• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

In regard to politics

smellysell

Go Vols!!!
One of the things I love about CP is the lack of political talk, but where is the line these days when pretty much everything is politicized? I feel we're getting concerning close with some recent threads, if not crossing the line. What do you all think the line is?

CigarPass did have a forum specifically dedicated to politics back in 2004-2005. It lasted 3 months before it imploded due to an epic conflict between Purobrat vs. BigMac vs. CoventryCat.

The political forum archives were wiped clean - one of the few times Rob chose to wipe the slate instead of just locking the threads.

Well said, and I agree (though I am an offender, for sure). CigarP Ass is a place we should be able to come to in order to steer clear and avoid all the BS that is going on around us. Social Media is bleeding over into CP, and we should be nipping it in the bud rather than cultivating it.

Hot button topics can wreak the same havoc. So while politics may not be the explicit content, some issues are just a stones throw away from devolving into political rhetoric. I try my best to stay away from that vitriol in other areas and view CP as a sanctuary from all that noise.

Hot button topics can wreak the same havoc. So while politics may not be the explicit content, some issues are just a stones throw away from devolving into political rhetoric. I try my best to stay away from that vitriol in other areas and view CP as a sanctuary from all that noise.
Agreed, that was kind of my point. There's a very thin line between everything and politics anymore, which seems like it's really making holding each other accountable more tricky than it has been.

For example, is gender identity really a political topic, out just a hot button topic that some have chose to politicize? Same could be said of the pandemic?

I don't know the answer, just thinking out loud.

I dont see the problem with politics. As long as you all agree with 100% of the things I say we should be golden!

I agree 100%, things get out of hand quickly. My wife and I have many friends who have extremely strong political views that differ from ours. With some you can have healthy discussions, while others its never going to happen. Especially in an online forum, just too easy for things to get out of control, out of context, and while entertaining for the outsiders just going to end badly!!

Lets go back to bashing new members who forget to post an introduction!

A lot of what I see on CP would not have flown a few years ago. Lots of posts trying to push the envelope and then people cry and resort to name calling when a dissenting opinion pops up. Whole lot of passive aggressive bs vaguebooking in those threads too.

TBH, I don't like the thought of having to tip toe around what someone else deems political, just because they have politized it in their mind. I don't want to live in an echo chamber either, if I did I would have never joined the forum in the first place and I certainly would not be active on it. I like hearing others opinions, even if I disagree. And for the record I disagree... But for my own interest, does someone want to give an example of what is considered politics around here, since it seems it's more than just politics? A persons gender is NOT politics to me, that's just biology or lack there of.

TBH, I don't like the thought of having to tip toe around what someone else deems political, just because they have politized it in their mind. I don't want to live in an echo chamber either, if I did I would have never joined the forum in the first place and I certainly would not be active on it. I like hearing others opinions, even if I disagree. And for the record I disagree... But for my own interest, does someone want to give an example of what is considered politics around here, since it seems it's more than just politics? A persons gender is NOT politics to me, that's just biology or lack there of.
Just that certain topics lately seem to dangerously skirt the no politics rule. I’ve seen a few about the NFL in the past in regards to Brian Flores, the Rooney Rule, etc. I’m not saying that these aren’t the hard conversations and debates we should be having (race & politics), but this is the one place I want to count on coming to and not have to deal with all that BS. I rarely post on Facebook anymore because of all the angry morons there, some of which I considered my friends. It would be a shame to let that happen here.

I have to Agree with Aaron.

To me political is simple as I like republicans or democrats and hate others. Same for religion.

Even discussing the topics that one or another party is endorsing - in a civil thoughtful conversation and not spewing hate - is simply exercising your right to think freely and intelligently. This is what this country was founded upon and what created progress for many generations

If you want to know what impression and fear of expressing your mind is. Just read up on Stalin, Russian gulags and take a flight to Russia it’s history repeating itself again and again