• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Hockey

I can't remember the exact date but one of my favourite games that I can still remember after seeing hundreds of games was years ago. Toronto - Detroit. It was one of the last bench clearing brawls in the NHL and it was awesome. I don't want to see line brawls every game but between two teams that dislike each other it's fun to watch.

One o my favs was when Domi and a Philly fan got into it over the glass in the penalty box....God did I ever hate Domi!

I can't remember the exact date but one of my favourite games that I can still remember after seeing hundreds of games was years ago. Toronto - Detroit. It was one of the last bench clearing brawls in the NHL and it was awesome. I don't want to see line brawls every game but between two teams that dislike each other it's fun to watch.

One o my favs was when Domi and a Philly fan got into it over the glass in the penalty box....God did I ever hate Domi!

You'd have loved him if he played for the Flyers. You probably loved Schultz. Fuggin' thug.:laugh:

Doc.

You guys know my favorite team is the Flyers and I live outside Charlotte, N.C., thus I feel it necessary to pay my cable company $175 a year to have the opportunity to see each Flyers game (and any other one I care to watch if it's not nationally televised). With watching the Flyers on NHL Center Ice, I don't always get to hear Jim Jackson and Keith Jones/Bill Clement (if Keith is working a Versus game) call each game, but get to experience the other teams commentators. Some are great and some are pure homers. If you have Center Ice and get to hear other teams guys call the game, who is you favorite pairing and who is your most hated pairing? I thought I knew who mine were until watching the Flyers/Kings game today (it's intermission now). Geez Louise....the one younger commentator for the Kings would be great to listen to if you were a Kings fan, but talk about someone who thinks their team can do no wrong! He questioned the penalties then after reading the rulebook verbatim, said the Refs "might have gotten the call right". Decided everytime the Flyers forced a penalty, that the player that took it dove, and after Jody Shelley whooped one guys ass, he said "Westgarth controlled that fight from the start. Yea, Shelley was getting some punches in, but I don't think he landed but one".. Geez Dude, are you even watching the same game I am?? Yea, be true to your team, but you also need to have perspective. Now that my rant and intermission are over, who are your pick?

Worst - Buffalo....Every time they score a goal, I think the guy calling it is going to pass out after hollering "Goal"

Best = As much as I hate to admit it, It' the two guys that call the Rangers games. They always have a respect for the other team, you never hear them complain about calls going against the Rangers, and never have anything negative to say (that I hear anyway)

I'm curious to hear what you guys think.

The worst one for me is a tie between Pittsburgh (even though I am a huge fan of the Pens) and the Capitals. Everytime Crosby or Malkin score he starts screaming and I think he is going back to puberty. The Capitals guy is the same way. Plus they will say something that makes you wonder if he really said that.

Best for me is the Avs guy. i think he is entertaining. But I haven't heard many different people call games.

The worst one for me is a tie between Pittsburgh (even though I am a huge fan of the Pens) and the Capitals. Everytime Crosby or Malkin score he starts screaming and I think he is going back to puberty. The Capitals guy is the same way. Plus they will say something that makes you wonder if he really said that.

Best for me is the Avs guy. i think he is entertaining. But I haven't heard many different people call games.

Yea, I'm not much for the guys that call the Pens games either, but damn, I have to mute the tv when the Flyers play the Sabres. Those guys are just that annoying.

I'm not big on Mike Milbury either (although he just does the intermision i think) for the Bruins because the man has a hard on for Bobby Clarke. Doc explained it to me, but that was before my time when they faced off against each other. Seems he can't or won't do a Flyers game unless he can get at least 2-3 shots on Clarke in.

I haven't heard too many myself. It's been a few years since I had centre ice.

Funny thing is I've heard the same about Buffalo's guys from other people. Brad May may be the biggest homer going.

Generally I find the teams in the south have the biggest homers on average.

Up here it's the Sens, hands down although when Greg Milan does a game he's a huge homer of what ever team he thinks has the most viewers. You really notice it up here if you listen to the radio. I guess guys know who butters their bread and have no problem playing to it.

