• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Many cigars gone bad....big dilemma

So THIS is where all the 'bead licking' comments came from, I just read this whole thread. Gotta love Pug :rolleyes:

Guys, I have heard of this before...this being a salt like taste from a friend's humidor using beads. In my buddy's case, he had two dishes of beads in the bottom of an end table humidor...the one that looks like a French provincial style with the long legs. Anyway, the dishes holding the beads tipped over when his wife moved his humidor while Spring cleaning. He noticed it a week or so later when he checked the condition of the beads because the humidity level was dropping...he didn't initially see it because the dishes were a few tray levels down. He cleaned them out...threw them away and put in new beads. A little while later he noticed a weird taste in his cigars that he couldn't describe to me. He brought a few from the bottom of his humidor to my house to smoke and get my opinion....they did taste mildly salty. BUT I chalked it up to the quality of the cigars, never thinking at the time it was from the beads (or bead dust). The cigars were Puros Indios, DR R y J, DR Partagas...not great stuff, but all had a somewhat similar taste.

When we tried to determine the cause, we figured it may have been the beads for lack of any other reason. We removed all the cigars to Tupperware (tossed quite a few too)...soaked the cedar with distilled water, than blotted it back up with a soft white cloth...and did this 2 or 3 times to sort of flush the wood out. The trays we soaked in a tub of distilled water. He left everything outside to dry for a few days, then I had him lightly sand the entire inside, vacuuming as he went along...then he re-seasoned it. It worked and he uses it to this day with no residual effects from the whole ordeal....BTW, this happened about 3-4 years ago.

Honestly, we never looked that closely into the beads/salt thing at all, we just figured it was an accident and we fixed it...and judging by the info in this thread, it looks like he got lucky.

Just catching up, no idea how I didn't read this before. So in order to be cool on CP, do I have to go home tonight and lick some beads??

I have a bad taste in my mouth since last night or early morning when I had a cigar with whatever in it from the beads.
I do not think I can smoke again for a while and I will not be touching those messed up cigars anymore.

Have you tried brushing your teeth?

Why are you giving Rod the runaround on his questions? You do seem pretty "Goochie" at times, and you are quite similar to him in your mannerisms. So what gives? Can you answer our moderators questions and put an end to any questions that might be out there? Cool?

If you come across a pile of bodies that have been dead for weeks, they are gone and even our Chief MD can't save them. I think you should focus on having that test done so you can try and come up with a cause, but start the burial.

I think that is the case I am afraid.

And then I think maybe those opus xs in glass from 05 might have escaped.......I am sure is the beads but I will do that,working on it....

HA - What kind of phone are you using?

When you emailed me those photos last night, were you emailing from your phone or from your house?

Who is your ISP?

I have some beads that are yellowing and smell a little sour if I wet them, touch them and sniff my finger. But it does not seem to be affecting the cigars in that humidor. Oddly, rest of the beads from the same batch in other humidors have not yellowed nor do they smell sour. So maybe it's a humidor issue in my case.

I'd replace the sour ones. I had a few beads get moldy on me that got an orange color and sour smell. I think some of them got oversaturated for too long and just got funky.

I have other beads that have a brown stained coloring to them, but I assumed that was from the cigar oils contaminating the beads. They only look brownish when I re-wet them, normal white color when dry.

Just catching up, no idea how I didn't read this before. So in order to be cool on CP, do I have to go home tonight and lick some beads??

I have a bad taste in my mouth since last night or early morning when I had a cigar with whatever in it from the beads.
I do not think I can smoke again for a while and I will not be touching those messed up cigars anymore.

Have you tried brushing your teeth?

Why are you giving Rod the runaround on his questions? You do seem pretty "Goochie" at times, and you are quite similar to him in your mannerisms. So what gives? Can you answer our moderators questions and put an end to any questions that might be out there? Cool?

Hey
Who in the world is Goochie......I am not doing searches for bs
I believe I have answered Rods questions but I will not tell him personal stuff on the web.

Hey Rod

If you really have problem you can mail me you got my private personal mail that can not go to anyone else,the one I used to send you all these photos of my cigars to post and I will be glad to help you to the best of my ability just like you did reconfirming my cigar problem.

HA - What kind of phone are you using?

When you emailed me those photos last night, were you emailing from your phone or from your house?

Who is your ISP?

Rod

I told you I have mobile service and if you want more you have to mail me privately.
Thanks

For the most part, salts don't evaporate with water. And beads aren't white just because of the salts, the beads can be opaque by themselves when dry.

