• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Giving them Away (Contest)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mindflux said:
cigarsarge said:
Check your PM box Mindflux...This ain't any of Lance's business.
[snapback]265141[/snapback]​

To be blantantly honest it's nobody's business but Mine and the OP's, then.

Just stating the obvious.
[snapback]265156[/snapback]​

I had cigars of mine to be given out in the contest...So that kinda makes it my business.

Sorry about the post pad.

Mindflux said:
BlindedByScience said:
I think it's pretty damned arrogant to show up as a new guy and tell us what the rules are that we have to follow to give away our own cigars. If you want to "fit in" and actually contribute to the greater good of this board, you're off to a lousy start.

My $00.02 - B.B.S.
[snapback]265101[/snapback]​

Where did I say what rules had to be followed? I just said I didnt' agree with the contest rules, I didn't say to change them. I just said I disagreed.

I'm still not seeing examples from sarge or you regarding where I said you had to follow any rules but your own. Go ahead and show me. I said if this was a contest for newbies the rules could easily stipulate under 100 posts or under xyz days on the forum.. it's called a recommendation. Something nobody has to listen to, or someone CAN listen to if they want.

You guys are pretty wound up about this.. where's your xmas cheer?

I think part of the problem is how things come off textually, personally. It's all good though. I'm done with this thread.

***Edited because some things can be misconstrued textually. That is not my intention.
[snapback]265105[/snapback]​

Don't talk about it! Do it! I am so sick of hearing "I'm done with this thread/board or whatever" and then having that person continue to mouth off! If you're done, be done. You are only hurting yourself by continuing with the attitude!

I was going to go back and quote all the BS that you posted, but I think it's beyond that already. You've dug yourself a deep enough hole as it is, you certainly don't need my help in making it deeper.

If you don't see how you were wrong with your first criticism, I think you are beyond help. We've tried to show you, give you advice, explain why the contest worked out the way it did, all to no avail. What's that saying....you can lead a horse to water....

whatever, you started it, I think I'll just sit back and watch to elders handle it.

Wow... someone bitching about the rules to a member's contest. Is it me or is the attitude 'thing' appearing more and more here? Who cares what 'rep' they have anywhere else- CP is CP... and newbie is newbie. Even if you are not a newbie to cigars and boards, you ARE a newbie here and should not think otherwise.

Seems to me anyone joining after the contest started would have had the unfair advantage of being able to really pad their intro...

Anyways, good job on the contest guys... :thumbs: nicely done.

(sorry for the post- in a cranky mood today!)

Swissy said:
Wow... someone bitching about the rules to a member's contest. Is it me or is the attitude 'thing' appearing more and more here? Who cares what 'rep' they have anywhere else- CP is CP... and newbie is newbie. Even if you are not a newbie to cigars and boards, you ARE a newbie here and should not think otherwise.

Seems to me anyone joining after the contest started would have had the unfair advantage of being able to really pad their intro...

[snapback]265185[/snapback]​

DAMN STRAIGHT! I tried to tell him that in one of my first replies to his bitching, but it went in one ear and out the other. There is nothing at all unfair about the rules. It was to preven exactly what swissy stated from happening. What's so hard to understand about that?! ??? And even if the rules were "unfair" it's still his contest, with his cigars.

Is there some sort of test we can implement that people have to take to make sure that they "get it" before they can post here???

Talking to these kinds of people is like banging your head against the wall! Sheesh!

bchem said:
Swissy said:

DAMN STRAIGHT! I tried to tell him that in one of my first replies to his bitching, but it went in one ear and out the other. There is nothing at all unfair about the rules. It was to preven exactly what swissy stated from happening. What's so hard to understand about that?! ??? And even if the rules were "unfair" it's still his contest, with his cigars.

Is there some sort of test we can implement that people have to take to make sure that they "get it" before they can post here???

