• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Hockey

Here is a link

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/23/sports/hockey/23brawl.html

I haven't much liked Milbury as a pundit on CBC HNIC. But my respect for him has gone up some after reading some his remarks in that article about the incident.

Milbury was great when he first got into TV as he wasn't afraid to talk about inside stuff and what other GMs and owners were like or had said. Since he's been out of the hockey side of things for a few years he seems out of touch now and reaching at times for points. Sometimes on the CBC hotstove he just seems contrary. Regardless I appreciate the fact he isn't afraid to say what's on his mind, as misinformed as it may seem sometimes.

We get much more of Milbury than you Canadian folks do. He co-hosts the intermissions, pre-game and post-game shows during Bruins games and has his own show called the Instigators. The latter he's most contrary. I believe that's how he's trying to position himself. His TV persona is much like the player he was. Tough, no nonsense, lunch bucket guy who came to play every night. That's his shtick and we, here in New England enjoy it. I personally find the Canadians he works with on HNIC bland and wouldn't say shit if they had a mouthful, other than Grapes, of course, who I believe he tries to emulate.

Doc.

You nailed it for sure. The CBC commentators never say shit because god forbid they piss off a player or GM and lose a source. I enjoy Milbury's attitude but perhaps its the fact we're so saturated with radio and newspaper commentators who seem similar that he doesn't get the same notice up here.

The CBC hotstove used to be a must watch when it had some other cantankerous guys on there such as Al Strachan who'd speak their minds but since they moved off those guys (rumour has it it was the NHL and some GMs that encouraged it) it's been boring as shit.

I'm beginning to think the Kings are a cursed franchise. I've officially given up on this season. With the ultra-packed WC, you can't have two large losing streaks and hope to squeak in at the end. While that may be good for the Flyers :p , that stuff doesn't fly out west.

Not sure what the problem(s) with the team is, but it's pretty major. I don't see any major shakeups happening as Lombardi is not that kind of GM, but I do think there are moves to be made. Coaching, to me, is a factor. The Kings play the same exact tired offense game in and game out and the PP is about as predictable as the daily sunrise and sunset.

And the Ducks just keep winning, which is just salt in the wound.

It must be hard following the Kings down there. You don't even get to shovel your driveway to take out your frustrations. Just sun, warm weather and the ocean. You guys have it rough. :laugh:

I'm sure you'll see a coaching change either during the all star break or shortly after or in the summer if this keeps up. I figured the Kings would be right in the middle of the play off picture.

There has been some good news for us Leaf fans...the Habs have some serious injuries. I don't think it'll help the Leafs make the play offs but it still makes me smile.

What do you guys think of the All Star game setup? I personally think it makes it more fun. Who do think will be picked first overall? I think that Eric Staal should pick his brothers. It would be a All Staal team! Lol!

I'm hoping they have the balls to seperate the Sedins. That would be fun to watch. I'm excited to watch the draft. Not too fond that some teams stuffed the ballot box, but that's inevitable when you leave it in the hands of the fans.

Kings vs Bruins tonight. LET'S GO KINGS!!!

I personally dont think the fans should be able to vote. It should be based on stats not popularity. If a player is extremely good and they are on a small market team then they most likely will not get in. It is the same way in baseball.

Yes, I'm dying to see Adrej Meszaros and Toni Lydman and their stellar plus minus stat. I could take or leave that Rick Nash fella.

Hey those guys earned it! LOL! I know what you mean, but I still dont like the popularity contest.

I watched the Leafs vs. Caps. and the Leafs did not look sharp. They had a good power play that didn't pan out, still no magic. Then later in the week I watch the Blackhawks and the Flyers. The Blackhawks look really bad, they had nothing on the Flyers who dominated.

At the end of the Flyers game it was clear why they won so big....first place team.

Hey those guys earned it! LOL! I know what you mean, but I still dont like the popularity contest.

I don't mind the fan voting as much as the need to put one guy, at least, on from each team. I'm glad they changed that this year. Now each team has at least one rep but he may only be in the skills comp and not the game. Apparently they changed that rule so teams like the Leafs won't have to watch as their rep gets picked last.

Yes, I'm dying to see Adrej Meszaros and Toni Lydman and their stellar plus minus stat. I could take or leave that Rick Nash fella.

Now, now, with the Meszaros hating. Not bad when a third pairing defenseman is leading the league in +/-. (He was leading the league before Pronger got hurt and was moved up with Carle so you can't go there either).

Now who here is as sick of hearing Crosby complain about headshots as I am? He was going to boycott the ASG to send a message that he didn't like the lack of punishment doled out to the two that hit him. What a friggin prima donna. I've never liked him because I'm a Flyers fan, but I've always respected his game, but he's no better than the next guy on the ice that gets clocked.

Well no Meszaros hating, I think he's a really good defenseman I just don't want to see him get an automatic spot in the all star game for leading a stat catagory. Although playing against a teams 3rd and fourth line probably don't hurt. :whistling:

There was an update on the Crosby allegations about not wanting to play as a boycott. Apparently that initial story by LeBrun was changed and he denied Crosby specifically said he'd boycott the game. LeBrun tweeted that he may have inferred that from Crosby's complaints. Of course I'm a big Crosby fan so....

I am a huge PENS fan. I like Crosby. Now if he was on your team would you still not like him? Be honest because I would probably not like him because he is beating my team. Maybe if your a Fylers fan you still not might like him. Phily doesnt even like Santa for goodness sake!

Well no Meszaros hating, I think he's a really good defenseman I just don't want to see him get an automatic spot in the all star game for leading a stat catagory. Although playing against a teams 3rd and fourth line probably don't hurt. :whistling:

There was an update on the Crosby allegations about not wanting to play as a boycott. Apparently that initial story by LeBrun was changed and he denied Crosby specifically said he'd boycott the game. LeBrun tweeted that he may have inferred that from Crosby's complaints. Of course I'm a big Crosby fan so....

I totally agree with you on someone getting a spot due to popularity or leading a category.

Meszaros playing against 3rd and 4th lines is a testament to how deep the Flyers are on the back end. Not sure anyone has the depth on the blue line as we do.

I will have to admit that the Flyers are a damn good team this year. I wouldn't be surprised if they win it all this year.

I find all All-Star games a waste of time and potential injury to my favorite players. But this weekend we have something better. The 1st annual Black Ice Pond Hockey tournament. There'll be over a thousand players participating in four man teams. Even the Governor has a team in the over 50 division. I had hoped to play, but couldn't find 3, 60 something crazy Frenchmen to play with the Alex Delveicchio of the geriatric set. They're around, but none of them were willing to embarrass themselves. Something about your only as good as your last game. Anyway as an aside I found out, and I've lived here a number of years, that the first hockey game in the US was played right here in Concord, NH at St. Paul's School in 1883. So I'm going to pack up a few cigars and fill up my hip flask and head to the pond tomorrow to watch the finals.

Doc.