Good thing to know about the salts though, I think I've been spraying my HF beads with too much water, might have washed out some of the salts and making my beads equilibrate at a lower RH.

HA - You know what, I'm not going to keep this going. I'm simply going to put the facts on the table as I know them. Nothing I've asked is personal.
  1. The Gooch has not logged onto CP since March 8. Didn't he used to visit us daily, or should I say, hourly?
  2. HA signed up around early-mid March, however his account didn't get get approved for a week or so later.
  3. Since HA has been a member of CP, the Gooch has not logged in.
  4. The IP's for the Gooch and HA are very similar.
  5. HA stated that he lives on a ranch in OR and somewhere in ID.
  6. His IP points to Salt Lake City, UT. Perhaps some intelligence center?
  7. His writing style is similar to the Gooch.
  8. HA's first name is Italian, while his last name is Greek.
  9. The Gooch had an Italian name.

Rod

OK, that's it. I'm going to go now and find some killer weed to get me through this! :thumbs:

HA, why don't you just PM Rod the information he wants if you don't want it seen public? Stop messing around and making this a fiasco. Let Rod do his vetting process or do you have something hide? I think you have gotten a lot of valuable information so far from this forum.

I hope we didn't get gouched..

HA - You know what, I'm not going to keep this going. I'm simply going to put the facts on the table as I know them. Nothing I've asked is personal.
  1. The Gooch has not logged onto CP since March 8. Didn't he used to visit us daily, or should I say, hourly?
  2. HA signed up around early-mid March, however his account didn't get get approved for a week or so later.
  3. Since HA has been a member of CP, the Gooch has not logged in.
  4. The IP's for the Gooch and HA are very similar.
  5. HA stated that he lives on a ranch in OR and somewhere in ID.
  6. His IP points to Salt Lake City, UT. Perhaps some intelligence center?
  7. His writing style is similar to the Gooch.
  8. HA's first name is Italian, while his last name is Greek.
  9. The Gooch had an Italian name.

Rod

Rod my friend

Please send me an e mail with anything you need to know.
I will answer you privately and help you clear up what you need .
Obviously from what you are saying you think I am someone else that does not belong here.
I will be more than happy to help you.
I can tell you publicly if that fixes it for you,I frequent for a long time two other chat lines and my name Mario is there also on my posts
One is pointed three forum about Gs
My handle there is 512bbi
I also go to Ferrari chat line and over there I am Mario Pano
I hope this is not a fixation about my elementary way to the web being mobile.

If that guy is banned why do you except him to log in?
Why would any character like the one you are describing would kill me and take my identity to look at your site and have an operation that the best case officers in CIA would have a hard time to accomplish to come to a site about cigars?
Rod
If you had smoked my cigars I would be concerned with what you are bringing up.
Are you feeling ok?

All this sounds too far out to me and I have a suspicion my self about you now.
Maybe you do not want anyone like me here and are looking for excuses to create a situation?

Maybe my turn to be a little paranoical because this sure sounds strange and mostly the fact that you do not e mail privately with personal questions

HA, why don't you just PM Rod the information he wants if you don't want it seen public? Stop messing around and making this a fiasco. Let Rod do his vetting process or do you have something hide? I think you have gotten a lot of valuable information so far from this forum.

I hope we didn't get gouched..

Do you see questions from Rod that I did not answer?
All he says is about someone else and what they are like and what his suspicions are about someone else.
What can I tell him about that ?
It got nothing to do with me .it is his business with someone else.....why does he bring it to me?

Rod I am sending you an e mail.

What quantity of beads did you have in each humidor?
What you see split between the boxes(over half pound almost one)

Please be more specific, what quantity of beads did you have in the domed humidor? What quantity of beads did you have in the rectangular humidor?

Your posted photo turns me of,take it of.
Add per box after you read three lines above!

Hey Rod - I got sucked into the Habanos Addict vortex ....but he's all yours now! :whistling:

I came back to answer to you and you are talking to Rod?

You do not understand is not funny what happen to my cigars.

What is complicated to you about what you see on the photos split between the boxes?

What are you smoking?

I do not like to be made fun of for doing an act of desperation to find out what the problem is.

If you think is funny and you are contributing to that kind of demeanor.

If you see someone fall down and get hurt would you go and let them know is funny the way you thought they tried to get up?

Its OK HA, MMM was mean to me when I 1st got here as well and critisized my spelling and laughed me when I fall down. When I get up he kick in the ya ya's and laugh heavily hurting my feeling and physicallys as well. I then not care to writing helpful questions for others as fearing not caring comments from Miles Mucus Monk and him hurting my feeling when falling down.