• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cigars and Beer

BitterRat

People are starting to realize that beer is a great match with food, even to say it's better than wine in many instances. So I started thinking about many of the references in this section of the CP where folks mention they had this smoke or that smoke with a beer. So why not put that in one thread, where we could all see what others are smoking with a particular beer, maybe add some insight on why they liked or disliked the combination that they selected. I will start ,I like to smoke a Padron 1926 Series #35 Maduro with Octoberfest beers. The maltiness of the beer just seems to work great with that cigar. Both seeming to enhance each other in a way that is difficult for me to describe, but the play between the two makes for a great experience. So what about others, what cigar do you reach for with a particular beer or style of beer?

You make perfect sense, and as far as Octoberfest beer is there one in particular that you like to pair it with?

I smoke almost exclusively with beer. I've found that anything that's nice and malty pairs well with a cigar to my tastes. I especially like quads, porters, and scottish ales with cigars. I try to avoid really hoppy beers with cigars, as they tend to overpower the cigar.

edit: Oh yeah, I really like barley wines and RIS with cigars too. Especially if they're aged and have smoothed out a little.

I usually don't reach for a good beer with a cigar as the cigar tends to always overpower it. However if I do drink a beer while smoking it is almost always a big, sweet, malty beer rather than a bitter or hoppy beer. A nice big English barley wine or an Imperial Russian Stout are good choices.

EDIT - Damn Justin were you reading my mind while I was posting!?

You make perfect sense, and as far as Octoberfest beer is there one in particular that you like to pair it with?
Initially it was Sprecher O'fest that wowed me. It was one of those times when everything seemed perfect as I was sitting at a beach in Door County, Wis watching the sunset, enjoying an O'fest and a Padron, truelly enjoyable!!

I try to avoid really hoppy beers with cigars, as they tend to overpower the cigar.
Yeah, I know what you mean, I have yet been able to pair an IPA or Double IPA with a cigar and enjoy it!!

I had a Unibroue Blanche De Chambly recently with a Padron 3000. It was a nice match but not great or complimentary. For the weekend, anybody have any suggestions on what type of cigar to pair with Green Flash Barleywine or Avery Beast?

For the weekend, anybody have any suggestions on what type of cigar to pair with Green Flash Barleywine or Avery Beast?

Hemmie Maduro or a another smooth medium bodied smoke.

I smoked a Pepin JJ Salomone last night while drinking ice cold DUTCH Heineken and it was just an awesome combo.

I smoked a Pepin JJ Salomone last night while drinking ice cold DUTCH Heineken and it was just an awesome combo.

I thought you only drank Kulmbacher Eisbock? :p

Had a St Bernardus abt 12 with a Monte Edmundo last night. I enjoyed it so much that I will have to do it again tonight.

Had a St Bernardus abt 12 with a Monte Edmundo last night. I enjoyed it so much that I will have to do it again tonight.

Yum! I'm telling ya, if you haven't tried a nice quad with a nice stick, you're missing out.

<<says the quad whore>>

I usually don't reach for a good beer with a cigar as the cigar tends to always overpower it. However if I do drink a beer while smoking it is almost always a big, sweet, malty beer rather than a bitter or hoppy beer. A nice big English barley wine or an Imperial Russian Stout are good choices.

EDIT - Damn Justin were you reading my mind while I was posting!?

Yep. The two beers I've enjoyed with cigars are DD's favorite Fat Tire (f'n with you bro) and Guinness. The creamy coffee flavors found in Guinness go well with many types of cigars.

Personally, I believe one of the best Oktoberfest beers out there right now is Sam Adams Oktoberfest. Check it out and let us know what you think. I find it pairs well with almost every cigar.

MMMMMMM, Beer!!!!!
I like anything, and just like cigars.............it depends on the mood I'm in at the moment. Some of the ones I like are Becks, Guiness, Newcastle Brown Ale, and Bishops Finger a Kentish strong ale.

Oh! And thanks to Jonesy, I have been drinking Youngs Double Chocolate Stout. I don't taste chocolate, but rather a nice burnt hops/caramel flavor.

I just recently found a store down the road that had a buttload of Stones' Smoked Porter, I can't wait to pair that one.............Any suggestions Jonas or Justin?????

Personally, I believe one of the best Oktoberfest beers out there right now is Sam Adams Oktoberfest. Check it out and let us know what you think. I find it pairs well with almost every cigar.

Have you tried the Paulaner Oktoberfest this year? I had the Sam Adams and Paulaner last night and the german one seemed to have more flavor. Of course, it is a personal preference but just wanted to throw it out there.

Have you tried the Paulaner Oktoberfest this year? I had the Sam Adams and Paulaner last night and the german one seemed to have more flavor. Of course, it is a personal preference but just wanted to throw it out there.

I have a case of Paulaner Oktoberfest sitting down in the keller right now, and its good stuff!

Sam Adams is a damn good American beer though.

Wurm,

Agreed, Sam Adams is good stuff. Do you know if they sell the Oktoberfest in a 5 liter Keg? I've only seen 24 packs at Costco.

Bevmo has the Paulaner in those mini kegs and I've heard that it taste better than the bottle. I want to have both and do another comparison.

Haven't seen the Sam Adams Oktoberfest beer in a 5 liter keg, I'd buy one if I did lol.

And yes as always, keg beer tastes better than bottle beer (Weizen being the only exception to the rule), just make sure you have a friend over when you crack the Paulaner keg. 5 liters of Oktoberfest beer is A LOT! lol

And to answer a brothers question about Dutch Heineken... its not as watery as the American version, its also 6% Alcohol :thumbs:

And DD, lol Kulmbacher Eisbock tastes like cough syrup, I don't drink that stuff :p EKU 28 is also nasty.

*edit to fix beer induced spelling lol