• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Not Funny. Not funny at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
To CP Members, Tom, MandyPI, and Rod:

I just came home from a long day at work and then a small herf with actin4life and beyond the band here in Temecula. I just saw this thread, and I am kind of at a loss for words, so I will try my best to choose carefully gentlemen/women. Keep in mind I've been up since 0400 hours, so if some things aren't spoken in clarity, bear with me... Now to the meat:

As the forerunner in the Newbie War of 08', I will take 100% full responsibility in this situation, no doubt about it. Since I am assigning targets, recruiting new members, etc., my intent with the Newbie War is pure. I wanted this to be done in appreciation of the important members of the cigar forum (some call them FOGs). In no way is this war intended to be filled with any type of animosity, tom-foolery, or brash behavior. I will post publicly a few things.

Exhibit A will be the recruiting letter I've composed for the Newbie War of 08':

**NEWBIE EYES ONLY**

john-bull.jpg

Dear Newbie,

Welcome to CigarPass, and quite possibly the greatest moment of your newbie existence here; “The Newbie War of 08”. I was notified of your newbie status and look forward to you joining the Veterans. This will be one of the most challenging and demanding campaigns, but I am confident that you will do a superb job in your support of the command and in achieving our mission.

I will be providing you with much of the information that is needed in making your launch strikes, as well as assisting you with any immediate intelligence that may be needed once you have joined.

As the Newbie’s representative to the community, it is critical that you present a sharp, military image at all times. Remember, “You will never have a second chance to make a first impression.” This command is isolated from other Cigar Pass activities, making uniform articles difficult to obtain. Complete your arsenal now! All future arsenal requirements can be obtained through your local B&M or by internet order. I know you will be prepared.

Recruiting qualified, motivated men and women for the Newbie War is critical to our Newbie nation. Without successful recruiting, shortages of trained, qualified personnel would exist, having a serious impact on our nation’s offensive capabilities. The challenge is real and the Newbie is the only one who can meet it. I look forward to your joining and welcoming you personally to the Newbie War of 08’. If you have further questions and desire to serve by enlisting, please feel free to contact me by PM.

Welcome aboard,
Souldog24ca and 4thTry
Newbie War of 08’ Commanders
READ UP ON THE WAR EFFORT: http://www.cigarpass.com/forums/index.php?...c=43231&hl=

Exhibit B shall be the initial "Launch Assignment Letter" (with certain areas bolded for emphasis):

Thanks for joining up, you ready for your first assignment?

Here is your assignment, should you choose to accept it:

**NEWBIE EYES ONLY**

You will all EACH send your packages on one day, XX/XX. Put some nice sticks in it, 3-5 if you will, and let the games begin:

FOG Screen NAME
Real Name
Address
Address

Check his profile, find out what he likes to smoke, then send some off. No problems sending him ONE "crap" stick (i.e. White Owl, Swisher) or goofy gifts (Depend, Ensure), but do it with respect. It's an appreciation to the FOGs for what they do for us on here. Once you're done, PM me the DC #s and I'll post em'. Are you good for it? Let me know if you want to fire another missile after this initial volley... Also, be advised, you probably won't be bombed in return, it's an APPRECIATION for the FOGs.

-Jonathan

**NEWBIE EYES ONLY**

That being said, as I explained to some members today at the herf, my intention of the Newbie War of 08' is to show appreciation for the FOGs with respect, for how they "police" the boards, provide information to new guys on what it means to be a BOTL, priceless information on smoking cigars and becoming a cigar aficionado. Another aspect of the Newbie War is that it, in a round about way, helps you get to know the FOG you are assigned to, their likes/favorites, where they're from, who they are. Bombing a certain FOG makes a newbie INVEST TIME and RESOURCES into getting to know that FOG better. Once the bomb is sent out, it is SUPPOSED to cultivate comeraderie with the other newbies involved in the war effort, hopefully start new friendships with the FOG they bombed, as well as hopefully cause that particular newbie to become a more active member of this cigar board. I'm not saying I'm Mother Theresa "helping the masses" or anything, but being "part" of something should promote a sense of worth, of honor, of dignity to what we call "Cigar Pass."