You guys know my favorite team is the Flyers and I live outside Charlotte, N.C., thus I feel it necessary to pay my cable company $175 a year to have the opportunity to see each Flyers game (and any other one I care to watch if it's not nationally televised). With watching the Flyers on NHL Center Ice, I don't always get to hear Jim Jackson and Keith Jones/Bill Clement (if Keith is working a Versus game) call each game, but get to experience the other teams commentators. Some are great and some are pure homers. If you have Center Ice and get to hear other teams guys call the game, who is you favorite pairing and who is your most hated pairing? I thought I knew who mine were until watching the Flyers/Kings game today (it's intermission now). Geez Louise....the one younger commentator for the Kings would be great to listen to if you were a Kings fan, but talk about someone who thinks their team can do no wrong! He questioned the penalties then after reading the rulebook verbatim, said the Refs "might have gotten the call right". Decided everytime the Flyers forced a penalty, that the player that took it dove, and after Jody Shelley whooped one guys ass, he said "Westgarth controlled that fight from the start. Yea, Shelley was getting some punches in, but I don't think he landed but one".. Geez Dude, are you even watching the same game I am?? Yea, be true to your team, but you also need to have perspective. Now that my rant and intermission are over, who are your pick?

Worst - Buffalo....Every time they score a goal, I think the guy calling it is going to pass out after hollering "Goal"

Best = As much as I hate to admit it, It' the two guys that call the Rangers games. They always have a respect for the other team, you never hear them complain about calls going against the Rangers, and never have anything negative to say (that I hear anyway)

I'm curious to hear what you guys think.

You're talking about Jim Fox, color analyst for the Kings broadcasts. There are times when his Kings colored glasses show a bit more than usual, but generally Miller and Fox are some of the most unbiased announcers in the game. Miller is held with the same regard that Vin Scully (Dodgers) and Chick Hearn (Lakers) are in SoCal sports. As for Fox, he does a good job but there are times I think he lets his bias out a bit. As for the Shelley/Westgarth tilt I'd say it was about even with Shelley controlling and dominating the start but with Westgarth coming back at the end with those jabs.

And that boarding on the Pronger/Stoll hit should have been called. Maybe it's karma for Pronger being, well, Pronger.

Some of the worst:

Ducks broadcasters (Ahlers/Hayward): If you think Fox is biased, you'd think Hayward was suiting up for the Ducks. Do yourself a favor and catch a Ducks game on the FS Prime Ticket feed.

Avs: They do a good job and are complementary about each team but I hate the way you can barely hear when the opposing team scores (all you get is a barely audible "goal") and the absolute gushing of affection and excitement when the Avs score.

Canadian broadcasters: just for the simple fact that a lot of their broadcasts tend to be pro-Canadian. I have no qualms and respect their words, but if a Canadian team is playing a US team, well, you know which way they're rooting. Seems to be more evident with Canucks broadcasters.

Some of my favs include the Sharks guys and the Stars guys. I love hearing those two broadcast teams.

I expect my announcing team to be homers and Jack Edwards and Andy Brinkly don't disappoint. Edwards took a long time for me to get used to, Brinkly is knowledgeable, but Fred Qusick and Darek Sanderson are a hard act to follow. Unfortunately, I don't listen to many games not involving the Bruins these days.

Doc.

I expect my announcing team to be homers and Jack Edwards and Andy Brinkly don't disappoint. Edwards took a long time for me to get used to, Brinkly is knowledgeable, but Fred Qusick and Darek Sanderson are a hard act to follow. Unfortunately, I don't listen to many games not involving the Bruins these days.

Doc.

Funny coincidence, this week on a hockey show up here (with Doug MacLean as one of the analysts so take it with a grain of salt) they had one of the Bruins guys on. I think it was Jack Edwards. They were discussing the Ferrance - Pierrelli (sp) thing and MacLean called him the biggest homer in the game. Half joking I think.

I do like the Panthers guy (I think it's Panthers) that puts movie quotes with goals...he's got a youtube clip somewhere...

Ah, it is Panthers, Randy Moller radio guy...HERE IT IS

It looks like the Flyers are kicking the tires on Kris Versteeg. Burke's asking price may be a little high as it's said to be rumored he would want James van Riemsdyk in return. I'd prefer it be picks and then the third line would be Mike Richards/ JvR/ Versteeg.

