• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Hockey

5-1 to Carolina...that is ugly. It'd be a shame if they collapse on themselves, they looked conference finals bound for sure, if not further this year. Well, if it's any consolation they likely have a nice top 5 pick coming their way this year.

Kovalchuk rummors are flying around here. Three way deal involving the Oilers. Might get done today. Stay tuned.

Doc.

This is what isn't going to happen. The B's aren't going to fire Claude Julien. The Bruins aren't going to trade a 1st round draft pick or Tuukka Rask to rent Kovalchuck. I suspect a minor deal involving 2nd round picks may happen before the trading dead line. Savard will be back in the line up on Fri. and Strum, Bitz and Begin are rumored to be soon to follow. Julien has told the press he is no longer going to talk about individual players. He's not happy about his comments being distorted. I'm reminded the the Pens were in a similar position last season. We all know what happened to them.

Doc

Chiarelli is a smart guy I bet you're right and doubt he'd panic. I still think that the Bruins are the up there with the Pens, Caps and Devils as the top teams in the East (Buffalo just seems like they're headed for a 4-0 or 4 - 1 first round loss).

Many of us here in the Kings camp have been holding our breath for Kovalchuk to come to L.A. It really depends on how much Atlanta demands for him. Technically speaking, they are bargaining from a weak position, but I'm sure they'll still get a couple roster players, picks, prospect, etc. Personally, I've said that Frolov, Johnson, and a prospect should get it done. I don't like giving away Johnson, but you have to give to get, plus that may open up a spot for Hickey to graduate from Manchester to. Frolov, as much as I like him, has had an off year and is headed towards UFA status. I'd like to keep him, but he could be picked up as a rental for another team. As far as prspects are concerned, I'd be loathe to give away Bernier, Schenn, Hickey, or Loktionov. Maybe send them a pick instead?

Many of us here in the Kings camp have been holding our breath for Kovalchuk to come to L.A. It really depends on how much Atlanta demands for him. Technically speaking, they are bargaining from a weak position, but I'm sure they'll still get a couple roster players, picks, prospect, etc. Personally, I've said that Frolov, Johnson, and a prospect should get it done. I don't like giving away Johnson, but you have to give to get, plus that may open up a spot for Hickey to graduate from Manchester to. Frolov, as much as I like him, has had an off year and is headed towards UFA status. I'd like to keep him, but he could be picked up as a rental for another team. As far as prspects are concerned, I'd be loathe to give away Bernier, Schenn, Hickey, or Loktionov. Maybe send them a pick instead?

Would you give all that up for a rental? Kovalchuk is a free agent at the end of the season and is looking for 10 million a year for 10 years, or he's going back to Russia.

Doc.

Yeah, unless LA can get Kov locked up in a sign and trade deal it would be a loss of young talent for nothing. I hate to break it to you guys but there is no way the Kings are winning the cup this year with or without Kov :p but maybe in 2 or 3 years if they stay the course they can compete like the Blackhawks. Lombardi was on the Fan 590/Sportsnet Ontario yesterday and said that very thing. That he has worked really hard to build the team where it is following a course he laid out of trading off players for picks and prospects and building within. The feeling I got from him was that there's no way he rents Kov but he left the door open for a sign and trade. That's the nice thing about LA. If you can build a winner and fill the stands you'll have the money to pay up to the cap but if you have a loser look out.

I don't expect the Kings to contend for the cup for another couple seasons. This season the goal is just making the playoffs. I should've said that I wouldn't want Kovi if it's just as a rental. And if that's the case, then Atlanta will garner even less by trading him. However, for a long term deal, I think that's a fair offer.

10M for 10 years? No, I wouldn't sign him at that price tag. But for say 7M for 5 years, then I'd seriously consider it.

I don't expect the Kings to contend for the cup for another couple seasons. This season the goal is just making the playoffs. I should've said that I wouldn't want Kovi if it's just as a rental. And if that's the case, then Atlanta will garner even less by trading him. However, for a long term deal, I think that's a fair offer.

