• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Memorial Day, a long time ago

Thanks for posting. My first read, it brought back many good memories of days of my youth.

I am a member of the United States Milatary
I have no equal
I will never be as good as those who came before me
I will never be as good as those who stand behind me
But while I'm here I'm as good as it gets.

Semper Fi my brothers

Last edited:
Doc, it never gets old reading this post every year. It help as a reminder as to what this day is really all about. Thank you.

I was hoping this would get bumped this year. In a time when people often forget to honor the true reason for Memorial Day, this post always serves as a proper perspective.

For the civilians who don't know :
Leaving a penny at the grave means that you visited. A nickel shows that you and the deceased trained at boot camp together. A dime means you served with him and by leaving a quarter at the grave, you are telling the family that you were with the Mariner when he was killed.

For the civilians who don't know :
Leaving a penny at the grave means that you visited. A nickel shows that you and the deceased trained at boot camp together. A dime means you served with him and by leaving a quarter at the grave, you are telling the family that you were with the Mariner when he was killed.
Thanks Ray! Although I'm a veteran I did not know this. And I feel better knowing about this honorable tradition.

Given the purpose of Memorial Day, it feels weird to wish someone a Happy Memorial Day. What is the right or better way to great someone on Memorial Day?