• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Hope your weekend was better than mine

Did anyone see it? Or did the child admit to it?

Shoot, I would've filed on the kid for misdemeanor vandalism and had you place him under private citizen's arrest if the parents didn't want to pay for the window.

Then I would've snuck into their house at night and took their underwears and freeze them!!! :sign: :sign:

Seriously though, that really sucks. I see this everyday, parenting is not what it used to be, and the children have 0 remorse because Mommy and Daddy don't...

Did anyone see it? Or did the child admit to it?

Shoot, I would've filed on the kid for misdemeanor vandalism and had you place him under private citizen's arrest if the parents didn't want to pay for the window.

Then I would've snuck into their house at night and took their underwears and freeze them!!! :sign: :sign:

Seriously though, that really sucks. I see this everyday, parenting is not what it used to be, and the children have 0 remorse because Mommy and Daddy don't...

The kid was honest and told his parents. The Mom was the bad apple. What a role model.

you should put the screws to them, they should replace it exactly as it was, no questions asked. On the principle of it, i wouldn't let them off the hook, i'd take it to civil claims if necessary, or maybe through their insurance?

In addition to being entitled to replacement of the glass, with tint and defrost, at the PLACE OF YOUR CHOOSING, you are also entitled to LOSS OF USE of the vehicle from date o the accident to the date that it is returned to you in the same or better condition. Loss of use entitles you to the "reasonable rental value of YOUR VEHICLE, not just a $20 per day rental car. So if you have a truck, you get a truck, you have a minivan you get a minivan.

At least that is how it is here in California.

If you need some guidance or anykind of assistance please send me a PM.

- Jason

They're mostly harmless folks but a bit lax in their parenting in my opinion. When I was a boy about this age, I threw a rock and broke a car window. Damned sure my parents made me pay for it and they didn't dictate the limits of the restitution either. Talked with my insurance company and it looks like we'll make a claim on comp and they'll pay my deductible, $100. That $100 is cheap for the trouble we've had to go through.

Wilkey

Wilkey,
Replace it with factory issued glass and give them the receipt, period. One should expect and receive respect for another's property..
This shouldn't cost you one cent, nor should you file a claim.

Where's the lesson in this?

How times have changed. Had this happen to me when I was that age I'd be doing my paper route for nothing until it was paid off..

x3...

I actually agree with this. I wouldn't charge this against my comprehensive policy. I'd let Johnny pay this one off. I (also) had a paper route to keep me busy (and rolling in dough... yeah, right) when I was his age. Fortunately I was never dumb enough to throw rocks at cars (only into the neighbors swimming pool :laugh: ).

Speaking of which... some homeless guy in Santa Monica threw a rock at my car while I was driving it on Wilshire Blvd. He dented the driver's door pretty bad. I still haven't gotten it fixed... geez, I better get on it. :(

They're mostly harmless folks but a bit lax in their parenting in my opinion. When I was a boy about this age, I threw a rock and broke a car window. Damned sure my parents made me pay for it and they didn't dictate the limits of the restitution either. Talked with my insurance company and it looks like we'll make a claim on comp and they'll pay my deductible, $100. That $100 is cheap for the trouble we've had to go through.

Wilkey

Wilkey,
Replace it with factory issued glass and give them the receipt, period. One should expect and receive respect for another's property..
This shouldn't cost you one cent, nor should you file a claim.

Where's the lesson in this?

How times have changed. Had this happen to me when I was that age I'd be doing my paper route for nothing until it was paid off..

x3...

I actually agree with this. I wouldn't charge this against my comprehensive policy. I'd let Johnny pay this one off. I (also) had a paper route to keep me busy (and rolling in dough... yeah, right) when I was his age. Fortunately I was never dumb enough to throw rocks at cars (only into the neighbors swimming pool :laugh: ).

Speaking of which... some homeless guy in Santa Monica threw a rock at my car while I was driving it on Wilshire Blvd. He dented the driver's door pretty bad. I still haven't gotten it fixed... geez, I better get on it. :(

No you do not have to put this on your auto policy. If the neighbors have a home owners policy or an auto policy of their own either may pay for the damage. Don't pay for it yourself.

- Jason

Delaware rednecks? Sounds like an interesting sub-species of flatlander. You need to interact with them in a way they understand. Ya got fight fire with fire. 5lbs. of sugar in the gas tank ought to teach 'em you're not a man to be trifled with.

Doc.

It's a shame, but you do realize that this is all your fault. If you hadn't left your car out, then none of this would have happened. He's just 10-years-old and shouldn't be held accountable for your lack of foresight.