10M for 10 years? No, I wouldn't sign him at that price tag. But for say 7M for 5 years, then I'd seriously consider it.

I heard today he turned down 110 million. Don't know from whom. Speculation is he has a Russian deal in his back pocket. Russians get home sick easy. I wouldn't be surprised if he packed it in and went home.

Doc.

I heard today he turned down 110 million. Don't know from whom. Speculation is he has a Russian deal in his back pocket. Russians get home sick easy. I wouldn't be surprised if he packed it in and went home.

Doc.

Somebody will get fleeced in order to get Kovy as a rental. I agree with you Doc, I think he goes back to Russia. I think we're going to see quite a few more do that to with the high salaries and little taxes there.

Well there won't be any news of Kovi up here for a while with the Leafs trades. I think the team did all right. This year's a write off but hopefully next year might hold some promise. Aside from Hagman all the players the Leafs traded were free agents and only White was expected to be resigned.

As for those Bruins my guess is that Julien isn't back after the break. Now who said he has a shelf life....

As for the Bruins Doc, well, Julien's shtick seems to get thin with players and now that he's in his 3rd year with the Bruins it's all down hill from here. However, as long as they beat the Habs they'll have my support, especially when they let Semin and Backstrom get 5 assists between them for my hockey pool.

Yea, I was disappointed in the Phaneuf trade. I was really hoping the Flyers were gonna make a run at him.

Jezus, all this talk about the Kings! Who cares, Redwings finally won! :thumbs:

Now we'll see how they do for the next few games. They've been having a problem maintaining their lead...

Jezus, all this talk about the Kings! Who cares, Redwings finally won! :thumbs:

Now we'll see how they do for the next few games. They've been having a problem maintaining their lead...

I care about the Kings oh and by the way I gotta rag on the Wings when your wife is around ;)

Well there won't be any news of Kovi up here for a while with the Leafs trades. I think the team did all right. This year's a write off but hopefully next year might hold some promise. Aside from Hagman all the players the Leafs traded were free agents and only White was expected to be resigned.

As for those Bruins my guess is that Julien isn't back after the break. Now who said he has a shelf life....

As for the Bruins Doc, well, Julien's shtick seems to get thin with players and now that he's in his 3rd year with the Bruins it's all down hill from here. However, as long as they beat the Habs they'll have my support, especially when they let Semin and Backstrom get 5 assists between them for my hockey pool.

Economically, that would make little sense. Julien's contract extension doesn't even start until next year. The Bruin's need a goal scorer, not a new coach. I think they're in the top three in GA and last in GF. The Leafs' trade changes things for the B's. They're a better team now. The untouchable 1st round pick is no longer untouchable. What was looking like a top three pick will be lucky to be a top five now. There's talk about Ray Whitney, Matt Cullen and Aaron Ward.

Doc.

Good to see Giguere traded. I've always kinda liked him despite him being a Duck (ick!). Now I can actually kinda root for him. Hopefully he does well in TO, being reunited with Allaire. Glad to see Phaneuf traded away. I can't stand that guy. Looks like a caveman too.

Economically, that would make little sense. Julien's contract extension doesn't even start until next year. The Bruin's need a goal scorer, not a new coach.
Doc.

Perhaps but losing $1 000 000 in revenue per game during the playoffs if you miss due to your coach also makes little sense. One 7 game round and the Bruins would almost make up the cost of Julien's contract.

I'll certainly enjoy the draft more if the Bruin's are picking in the 8th or 9th spot vs 1 or 2.

My buddies and I have always joked that Phaneuf looks like Frankenstein a little.

My buddies and I have always joked that Phaneuf looks like Frankenstein a little.

True, but I'd much rather have him on my Blue line than facing him. Maybe he'll regain some of the magic he had in '05 now that his scenery has changed.