• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Drew Estates Nica Rustica

bluue13

6x52
CT Broadleaf Wrapper
Mexican San Andreas Negro binder
Nicaraguan long filler (Esteli and Jalapa)

I received this cigar pre-release at the Drew Estates event a few weeks ago.  The night was fantastic, Marvin was a fascinating storyteller and it was a great time.

He explained how this cigar was made to be a more rustic "un-refined" blend with a better home for the Mexican San Andreas Negro leaf as compared to the Undercrown wrapper.   I wish I could remember everything he said about it but to be honest I was a few deep and had a good nic buzz going from the Liga Privada No. 9 I was enjoying. I'll let you read through my review notes but overall this is a cigar I'm really looking forward to purchasing.

After a fairly long Monday at work I decided I had waited long enough to set fire to it.

At first glance and inspection, the construction is nearly flawless.  I say nearly, as the cap is a bit rough and there are a few noticible "seams" where the wrapper overlaps during rolling.  It is a pigtail cap with a closed foot.  It is quite firm to the touch with just the right amount of give and no soft spots.  Very well filled.

Aroma from the foot is pleasantly sweet and reminicent of a nice roasted coffee.  I pinched off the pigtail and took a cold draw but didnt get enough of a pull so I clipped a little bit more off and the draw was perfect with muted sweetness.

After toasting and lighting and taking a few good puffs I was immediately greeted with lots of spice and very strong espresso notes.  I let the fire work its way evenly around and started into the first 3rd.

First 3rd
Tons of smoke.  I love this about DE cigars.  I'm getting lots of rich tobacco flavors and spice at the back of the tongue.  This cigar has an incredibly smooth draw and the ash is light gray and holding nicely.  The sweetness is a great contrast to the spice and not overbearing at all.  Very good smoke so far and the spice smooths out as the first 3rd finishes.

Second 3rd
More rich coffee flavors are developing now. Nice deep full flavored cigar so far.  Very enjoyable.  This cigar continues to produce copious amounts of smoke and the flavors are superb.  It is almost reminiscent of a smoother Padron 2000 maduro.  The spice returns a little through this part of the cigar and its a nice balance to the rich chocolatey notes.  The burn isn't perfect but its pretty damn close with no touch ups needed.  The draw remains incredibly smooth.

Final 3rd
Rich coffee and dark molasses flavors developing, but not overpowering.  Very well balanced.  Getting notes of something close to pralines, but without the syrupy sweetness of brown sugar.  I know that sounds like a contrast to my molasses note but its all I can think of to describe it.  Very very enjoyable.  There is almost no spice again until the last few draws toward the nub.  The burn has remained spot on and the draw is flawless.  Fantastic smoke.

Overall I highly recommend this smoke.  I believe it has been released to a few places by now.  Marvin mentioned that they would be rolling them out to shops starting at the end of October.  The MSRP I believe is going to be in the $6 range which, to me, makes it a very affordable smoke and a contestant for a go-to stick.  I highly enjoyed this cigar and am very appreciative for the opportunity to have received a preview of it from the fine gents at DE.  These guys are doing business right in my book.  

photo1.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo3.jpg

photo5.jpg

Nice review! Have been highly anticipating this one since it was announced.

Great job...a review I can finally trust!

The release was pushed back a ways I read...are they finally out yet? 

ironpeddler said:
Great job...a review I can finally trust!

The release was pushed back a ways I read...are they finally out yet? 
Thanks, Gary.

Haven't seen anything to say that its officially released yet.  A few online retailers seem to have them avaialble, some say you can order them now, others say backorder.  My guess is that its all backorder and some places are trying to draw more business from the competition. 

Haven't seen them in my local B&M yet so I'm deftinitely keeping my eyes peeled.

My girlfriend told me that The Humidor... where the Drew Estate event was held has them.  I think they posted it on Facebook.

Great review..!!

Now, I'm looking forward to trying these.  Mexican wrapper leaf can make really wonderful cigars.  I really enjoy the Murcielago blend which of course has a Mexican San Andreas Maduro wrapper. 

The guys at Drew Estates are really knocking it out of the park lately...this will be a great one to try.

I received a couple pre-release sticks from the Hawaii crew and have yet to try one. I might just fire one up sometime this week :) 

Jason

Backslide said:
I received a couple pre-release sticks from the Hawaii crew and have yet to try one. I might just fire one up sometime this week :)

Jason

From what I've read, the production version is a bit different than the pre-release version. Supposedly the earlier cigars had a little of a certain leaf (Liga?) not found in the final version. 

Urban legend or fact?...who the hell knows.

I do believe you're correct there was a certain leaf left out of the final blend. From what I've read it didn't dramatically change the outcome.

Walked into my local humi and saw the Nica on the band.  Excited I bought two to find out I purchased Alec Bradley Nica Puro instead of Drew Estate Nica Rustica.  Sad panda...

Hey Greg - Nice review.

My B&M hosted a Drew Estates event last night. I picked up a handful to try. I have enjoyed most of the Drew Estates releases and I'm certain these will be no exception.

Burning one of these right now. Clean and smooth, long tight ash. I am headed back to grab a few more

Great review! My B&M has these and I had my first one last night. Good flavors, nice burn and I get the whole 'rustic' thing but mine had a tight draw. I'll definetly give them another go since you said your draw was smooth, might have been that one cigar. 

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:11161]

AshesTwoAshes said:

Great review! My B&M has these and I had my first one last night. Good flavors, nice burn and I get the whole 'rustic' thing but mine had a tight draw. I'll definetly give them another go since you said your draw was smooth, might have been that one cigar. 

Ralph, it's been my experiences with Drew Estate cigars that they tend to ship them a bit moist...I guess to allow for the lack of proper humidification during shipment.

Either dry box the next one or give it time to adjust in your humidor for a few weeks and it will smoke much easier.

Good suggestion Gary. I was a little anxious to try it, especially on the advice of the tobacconist so I smoked it shortly after buying it. I'll give the next one time to rest in my humi for a while first.

Thanks for the great review. Had one tonight. Like Gary mentioned it was a little too moist for my taste and I had some burn issues. Good cigar overall with tons of smoke. 

Picked up a fiver at my B&M the other day.  The Padron comment in this review is pretty spot on.  The problem for me though is I'm not a huge fan of the Padron 1000 series of cigars so the Rustica was a bit of a let down for me.  Don't know what it was but was just a little too flat I guess (for lack of a better word).  I'm hoping the other four I've got in the humidor will change my mind though.

Smoke what you like and like what you smoke!  I feel these will do really well with some age.

bluue13 said:
Smoke what you like and like what you smoke!  I feel these will do really well with some age.
I've smoked more than my share of the Nica already, 15 to be exact, and I think you've hit the nail on the head bluue13. These are very unrefined, thick, and heavy smokes and I believe that's exactly what DE was going for. With some age, these will become wonderful smokes for sure. Excellent review bluue13!