As other BOTLs have posted recently, this board is not just a forum to them, it is a living, breathing, moving place where lasting friendships are made. I myself have made a wonderful set of friends on here and hope I continue to make more. It is a "Brotherhood/Sisterhood" of people that have come together to share a common hobby/lifestlye. In no way is this war meant to offend anyone, or burn any bridges.

That being said, I will ultimately take responsibility for MandyPi's actions. I do recall a PM that, amongst the many others I get throughout the day about the Newbie War of 08', that MandyPi sent me asking if he can send something goofy in his bomb. He was asking if it was okay if he sent a "tampon" in the bomb. Without looking at his target, I said yes. I am not excusing my oversight of the fact that he was sending a tampon in a bomb. It was my shortcoming as the "leader," if you will, not to double check the targeted FOG and think about whether or not this "joke" could be construed as offensive. I must say I was under the impression that it would be sent with a cigar band around it, or a note, or some sort of explanation.

This saddens me to see this happen, to see another respected member Tom, whom I have a lot of respect for, as a member on this board. In no way was this meant to happen or get out of hand in this manner.

Earlier today, a post was made by a few members, that stated that the newbies should maintain a respectful stance when replying to the FOGs in the Newbie War of 08' thread. I posted in there to the newbies that this war is purely done in respect and appreciation, and that care should be taken in how a response is made when speaking to FOGs.

I'm not saying that Tom was wrong in posting this publicly, it is often how many of the readers learn and grow, by seeing mistakes publicly made and addressed. This should be a learning experience for all parties, including myself, involved. That said, I don't wish that this incident deters any of the other newbies partaking in the friendship-building activity that the Newbie War of 08' should be. I would like it to continue, but this thread is an example and a warning that all involved should heed.

In closing, Tom, I am publicly apologizing for allowing this to happen. It was perceived in bad taste, with an overlooking by my part. MandyPi, I apologize for not being more vigilant in averting this situation from occurring. To the other FOGs and respected members of this board who have all built CP together, I apologize for bringing this situation and disrespect to the board. It was not intended, and hopefully after this it will be remedied. Lastly, Rod, as the Administrator of this board, I am sorry that this disrespect was brought. I did not intend it to occur, but I take full responsibility for it.

I am a man of honor and integrity, my career is built on such things as a public servant. I swore an oath to protect and serve, therefore I have a high sense of duty. I even swore that I will keep my private life unsullied as an example to all; maintain courageous calm in the face of danger, scorn, or ridicule; develop self-restraint; and be constantly mindful of the welfare of others. Honest in thought and deed in both my personal and official life... it goes on. Not to browbeat, but I am saddened to see this happen.

Tom, Rod, and MandyPi, you will all have incoming PMs regarding this. Hopefully this situation will be remedied and the true focus of the Newbie War will continue to be realized, done in respect and appreciation.

Regards,
Jonathan

I don't think anyone would consider a tampon with a cigar band on it a
"surprise gift." I don't think the issue is with surprise gifts I think the issue is with attempts at tasteless humor or humor at someone else's expense. I doubt that anyone would have an issue with an gift that has been thought out and researched for a fellow BOTL, say sending a sailor a ship in a bottle would not be out of line, but humor is subjective and unless you personally know someone and have developed a relationship/friendship with them and know how they would react you shouldn't do it and even then you should be cautious.

I joined the bombing for fun but the drama and trash talking has imho gotten out of hand on the side of us newbs. This is just one example. Lets learn from it, move on and stop beating this dead horse defending someone who has done something very immature and disrespectful.

Josh

This is seriously in bad taste.

I can imagine this happening in a college environment, but this extends the boundary of what this community is about and why I am on here all the time. If I wanted immature garbage like this, I'd start pulling pranks with my roommates and expecting some BS like this in return. Yeah, I'm 20 years old, but I'm not about to treat those my age like this...let alone those older and\or wiser than me like complete s*it (yeah, my first swear posted I might be pissed).

Think of it in the reverse...what if a FOG sent you one of these? Not only is it demeaning but it's completely ludicrous. I'd be absolutely belittled personally if they didn't know me, regardless of their standing here. Get with reality. If this is acceptable...consider another community if you think pranks like these are acceptable to people completely unknown to you. If you have a close relationship, so be it. But there is clearly a lined crossed here.

