• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

CigarPass Cigar Draft 2006 - BRAVO DRAFT

I will shoot a PM to CgarDan since he has pick #5.

I will shoot a PM to CgarDan since he has pick #5.

I don't think any of us have any idea how well oiled this draft will be, but you might consider sending a few selections to the person behind your 2nd pick as well.

Anyone have an idea if I'm off base with this thought? I'm hoping this doesn't take as long as the NFL draft.

12 & 13... don't hurt yourself trying to edge out the next guy.

I know it is last minute, but with my head cold I have lots of non sleep time to think.

For me, I feel the excitement portion of this draft will be sitting back, watching the picks come out. Worrying about someone taking my next planned stick, and finally when my pick comes back up, looking over the remaining sticks and making a strategic decision based upon the actual pool at that time.

Other than possibly Wilkey, who has graciously donated humidor space not to mention time, I doubt any of us need this Draft to be over in a day or two. It would kind of steal the fun from it for me.

With that as my premise, I am proposing that none of us should be forced to pick during business hours 8-5 in our time zone. I'm not suggesting that we can't pick if we have access and time, but lets face it, those jobs are what pay for this game we are playing.

Additionally, it has been asked and not answered, "What is a reasonable amount of time to complete your pick?" I would suggest 1-1 1/2 hours from the later of either the previous pick or 5PM in your time zone. For the sake of those of us with kids, a 10PM bedtime would also be appreciated.

So with guidelines like these (please feel free to object) most everyone will be able to be present for their pick. If you think your pick will be up and you know you will not be home then follow the previous procedure of PMs and postings.

A traditional box pass takes weeks, and nobody complains, I don't have a problem with this one stretching some so that everyone can maximize their fun.

Matt

Gentlemen,

These are all very good questions and I think your fellow participants in the pass are coming up with the kinds of reasonable answers I would offer.

As for making picks, let's just see how it starts out as this is the first time for many of you as it is for me. It will not be mine or Dan's objective to penalize anyone and you can be sure that we ideally want everyone to be able to make all their picks in their original slots. We're going to play it just a bit on the flexible side since this is our first time through and fun is the primary objective. I would probably wait a few hours before moving anyone especially if I've been contacted beforehand.

From reading other pick threads it appears that two weeks would not be an unreasonable for a draft of this size to wrap up. I hope this gives you guys a bit of a sense that at times it may move quickly and at other times, several hours may pass with no action. That's just the way these seem to go. As for the overnight, aside from 1:00 AM - 5:00 AM, I suspect there are wide bands on either side that count as "not quite overnight" for many folks so we'll see what happens the first day or two.

I think we've got enough "exact" guidelines, now is the time where the rubber hits the road and all the participants and the draft coordinators will work together to deal with things as they unfold in real time.

How's that? :D

BTW, I was at the NYC herf last night and had the opportunity to talk and smoke with CgarDan, the BRAVO Draft coordinator. Dan's a great guy with a good head on his shoulders and I'm really pleased to be working with him on this.

ALPHA Draft Note: Today I have a project meeting starting at, you guessed it, 5:00 PM EST, and I may not be there to officially kick things off. I will try to post at 5:00 to start things rolling but I can't guarantee that. I've already mentioned this to Dan and asked him to keep an eye on things here in ALPHA should I be AWOL. In the case that I am not there, the official start time will be determined by the NIST Atomic Clock Timer Server.

Wilkey

(Cross posted in ALPHA and BRAVO)

(Cross posted in ALPHA and BRAVO)
Hmmmm, I had my suspicions about you! ROFLMAO

Good post Wilkey, and I agree, being that this is the first time we're doing this, we'll learn as we go, no need to get out the whips and chains on anyone to soon!

It looks as though I had the wrong idea as to how the draft would go. Don't take it as an expression of disappointment; but I had envisioned a fantasy football type of draft where I would leave work a few minutes early and head home for 5PM. From there I would light up a cigar, pour some Zacapa, and follow this through for rest of the night.

As I understand it now; this could take a week or longer and potentially between any two picks we could have a couple hours of acceptable waiting time on our hands. In this event, I will no longer head out of work early as I should be home and ready by the time the Bravo draft moves to pick #7. Also, there shouldn't be a need to sit and stare at the computer. Rather, I will likely head out to get a Christmas tree and pick up a few other things tonight after making my first pick.

A little clarification would be appreciated on what's expected of the participants of the draft. I would just like to avoid the situation where I am eagerly anticipating the progression of the draft, only to be disappointed because I wasted a night staring at the computer while someone else didn't log on to make their pick. I also don't want to move on with things I need to do and risk disappointing someone else who may end up waiting upon my selection.

Ok guys I see there is some confusion on how the timing of the draft should go so here is some clarification as asked for:

Rule 1: HAVE FUN

As cigar smokers we are accustomed to taking it easy kicking back and not worrying much about the little things, please keep that in mind during this draft.

The time this kicks off today is 5 pm EST

I know that many of us are very eager to get this going but we also have other obligations such as work :angry: , family :love: etc.

Let's make it a general rule that a person has about 2 hours to make their pick. As was previouslly suggested if someone feels that they might be tied up when their pick is due, please PM me 4-5 top selections and I will be happy to make the pick for you.

Also during the overnight hours from 12-6 EST people are free to make their picks but don't be surpized if there is no activity as we all have to get our zees at some point.

With all that said please refer to the most important rule of the game

Rule 1: HAVE FUN

While I agree that this shouldn't be something we rush, I think it is really important to keep things flowing steadily. One possible difference from other drafts is this one is starting just before Christmas. If it gets too close to Christmas and the draft isn't complete I envision things slowing down a lot. The closer we get, the more traveling/other commitments/general holiday chaos will occur. And with regards to mmburth's idea about not having picks during regular business hours, I don't think that is really a plausibe idea because of time zone differences. That would give us roughly a 2-3 hour pick window every day when you account for travel time. The problem is because the pick order was randomly decided there isn't time zone coordination so you can't have the east coast folks pick at one time and the rest at another. I am sure things will go great and Dan seems to have a pretty good handle on how to deal with timing issues. Lets have a great draft everybody!

I agree, I think all will go smooth, and probably quicker than we anticipate just because of the excitement of it all. I for one am really looking forward to it, hell, I sent an Excel document to Dan with all the sitcks and my preference for them all.

I agree, I think all will go smooth, and probably quicker than we anticipate just because of the excitement of it all. I for one am really looking forward to it, hell, I sent an Excel document to Dan with all the sitcks and my preference for them all.

LOL! Wade, I thought I was the only one. Do you have pivot tables and wrapper cross references to avoid to many maduros, etc? I don't feel so bad now!! Good luck, boyz.

Do you have pivot tables and wrapper cross references to avoid to many maduros, etc? I don't feel so bad now!! Good luck, boyz.
No, but my list is complete from 1-60 listing in order each stick I'll take. I'm prepared, I'll need no war room time tonight! ;)

Calling Blue Dragon :whistling:

Let the draft begin !!!!!!!!!!

Well, on the bright side, at least my #1 stick isnt gone yet! :laugh:

Damn, the Alpha Draft is on their 4th pick already!