• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Bird Watchers

Awwww! What did Tom ever do to you??!!? Besides taste really good! 😂
He just happens to top my “taste wheel”! :cool: I have five or six gobbling around me, but none answering directly. Now we wait!

Floyd T

I've been trying to find a class to take here. Is this your first one?
Yes - at our local community college (I'm an employee so I get free tuition. :cool:) It was a good class, but... It is more "art" based than an actual photography class. I guess it's nice to understand how to frame a subject, and why certain shots look better than others. But there was a lot of "fluff" related to things I don't think I'll ever use in my photographs. Half the class was learning how to use Photoshop to process the photos (which was great) but we actually got into the "artistic" uses of photoshop. It reminded me of all the crazy made up pictures the boys would post here many years ago...

I did sign up for a non-credit course which actually seemed to be more related to what I needed called, "Well Shoot!" it's put on by a photography teacher and a local meteorologist that's really into photography. Unfortunately there was not enough interest to hold the class this time. I am hoping to be able to take it in the future.

But if I could offer a suggestion - I was able to secure a free membership to Craftsy.com through T-Mobile and it's an amazing place to learn about photography. They have "classes" on a lot of topics related to how to take pictures and how to process them - everything from nature to portraits to wedding photography, etc. Lots of amazing information that helps to understand the camera, its limits, and how to make everything look stellar on the back side. I credit the photos I've taken to what I've learned through there more than what I learned in the class I'm taking.

Gorgeous!!! Thanks for sharing! I haven’t seen one of those in years.
I’m hoping it’s like last summer. We had a couple of males and 4-5 females visiting every day. They’re very hard to miss! That was the first year we’ve ever seen them. It’s great I see the first one this year - and it appears he’s scouting to nest in our trees.

I’m hoping it’s like last summer. We had a couple of males and 4-5 females visiting every day. They’re very hard to miss! That was the first year we’ve ever seen them. It’s great I see the first one this year - and it appears he’s scouting to nest in our trees.
I just didn’t know that they were as far out as Illinois. I thought they were primary only on the east coast at states like Maryland and Virginia.

View attachment 55030
Bummed the picture is so soft…. It would have been so cool if I had nailed the focus. The trouble with trying to shoot an action photo!
Still a very cool photograph!

View attachment 55027
…and he’s hanging around! Looks like he might be checking out nesting options in the tree in the front yard.
George,

If that's an Oriole, we have them in NE Missouri, too. We have four males using our feeder right now. We put grape jelly out for them, and of course they drink from the humming bird feeders, too. Very cool bird.

Floyd T

Damn George, love your pictures. I had photography in HS and loved it. Have dabbled here and there since, but nothing too serious. Guess I need to put out some feeders and see what we get. Probably just boring sparrows, robins and grackles. Certainly nothing like your bird sanctuary 😂

Damn George, love your pictures. I had photography in HS and loved it. Have dabbled here and there since, but nothing too serious. Guess I need to put out some feeders and see what we get. Probably just boring sparrows, robins and grackles. Certainly nothing like your bird sanctuary 😂
Yeah, you guys have inspired me to put out some feeders too!