Talking to these kinds of people is like banging your head against the wall! Sheesh!
[snapback]265191[/snapback]​

I was unaware (until earlier today) that you cannot edit your posts after a set amount of time (seems like an hour or two). I did not know this, thus the contest rules make sense in a way. If you go back and look at my entry, it still wasn't paded as you are suggesting can be done.

:rolleyes:

Ok.. so I can go back and edit my Intro, what would stop other folks that had posted their intro before the contest started? Other than the *Edited by such-and-such, unless that was noted as a disqualifier?

:whistling:

Mindflux said:
bchem said:
Swissy said:

[snapback]265191[/snapback]​

I was unaware (until earlier today) that you cannot edit your posts after a set amount of time (seems like an hour or two). I did not know this, thus the contest rules make sense in a way. If you go back and look at my entry, it still wasn't paded as you are suggesting can be done.

:rolleyes:

Ok.. so I can go back and edit my Intro, what would stop other folks that had posted their intro before the contest started? Other than the *Edited by such-and-such, unless that was noted as a disqualifier?

:whistling:
[snapback]265205[/snapback]​

The rules are almost beside the point right now. The point is how you whined about the contest in general. That's not the way this community works.

If that doesn't make sense, we can go back to the days of playing "tee ball" as a kid. In that case, "It was a tie!" "Everybody is a winner!" We can all go get ice cream since everyone played so hard.

Gimmie your address and I'll send you a fiver if it will make you feel better. Then we all win ;)

The point is how this community works and thrives together. You didn't follow suit with your remarks about the contest. Learn from it and move on. Any more or less will make things worse.

Enjoy!

Mindflux,

This isn't a big deal. I screwed up and entered the contest too late, so be it, no biggie. I didn't read the rules right either. What it comes down to is that these guys are nice enough to offer up a chance for us newbies to win cigars by basically doing nothing.

It's not like we paid money or did anything more than hit "reply" to enter the contest. I understand that you didn't understand the rules, but why does it matter? It's not a big deal. It's not like you're out anything at all.

I just don't understand where the complaining is coming from; and now you're just digging yourself a hole. This advice is coming from another newbie, so just take it as that.

Not looking to join in the drama, but I did want to say "Good Show" to those who started the contest and provided prizes. Though I didn't win, it was nice to have the chance.

It just goes to show the type of folks that are here and the type of folks that I'd like to see everywhere.

Rumblin said:
Mindflux,

This isn't a big deal. I screwed up and entered the contest too late, so be it, no biggie. I didn't read the rules right either. What it comes down to is that these guys are nice enough to offer up a chance for us newbies to win cigars by basically doing nothing.

It's not like we paid money or did anything more than hit "reply" to enter the contest. I understand that you didn't understand the rules, but why does it matter? It's not a big deal. It's not like you're out anything at all.

I just don't understand where the complaining is coming from; and now you're just digging yourself a hole. This advice is coming from another newbie, so just take it as that.
[snapback]265218[/snapback]​

I'm just bitchin about how the rules were written, that's all. I could care less about getting smokes because of it. Just voicing an opinion.. again, it's allowed.

A couple of things here. First, you folks have to learn to use the edit function. It is not needed to repost everything 10 levels back. Second, did anyone else think that ban was awful quick? Third, I need somebody to start a contest for members with more then 5900 posts........I wanna win some cigars too. :thumbs:

Mindflux said:
I'm just bitchin about how the rules were written, that's all. I could care less about getting smokes because of it. Just voicing an opinion.. again, it's allowed.

[snapback]265234[/snapback]​

Therein lies the problem....you have been here for what, all of 8DAYS and are already bitching about how things are done here?!

There was nothing wrong with the rules PERIOD, SPACE TWICE!

This is like moving into a new apartment complex and your neighbor inviting someone over for dinner. You decide to go next door and say, "I don't care if you invited me for dinner or not, I'm just pissed off that you didn't vacuum your carpet!" I'm sure that'd go over about as well as your antics have here.....

