• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Bill’s best years for Cuban cigars

You should edit the OP to add box factory codes to look for in those years. Such as POS 2006 & 2007. LUB 2014 (2013 too?). MUR 2013... That and brands in those codes to look for. Thanks for taking the time Bill, and looking forward to your input and post on the subject..
OP updated with some box codes, more codes and some brands will be next.

Bill @CigSid any idea of the best codes for 2019 since you think it’s shaping to be a good year. Or is it too early to say anything on that

I think 2014 does belong on top. Anything LUB 2014 I see up for grabs is a no brainer worthwhile investment. Even if I’m poor at the time.
I think 2007 is too low, but in fairness, it doesn’t apply to all brands. Things like Bolivar (Royal Corona), Montecristo (Edmundo), and RYJ (Short Churchill) have been stellar from then. Especially, anything the POS factory code, but the limited larger sized amount of Cohiba from 2007 have left me scratching my head. Granted I haven’t had any Cohiba from 2007 in 6 or more years.
The bold codes are the exceptions for all dates, for example, POS 2006 and 2007 are some of the best box codes ever... but, the overall offerings for the year 2007 are sub par...

2020 seems to be a stellar year, so far, in my preliminary findings... Myself, and a number of other Cuban cigar smokers have noticed something that’s been missing for a while on freshly rolled cigars... ammonia. Due to the recent embargoes for insecticides, Fertilizer and other chemicals designed to “speed up” the fermentation process (to make the cigars smokable right away) This old school farming has surprised everyone, including the Robaina family, saying “this was the best crop we’ve seen in 20 years” This is why you get a sharp smell from the 2020 dated boxes... and this is a damn good thing... why, you ask? Because back in the old days when it was common to open a box and smell ammonia mixed with a “barnyard” odor, you knew right away this was going to aged perfectly. This is exactly what we are seeing in 2020. Initially there were complaints, mostly from 10 year and less smokers, who are used to opening a “new” box and smoking them ROTT (you can still do this with the 2019 boxes) Now, you will get some funky tastes and smells from these fresh boxes as the organic components in the tobacco break down. This enables the cigar to “naturally” age. You can still smoke these cigars with the understanding that they will will have tasting irregularitie, but try to age these for at least a few years, and you will be rewarded with rich creamy viscous heavenly smoke...

I’ve seen Hirochi talking about this. He and everyone else seem very excited for the 2021 crop they just planted last week. I hope conditions with the weather are as ideal as their hopes are.

@CigSid Bill outside of UK that’s getting some of the best grade Cuban tobacco from what I understand how are the rest of the countries fare on that scale. Other European countries, Australia, Canada, Asia etc ?

@CigSid Bill outside of UK that’s getting some of the best grade Cuban tobacco from what I understand how are the rest of the countries fare on that scale. Other European countries, Australia, Canada, Asia etc ?
Europe (UK, France, Germany, etc), still have the best grade of cuban cigars, followed by Spain, Australia, China, Canada, and the Middle East... Of course if you can get to Cuba, that’s a great place to get quality cigars 😊