I agree with you Doc. I'd want my announcers as homers also. I guess that since I watch about 60 Flyers games a year and only get the Jackson/Jones combo for about 50% of the games, you experience a lot more with the other teams announcers. Plus, being as into the games as much as I am, you never want to hear someone question your team or its players.

It looks like the Flyers are kicking the tires on Kris Versteeg. Burke's asking price may be a little high as it's said to be rumored he would want James van Riemsdyk in return. I'd prefer it be picks and then the third line would be Mike Richards/ JvR/ Versteeg.

I agree with you Doc. I'd want my announcers as homers also. I guess that since I watch about 60 Flyers games a year and only get the Jackson/Jones combo for about 50% of the games, you experience a lot more with the other teams announcers. Plus, being as into the games as much as I am, you never want to hear someone question your team or its players.

Where'd you hear that rumour? I need to follow that person. And it's picks like you wanted!

Where'd you hear that rumour? I need to follow that person. And it's picks like you wanted!

:laugh: ...yea, it wasn't long after that they made the trade. It's why I pay a little extra each year for ESPN Insider!

My son and I are getting ready for our trip to Raleigh to wacth the Flyers play the Hurricanes. Should be a good one as they are retiring Brind'Amours jersey tonight also.

My son and I are getting ready for our trip to Raleigh to wacth the Flyers play the Hurricanes. Should be a good one as they are retiring Brind'Amours jersey tonight also.

How fitting. That sounds like a good time. A buddy lives in Raleigh and has seasons tickets and says the tailgating is great. For all the flack southern(ish) teams get for lack of fan interest one thing the media here has always reported is that 'Canes fans may not be the biggest group but they may be some of the loudest.

Kaberle is finally traded, in a trade that seemed to take 3 years.
Kabber leafs the leafs for boston for Joe colburne, and a first round pick and a condition second round.
Sucks to see a great defencemen go, but its better to get something for him now, then nothing in July.

How fitting. That sounds like a good time. A buddy lives in Raleigh and has seasons tickets and says the tailgating is great. For all the flack southern(ish) teams get for lack of fan interest one thing the media here has always reported is that 'Canes fans may not be the biggest group but they may be some of the loudest.

The RBC Center is definitely loud. It took a few years for hockey to really catch on down here. I think at first it was probably transplanted Northerners that filled the seats. As far as the tailgaiting goes, your buddy was right. When Steven and I pulled into th parking lot, I saw more tailgating than I do at a Carolina Panthers game and there's A LOT of tailgating there. Game was good, Flyers lost 3-2 but I got within 10 feet of the Stanley Cup as they had it there for the ceremony. Also when my son and I went down to the glass during the pregame warmup, Chris Pronger pointed at me as he skated by once (I wear a Pronger Winter Classic jersey to the Flyers games I go to) so that coupled with seeing the Cup up close made up for the loss.

I tell ya, the way the Islanders just b**** slapped the Kings, you'd think they were one of the top teams in the east.

The RBC Center is definitely loud. It took a few years for hockey to really catch on down here. I think at first it was probably transplanted Northerners that filled the seats. As far as the tailgaiting goes, your buddy was right. When Steven and I pulled into th parking lot, I saw more tailgating than I do at a Carolina Panthers game and there's A LOT of tailgating there. Game was good, Flyers lost 3-2 but I got within 10 feet of the Stanley Cup as they had it there for the ceremony. Also when my son and I went down to the glass during the pregame warmup, Chris Pronger pointed at me as he skated by once (I wear a Pronger Winter Classic jersey to the Flyers games I go to) so that coupled with seeing the Cup up close made up for the loss.

It was a good game. I thought it was cool that both teams wore Brind'amour's jersey during warm-ups and even cooler that Canes won. :thumbs:

I tell ya, the way the Islanders just b**** slapped the Kings, you'd think they were one of the top teams in the east.

I love that Moulson got 2 goals against his brother in law Quick. I heard a story that they and Tavares were playing Monopoly the night before together and talking smack. I couldn't tell if it was the truth or a joke.