• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

How Have Your CC Buying Habits Changed Since the Price Increase?

How Have Your CC Buying Habits Changed Since the Price Increase?

• Total voters
I've mostly stopped buying cigars just in general since the pandemic hit; just not as fun to smoke at home by myself and then I found other things to keep me occupied. But since that meant I had more discretionary funds, I figured I'd splurge more on CC's when I felt the urge. Didn't realize how ridiculous it'd gotten; I spent last night searching and crying at what CCs go for now...

Incredible on the amount of members that have stated they have stopped buying altogether (27). Just goes to show how heavily Habanos S.A. is relying on the Chinese economy to support their current pricing strategy. Makes me wonder if I'm doing the right thing. I'm continuing to buy like nothing has changed (as an investor).

Incredible on the amount of members that have stated they have stopped buying altogether (27). Just goes to show how heavily Habanos S.A. is relying on the Chinese economy to support their current pricing strategy. Makes me wonder if I'm doing the right thing. I'm continuing to buy like nothing has changed (as an investor).

They are soaking up vintage pipe tobacco too.
It's amazing how successful they have become, but dammit it is hard to keep up with the "what's Mandarin for Jones?"

You know who you need to sell your estate too. Just don’t look to do it here. Even if @Phoenixstarglass wants to buy your shit.

Hey everyone, I just got back from Varadero, and I posted the below on another cigar forum, thought I'd share my feedback with all of you too:

Hey everyone, I just got back from Varadero and wanted to provide some observations. I stayed at Grand Memories Resort.

I just purchased a dedicated 50 count humidor just for Cubans (I have another 75 count for non-cubans). I was looking to fill that 50 count with cubans on this trip. This was my 3rd trip to cuba in the last 12 years, so I'm somewhat familiar with where to go, etc.

Couple of things: pricing as you know is definitely higher. However, I live in Toronto, Canada, so pricing is still about 30% less than what I'd find in a local shop in Toronto. I was looking for regular production cigars (Montecristo No 2, Hoyo de Monterrey, Partagas Serie D or E, etc). I went to both LCDH's (plaza des americas and calle 63).

Both LCDH's has terrible inventory, mostly Cohiba's and Trinidad's, which are way above my budget. No Montecristo No 2's anywhere. I did buy some Hoyo de monterrey rio secos at the LCDH. price was about $23USD per stick. (in toronto about $55 CAD per stick).

However, I did half of my shopping at the gift shop at the hotel. They had a dedicated walk-in humidor. I sampled their cigars throughout the week, and they were legit. Pricing was basically on par with LCDH and the gov pricelist. And, their selection was better than both LCDH's.

I bought:

12 Partagas Serie E no 2 (hotel)

12 h upmann magnum 46 (hotel)

10 hoyo de monterrey rio secos (LCDH)

9 Montecristo Edmondo's (LCDH)

3 hoyo de monterrey especial (hotel)

5 hoyo de monterrey half corona (small cigar, at LCDH)

on average, each stick was about $21-$24 USD. Still a pretty good savings vs the pricing in toronto.

Also, the selection at the airport was awful. Mostly Guantanamero's and cohibas/Trinidads. Nothing else.

I'm noticing though, that at each of the 3 hotels I've stayed at for my past 3 trips, they have a good selection, and a good walk in humidor. It's almost not worth going to the LCDH's. (Plus, I find the ladies at both locations are not very friendly or helpful)

Just wanted to share my observations. At the rate I smoke, these will last me 3-4 years (I only smoke about 1 per week during summer, and I use my cubans as a special treat, so may have 1 cuban every few weeks)

hope the above is helpful to anyone planning a trip to cuba.

If people are willing to pay $300 or more for a cigar that has more demand and supply, then good for everyone involved in the transaction. The price hike will certainly change the supply-demand ratio; who knows where it will balance. Personally, I'd never pay that price. But then again, I wasn't willing to pay the old price. Rolex still sells $50K watches that keep pretty good time, and people are on waiting lists for years to get one. Some people seek things that are expensive for no other reason than they are expensive.

