try, but I always look around and take my time with my selections. We were standing in the humi for about 30 seconds, talking, not touching but looking and in walks a worker. He looked us up and down and then messed around with one of the boxes near the door. Finally he asked us if we needed help, in that annoyed tone... and we said no. He then asked me what I enjoyed smoking. I told him my favorites, and he started rattling off a random cigar and after each suggestion he made, I followed "I've had it, didn't like it" or "i've had it, good, but not interested". He finally realized that...like I said I didn't need any help and walked away, kind of annoyed.

The reason I'm retelling that story is because shop owners always seem to think that young smokers are looking to steal from them, or something. I dont understand why we got the look up and down (I was wearing a CAO America hat for god sakes!), like we didn't belong there. This only pisses me off and makes me feel better about my purchases that I make online. IMO, some B&Ms are losing customers because of their actions and in some other cases their obnoxiously outrageous prices.

I'm sorry you have to deal with this, as I feel your pain. I've run into a few B&M's that made me feel so uncomfortable, that I just turned around and left. The only time that didn't apply was when I went to a B&M about 20 mins south of B-more. With the looks they shot my way, you would've thought I stormed into their private gathering place. One sales person was making some pretty racist statements because his login to the cash register wasn't working. (yeah, you are probably just as confused as I was). Unfortunately, they were the only B&M in the area with TAT series P's in stock, so I quickly made my purchase and ran out.

On the other side of the coin, I have run into some AWESOME B&M's with excellent customer service. Everything from answering my questions in professional manner, small talk, to even offering me a drink from time to time.

What's really unfortunate, like MadMonk said, it is not just cigar shops. Customer Service has pretty much gone to the crapper in general.

Got your PM and I find it funny that I knew exactly what place you were talking about from your first post. It very well could be what these guys have said here, maybe a couple more visits would change things. The coffee bar there is really nice and now that you've talked about it, maybe I also could make a second trip for a second chance. I live right near there, maybe one day we can meet up there, give them some business and have a smoke and see if anything changes.

Definitely! I hear they are open "mall hours". Maybe we can catch a game there...assuming the Eagles continue to show up and actually PLAY!

I had a really good B&M that I used to go to every week. I had an excellent relationship with the owner, and an acceptable relationship with the other two staff. When I found out that an Australian bought cigar (internet or B&M) is roughly 250% more expensive, I concluded that even the most winning smile could not entice me to by Australian anymore.

Great disscussion brothers! I really enjoyed reading everyone's point of view. I am off to bed. I have another big day of lounging around the house tomorrow (well today)...still on vacation! Look for some more newbie beer reviews from me on the other forum. That's my tasks this week....smoking lots of cigars and learning about good beer! Hard work. Goodnight all!