That was an unrealistic and unfair statement. Unfortunately it seems that this is how a lot of people think these days. Without getting too far up on my soap box, this type of attitude is something I see all the time. Rather than taking responsibility for their actions, many people try to blame others and wait for the system to clean up their messes.

Unless you, or more appropriately his parents, stick to your guns and hold them accountable, the only thing that boy is going to ultimately learn is that he can get away with it. The boy did the right thing and told his parents. It's sad, but he is showing more maturity than his parents.

Whew! Time for a cigar.

In addition to being entitled to replacement of the glass, with tint and defrost, at the PLACE OF YOUR CHOOSING, you are also entitled to LOSS OF USE of the vehicle from date o the accident to the date that it is returned to you in the same or better condition. Loss of use entitles you to the "reasonable rental value of YOUR VEHICLE, not just a $20 per day rental car. So if you have a truck, you get a truck, you have a minivan you get a minivan.

We have a company that does glass work only, and they come out to your home/work/etc., and will replace any glass on any car there. It shouldn't take two days to fix his back window. Just a few hours.

No you do not have to put this on your auto policy. If the neighbors have a home owners policy or an auto policy of their own either may pay for the damage. Don't pay for it yourself.

I've never heard of an auto policy that will pay to fix a windshield your kid broke with a rock. Just the homeowners.

Again, I'd advise going with the comp claim. Let your insurance company handle it. It's cheaper than getting a lawyer to fight them in small claims court, when you didn't witness the kid breaking the window... ;)

Hold on a second, all of you!

None of you are seeing this 'big picture'..

The more of this bullsh*t our boy Wilkey immerses himself into, the less time we're gonna be seeing him on CP!

Shall we drop this silly conjecture? :sign:

~R

Our redneck neighbor's 10-year old boy was throwing rocks around the cul de sac that our driveway is connected to and the inevitable happened.
<snipped>

Sorry to hear about your troubles Bro, so I guess you aren't spending all of your free time working on the thesis? :whistling:

J/K, kids can be both a joy and a pain. I used to love everyone's kids, until I had my own. Now that mine are grown, I can go back to loving even the rock throwers again.

Wasn't Father Flanigan credited with the phrase: There is no such thing as a bad boy...?

Cheers,
antaean

Before you except that 100 bucks make sure your insurance company isn't going to subrogate your claim. The exceptance could be seen as a settlement which could extinguish their subro right. They could deny coverage on those grounds.

I doubt they would subro a window but you should check just to make sure.

When I was a kid I was so poor I used rocks to play with, they were my little cars, soldiers etc, I would never throw my toys away :D

Sucks Wilkey! However, sometime principle can cost you. Going to court will cost you your time and your sanity, You have to weigh it up.

Brian

Wilkey
Nope, they or their insurance will pay for all of it. You will probably have to pay your deductible, then your insurance company will subrogate against your neighbor to get both their and your money back. If they know who did it, you can bet they will get their pound of flesh.

Sheesh, some people. My parents would've made me clean up the mess and then soaked my hands in lemon juice. Sorry to hear about this, it doesn't sound like they are very neighborly at all.

What is soaking your hands in lemon juice going to do? Never heard of this.

Sheesh, some people. My parents would've made me clean up the mess and then soaked my hands in lemon juice. Sorry to hear about this, it doesn't sound like they are very neighborly at all.

What is soaking your hands in lemon juice going to do? Never heard of this.

LOL, after cleaning up glass, I'm guessing he would have a few cuts. Soaking those cuts in Lemon Juice, I bet wouldn't be fun.

Wlkey - make the Mom pay EVERY friggin dime. AND I agree with Michael - duct tape and plastic bags, but not for the broken window, but for the Mom & Dad for behaving in such a deplorable manner. Maybe CPS should be called if she can't pony up!

Sorry to hear Wilkey. I feel bad for the kid having a dipshit for a mom......hopefully for him she didn't pass on the dirtbag gene :thumbs:

Wow. Out of respect for keeping this board clean, i cannot write my thoughts. If they were good about it, I would not impose to much on them if they made the Van whole. However, the way they went about it, I would take them to small claims court, or find some way to make this issue become a un-needed burden or head-ache to them.
But getting to the source of the problem, those parents suck at their job. I see to many parents letting their kids run loose and rather then punish their kids or make them appologize, they defend their kids actions or ignore them. It makes me dream of the day when Chuck Norris comes and takes care of buisness.

And then, mom says that she googled windshields (even though this was factory tinted glass with defrost elements) and said that since they could find glass as cheap as $400 bucks, that's all they were going to pay.

Since you went with your insurance, and the shitty attitude your neighbors have, I would have taken the $400.00 .
Just my 2 cents.

Gerard.