AVB said:
A couple of things here. First, you folks have to learn to use the edit function. It is not needed to repost everything 10 levels back. Second, did anyone else think that ban was awful quick? Third, I need somebody to start a contest for members with more then 5900 posts........I wanna win some cigars too. :thumbs:
[snapback]265236[/snapback]​

I'd be happy to host a contest for you old guys...as long as you promise to bitch about the rules when you don't win! :laugh:

bchem said:
Mindflux said:

[snapback]265234[/snapback]​

Therein lies the problem....you have been here for what, all of 8DAYS and are already bitching about how things are done here?!

There was nothing wrong with the rules PERIOD, SPACE TWICE!

This is like moving into a new apartment complex and your neighbor inviting someone over for dinner. You decide to go next door and say, "I don't care if you invited me for dinner or not, I'm just pissed off that you didn't vacuum your carpet!" I'm sure that'd go over about as well as your antics have here.....
[snapback]265237[/snapback]​

That has ABSOLUTELY no relevence to this conversation what so ever. I guess I fail to see your point.

Whatever man.

bchem said:
I'd be happy to host a contest for you old guys...as long as you promise to bitch about the rules when you don't win! :laugh:
[snapback]265238[/snapback]​

ORRRRRRR. Make rules that aren't absurd.

No, I sure don't think the ban was too quick AVB. Did you happen to read what Lance wrote? A newbie with three posts and they're all argumentive, not to mention disrectful to the board. If you beg to disagree, then by all means, please let me know.

Mindflux said:
That has ABSOLUTELY no relevence to this conversation what so ever. I guess I fail to see your point.

Whatever man.
[snapback]265239[/snapback]​

Obviously none of this is getting through to you. Not sure this is worth it anymore. This is the most I've ever posted in one day and I hate that. Don't want to perpetuate this pissing contest any longer. Any other questions, read back through the thread, the problems with your comments have been articulated several times.

Good luck here :whistling:

Mindflux,
I'm not going to argue the point with you. A member created a contest on his own- his contest, his rules. You don't like the rules- oh well, don't play. Don't go and try to change anything- that goes for whining and bitching about it too. You're new here, and welcome. CP is an awesome place, and many of us call it home. You may, or may not, be a long term cigar nut, popular and posting on many other boards- but that doesn't mean JACK here.

EVERYONE starts with a clean slate, old timer and cigar n00b alike. What you do with that clean slate is up to you- you can be like a number of others before you and burn out quickly here, leading to a ban just like Lance just had happen (in damn near record time). Or you can sit back, read a lot, post a little and become known around the site. Join a pass or two, do some trades and/or buys, and get to know the guys here. It's well worth the time, even if you have to bite your tongue a little in doing so.

Enjoy your stay here if you choose to, and again Welcome.

Your move...

Congratulations to the winners. It was fun reading the intros and the profiles of everyone who posted, even if they were posted after the contest. It's too bad this blew up like this, but hey, so goes the world of "As the Cigar Burns" :p

Wow,
Just caught wind of this thread and I'm late to the dance but I'd like to say...

Congratulations to the winners!...and those worthy who came so close. I look forward to personally welcoming each of you to the community. Based on what I've read of your posts and profiles, you're going to like it here, and vice versa.

cletus and BBS,
Great idea for a contest. Not only do you get to generously gift some smokes, but we also get to winnow the chaff.

Wurm,
:thumbs:

Mindflux,
If you listen to no one else, listen to Wurm. If you won't take advantage of the benefit of his experience, then you have no place in this community.

Wilkey

Edit: mixed up cletus and cigarsarge :rolleyes:

First off let me say that I am really excited to have placed first in the contest. Thanks to Cletus and all who helped make this happen (Sarge, BBS, and Tdog). Secondly, I was somewhat shocked and disappointed to come home and read the rest of the thread and what had transpired. Anyway, thanks again to all those involved and can't wait for my prize. :D

Since Roy R. Frush will be away, I think it's appropriate that the next runner up be awarded the fiver as he suggested (as much as I would like to hoard them for myself.) :p

Status
Not open for further replies.