Last edited:
Another Cancun overnight last week, another fiver of sticks purchased. ERdM Choix Supreme, SCdlH La Punta, Punch Punch 48, RA Superiores, and a LGC Glorias. I don't remember specific prices except for $52 for the LGC, but for the overall fiver it was $162.

I think this will be my purchasing pattern going forward--singles where I can pick them up directly. I'll miss aging VRs, but I just can't justify the expense. Maybe someday.

On a tangent from prices, Maria continues to recognize me every visit and now that I'm Duolingo-ing Spanish, she's becoming even more friendly. I used to not love LCDH Cancun, but the last few times it's been a pleasure.

Another Cancun overnight last week, another fiver of sticks purchased. ERdM Choix Supreme, SCdlH La Punta, Punch Punch 48, RA Superiores, and a LGC Glorias. I don't remember specific prices except for $52 for the LGC, but for the overall fiver it was $162.

I think this will be my purchasing pattern going forward--singles where I can pick them up directly. I'll miss aging VRs, but I just can't justify the expense. Maybe someday.

On a tangent from prices, Maria continues to recognize me every visit and now that I'm Duolingo-ing Spanish, she's becoming even more friendly. I used to not love LCDH Cancun, but the last few times it's been a pleasure.
If you are looking for someone to add on Duolingo, I'm Sgt. Pegleg. :p

I don't see how Cuba survives the increased salinity in their freshwater tables (what nobody seems to be talking about). They have no mainland body to draw from. They're literally surrounded by seawater... water that's raising every year and being brought ashore more by stronger and stronger storms.

Anyone aware of everything the FL Keys and the southern peninsula are doing to mitigate the same fate knows this. But they have the resources to literally shore themselves off from the worst of it. They also can tap into federal funding.

I don't know how a broke island nation does the same thing around the entire country. I just wonder if they think pumping prices so high will somehow help fund any possible solution(s).

*Sigh...

I don't see how Cuba survives the increased salinity in their freshwater tables (what nobody seems to be talking about). They have no mainland body to draw from. They're literally surrounded by seawater... water that's raising every year and being brought ashore more by stronger and stronger storms.

Anyone aware of everything the FL Keys and the southern peninsula are doing to mitigate the same fate knows this. But they have the resources to literally shore themselves off from the worst of it. They also can tap into federal funding.

I don't know how a broke island nation does the same thing around the entire country. I just wonder if they think pumping prices so high will somehow help fund any possible solution(s).

*Sigh...
On the contrary, maybe that is the difference in Cuban tobacco and they don't need to do anything about it... ;)

Haven't participated in this forum in 10 years, and coming back to it, it's amazing the same guys are Dick'ing the same guys 10 years later. I know i know... reintroduce myself again and stuff, but just thought I'd mention you guys put a real smile on my face. cheers from Bangkok Thailand.

what you mean investor? you buy to save to re sell later on?

what you mean investor? you buy to save to re sell later on?
Yes. It's a strategy that so far appears to be paying off better than any retirement savings I have. Plan is to sell two or three boxes a month for extra income when needed. A little risky though. One burst pipe, or house fire and it's all gone. Insurance is too costly. Back when I estimated my collection to be valued at $100k the best quote I got was $650 a month. Can't imagine what that quote would be now.

Yes. It's a strategy that so far appears to be paying off better than any retirement savings I have. Plan is to sell two or three boxes a month for extra income when needed. A little risky though. One burst pipe, or house fire and it's all gone. Insurance is too costly. Back when I estimated my collection to be valued at $100k the best quote I got was $650 a month. Can't imagine what that quote would be now.
i had something similar in mind fun knowing its workingout for you. im suprised you cant sell (i assume aged cigars) for a higher price for 1-2 boxes in america.

i had something similar in mind fun knowing its workingout for you. im suprised you cant sell (i assume aged cigars) for a higher price for 1-2 boxes in america.
I could sell now, but don't need to. That, and yes, the longer I hold on to a regional release with a low amount of boxes produced, the greater amount I can sell it for years later.

I could sell now, but don't need to. That, and yes, the longer I hold on to a regional release with a low amount of boxes produced, the greater amount I can sell it for years later.
what would you say the markup is for each year on a box? i know its hard say but like a average?