• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Hockey

Well, they wouldn't be the Kings if they didn't flop at some point in the season. :(

Get her straight, boys! The conference is way too competitive to go through a prolonged slump!

Well let's hope Doughty picks it up for the Olympics. As long as he doesn't get beat up or too tired I think the experience with some of those players on Team Canada will help his game.

It's not looking good for the Winter Classic.
mad.gif
The only glimmer of hope is that the weather report has changed 3 times in two days. Sat.'s rain date looks equally bad. Which means it will be canceled.

In other distressing news, Don Cherry had to cancel his appearance at NESN's Don Cherry night. Something about a commitment to Hockey Night in Canada. You'd think those Canucks could do without him, but like he said, without him there is no HNC. We adore that fugger around here. I hope they reschedule.

Doc.

That is a shame. Doc you may already be aware but for those of you that aren't it's worth a look at a few "Coach's Corner" segaments from a Canadian Institution (Don Cherry and HNIC). HERE. Cherry was actually voted one of the Top 10 "Greatest Canadians" by CBC viewers in 2004.

Looks like the Winter Classic may happen. The rain should hold off. Lucic ain't playing.
sad.gif
I guess it's better to be safe than sorry. You folks should be watching this. To hell with them sissy college football players. Go B's.

Doc.

Doc's Trois Etoiles: #3 Mark Recchi
#2 Marco Sturm
And the NO. 1 Star, Olympian and UVM Alum. Tim Thomas.

Doc.

Looked like Thomas channeled some inner Patrick Roy with that shove on Hartnell allowing the goal. Probably the best quality game outside that's happened so far.

Truthfully I have not checked the rosters yet but I was just being subjective. I have seen what Smyth has done so far and want him to be rewarded :)

I'd guess he was on the short list and if he hadn't been injured might have gotten on had he kept his scoring pace up. Hockey Canada is famous (or infamous depending on the player) of being fiercely loyal to those who have answered the call to lesser tournaments, mainly the World Championships. So Smyth and Doan look to be strong candidates if there are any injuries before the final roster deadline.

BRUINS WIN

This was the first Hockey game I've watched in years and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I think if this was done more, I'd watch it more. Great game and the whole idea surrounding it was pretty damn cool, especially being at Fenway.

Odd, no mention of the USA's win in the World Junior Hockey Championship.
wink.gif
Well, like Mike Milbury said on NESN last night," Americans could care less and the Canadians care too much. It's a lot of pressure to put on kids." Congrats to both teams but like one young Canadian player said, "We got beat by a better team."

Doc.

The WJHC game was a great game. There is a lot of talent on both the USA and Canada team. I felt bad for the USA starting goalie (Lee?) who got pulled after the 3rd goal.

But Sabres game tonight going for a 5 game winning streak... 2 minutes into the game and we are already up by 2 :thumbs: ha sorry right when I posted that we scored again... Sorry Tampa fans!

I didn't hear Milbury's take on it but he's right. I was surprised that the US won but it was the best team in the 20 years I've been watching from the US. They were actually a team this year, not a bunch of prep school kids hand picked for the team and it showed.

I did hear about the win but, you know, this being SoCal and everything, we're lucky if hockey even gets mentioned as a professional sport by the media. Of course I'm proud of the US team, however the Canadian goalie Jones is a Kings prospect, so it's a tad bittersweet.

As for the NHL, the Kings take on the Wings tonight. Should be a good game.

BTW, how the heck is Milbury employed as a hockey analyst? His tenure as a GM is infamous to say the least.

Hey, watch your mouth!
tongue.gif
We kind of like Milbury around here. He was a damn good defenseman for the Bruins , back in the day. He came to play, every night. Long before your time, evidently and coached the B's to the Stanley cup finals. My guess is, Mike is Grapes' protégé. I noticed he gets time on HNIC. Sort of the American version, if you will. He's a home grown boy; when American NHLers were few and far in between. I wil admit, he did suck as a GM.

Doc.

I didn't hear Milbury's take on it but he's right. I was surprised that the US won but it was the best team in the 20 years I've been watching from the US. They were actually a team this year, not a bunch of prep school kids hand picked for the team and it showed.

They took a page out of the Canadians' play book and picked their team in a similar fashion. It seemed to work, eh?

Doc.