• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

NHL, 2011-12 season

12-0-1 for the month of Nov. Ooo-Rah!

Doc

NHL Board of Governors just approved the new alignment for the NHL starting next year. There are now four conferences and it looks like this:

Toronto
Montreal
Ottawa
Buffalo
Boston
Florida
Tampa Bay

NY Rangers
NY Islanders
New Jersey
Philadelphia
Pittsburgh
Washington
Carolina

Anaheim
Los Angeles
San Jose
Phoenix
Colorado
Vancouver
Calgary
Edmonton

Dallas
St. Louis
Chicago
Minnesota
Winnipeg
Nashville
Detroit
Columbus

Source: http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=604852

Finally a setup that makes sense to me.

Is anybody watching games tonight? I'm watching the Red Wings spank the Coyotes at the Joe on NHL GameCenter and enjoying several of Drew Estates offerings.

NHL Board of Governors just approved the new alignment for the NHL starting next year. There are now four conferences and it looks like this:

Toronto
Montreal
Ottawa
Buffalo
Boston
Florida
Tampa Bay

NY Rangers
NY Islanders
New Jersey
Philadelphia
Pittsburgh
Washington
Carolina

Anaheim
Los Angeles
San Jose
Phoenix
Colorado
Vancouver
Calgary
Edmonton

Dallas
St. Louis
Chicago
Minnesota
Winnipeg
Nashville
Detroit
Columbus

Source: http://www.nhl.com/i...s.htm?id=604852

The only thing I do not like about it is the first two rounds in the playoffs are set up to be a "bore"! So far as I have read, they will take the top 4 from each conference....those top 4 will play 1vs4, 2vs3 from the same conference... then it sounds like those winners will play each other, then move on to other "conference" winners...but as an Avs fan they are already playing each team in their conference 6 times through out the year, then to potentially watch them play the same teams 14 times more in round 1&2 seems boring. I didn't "like" the old playoff format, but I at least liked watching a division winner potentially play a team they didn't always play through out the season thus having some surprise in the outcome?

It will be interesting how they mix up the playoff decisions. Are they keeping it east vs west until the finals?

Is anybody watching games tonight? I'm watching the Red Wings spank the Coyotes at the Joe on NHL GameCenter and enjoying several of Drew Estates offerings.

I watched my Flyers beat the hated Penguins last night. $170 for NHL Center ice to be able to watch my boys down here in NC is well worth it!

A loss to the Wild last night. Something needs to change with the Kings. On paper they are in the top 10, maybe even 5. On the ice they are an average, run-of-the-mill team. I said on the Kings boards: this is a sleek sporty car with a V8 under the hood that's being driven around like a minivan.

A loss to the Wild last night. Something needs to change with the Kings. On paper they are in the top 10, maybe even 5. On the ice they are an average, run-of-the-mill team. I said on the Kings boards: this is a sleek sporty car with a V8 under the hood that's being driven around like a minivan.

Considering it's pretty much the same team as last year, it's pretty hilarious to see the hockey the Wild are playing right now. Yao has coached most of those young kids down in Houston so they know they system. Toss in two shooters (Heater/Seto), some great goaltending and BAM! here comes a few wins.

LA were ultra-flat until the third. Almond's goal was a stinker that I'm such Quick would like back. They need Richards back, badly.

The only thing I do not like about it is the first two rounds in the playoffs are set up to be a "bore"! So far as I have read, they will take the top 4 from each conference....those top 4 will play 1vs4, 2vs3 from the same conference... then it sounds like those winners will play each other, then move on to other "conference" winners...but as an Avs fan they are already playing each team in their conference 6 times through out the year, then to potentially watch them play the same teams 14 times more in round 1&2 seems boring. I didn't "like" the old playoff format, but I at least liked watching a division winner potentially play a team they didn't always play through out the season thus having some surprise in the outcome?

It will be interesting how they mix up the playoff decisions. Are they keeping it east vs west until the finals?

Big thing I like is every team will play a home/home series each year. Kinda sucked having to wait 2-3 years to see the Flyers, Rangers or Leafs roll through town.

Wonder if the Players Association will approve it? Probably.

Well, looks like the inevitable firing of Terry Murray has happened. He's a good coach, but not the right coach for the Kings. Looks like Stevens will be taking over for now. I don't know why Carlyle hasn't been brought on yet. Seems like he'd be a perfect fit for the Kings. Would also add another layer of intrigue to the Kings/Ducks rivalry.

Just wait. I think going back to the divisions (conferences my ass) will be great for playoffs. Maybe not the first year but you'll find rilvalries created that will last a long time. I miss the old Norris days of the Leafs playing the Blues and the Wings. This will bring that back.

Toronto
Montreal
Ottawa
Buffalo
Boston
Florida
Tampa Bay

NY Rangers
NY Islanders
New Jersey
Philadelphia
Pittsburgh
Washington
Carolina

Anaheim
Los Angeles
San Jose
Phoenix
Colorado
Vancouver
Calgary
Edmonton

Dallas
St. Louis
Chicago
Minnesota
Winnipeg
Nashville
Detroit
Columbus

Source: http://www.nhl.com/i...s.htm?id=604852

No Thomas, No Chara, No problem. It was Tuuka time! 41 saves. 3-0 shut out. Poor Kings, I almost feel sorry for them.

Doc

I watched the 1st period and then fast forwarded through the rest. Not surprised at all it ended in a shut out. Kings have the offensive prowess of a mini-mite team. Without Richards in the lineup this team is just about dead in the water. Frustrating since on paper the team should be a helluva lot better than it's showing on the ice.

There's reports that Darryl Sutter is being talked about to be the new head coach. If that happens that may be the final straw of my sanity. I've been a big supporter of Dean Lombardi but firing Terry Murray (who's time had obviously come) and replacing him with Sutter (who seems to be a rather mediocre coach and suspect GM) is quite a head scratcher.

ETA: The Kings had also won the past 5 games versus Boston (if I remember correctly), so I guess the B's were due. ;)

There's reports that Darryl Sutter is being talked about to be the new head coach. If that happens that may be the final straw of my sanity. I've been a big supporter of Dean Lombardi but firing Terry Murray (who's time had obviously come) and replacing him with Sutter (who seems to be a rather mediocre coach and suspect GM) is quite a head scratcher.

It would be an interesting choice. Sutter has not coached in the league for five years. Lots has changed. In his twelve years coaching he only missed the playoffs twice, but got bounced in the first round six times. UGH! Lombardi is putting all his eggs in that basket? If it doesn't work out, he'll be the next to go, IMO.

Yeah, I don't get why Sutter is so high on his list (other than them working together in SJ). Rumors are if this team doesn't turn it around in a big way Lombardi will be shown the door at season's end. I'm not a fan of that but I understand why.

There are much better options out there. Hell, Randy Carlyle is starting him right in the face. I'm sure there are plenty more names out there that would be more suitable. Would love to have Dave Tippett back, but who knows what's gonna happen to Phoenix.

I watched the 1st period and then fast forwarded through the rest. Not surprised at all it ended in a shut out. Kings have the offensive prowess of a mini-mite team. Without Richards in the lineup this team is just about dead in the water. Frustrating since on paper the team should be a helluva lot better than it's showing on the ice.

ETA: The Kings had also won the past 5 games versus Boston (if I remember correctly), so I guess the B's were due. ;)

I'd bet you'd trade those wins for a Stanley Cup. ;)