If you, sir, like being a perpetual line stepper, there's communities for your type. Consider another one. I don't participate here for this and I call out to all newbies like myself to document such heinous acts and learn from them.

Kudos to B.B.S. I commend you on calling him out.

Derek

How many PMs from you did he ignore before you brought this up in public?

First off... enough people have weighed in here to make what I say relatively insignificant in most respects. That's ok, I'll just be brief and say it anyway.

I think our biggest problem here is, as was said, the fact that we are a diverse community with a large variety of demographics. What you and I may deem the barrier between funny and off-color may be completely different. I can completely see why opening a package with a "surprise" like that would be quite insulting in front of one's wife. On the other hand, in my dorm room in front of my roommate I'd probably get a decent laugh out of it (despite probably being at least slightly offended). I think it's safe to say that a lot of it boils down to circumstance. Given a different target with a different setting, we might not have seen this thread to begin with. Of course, a little research should have yielded that BBS is NOT a college student who was "raised on southpark." Dumb it is.

One thing to consider is that Mandi, in poor taste or not, invested time and resources in sending out a bomb in the first place. It was a bomb that more than likely was intended to be a gift for BBS. He screwed it up, but for God's sake, he was clearly giving none the less. This doesn't redeem anything at all, but I think it should be taken into consideration.

The concept of respect has played in this newb/FOG war again and again, and I think it needs to be clear that regardless of slip ups and mistakes, the new members on this board as a whole have immense respect for the older members of the community. I have already made quite a few friends and been able to bomb and be bombed many times, and thus try all sorts of sticks I never would have been able to otherwise. I love this place and I don't know what I'd do without it. I can relate to some of the guys in this thread who are afraid of screwing up. I feel like on the flip of a coin I could screw up a package or list some bad P/Ts in a pass, and be shunned for good.

One final note is that I feel like this newb/FOG war is making some of the FOGs of the board unhappy. I don't really comprehend how this is so, but I feel like there's unnecessary tension arising from these, believe it or not, good-intentioned bombs. We don't bomb to get bombed back, we don't bomb to buy a slot, we don't bomb so we can tell y'all "suck it!" We bomb to say thanks. I'd hope that our bombs are at least something that the FOGs can enjoy, rather than being a recurring source of issue.

That said, until we hear otherwise, bombs away! Keep firing my noob brethren! :)

We work on the trust banking system around here, there is a lot of trust that goes into everything about CP. Folks earn their good reps over time dealing with other folks in a positive way. When someone pulls some crazy $hit, well it is a cause for concern. Especially when you are new and guys don't know $hit about you.

I agree with the way BBS handled this one. This guy just made a check his ass couldn't cash, it will take time to build back that trust. Lesson learned and I hope others learn as well.

Just so everyone can be on the same page. I've found that a gift is one of three things.

Something you know the recipient likes/wants/needs.

Something you think the recipient will like/want.

Something that you like and want to share.

If what you are going to send doesn't fit the above. Rethink your plan.

The last I'm going to say about this.

The following is my opinion, and my opinion only. Probably not going to make me popular.

Talk about an overreaction! Jeez, the guy tries to make a joke and gets jumped on with both feet. Did y'all forget he also sent 4 sticks? I'm guessing if your wife opened the package, she would have seen it for what it is, a joke. Could mandi have included a note, probably but it is obviously a joke. Blah, this is ridiculous.

Apparently, lessons in class, and humor, are in order around here......................

The following is my opinion, and my opinion only. Probably not going to make me popular.

Talk about an overreaction! Jeez, the guy tries to make a joke and gets jumped on with both feet. Did y'all forget he also sent 4 sticks? I'm guessing if your wife opened the package, she would have seen it for what it is, a joke. Could mandi have included a note, probably but it is obviously a joke. Blah, this is ridiculous.

Would you smoke a cigar thats been sitting next to a tampon for a few days? I know I wouldn't but that's just me.

I have to assume he had nothing but good intentions on bombing BBS but this is just a nasty attempt of adding humor to a bomb. BBS handled it just as he should have and personally I would have done the same thing but it would be in the garbage instead of a trip back to the sender.

Just so everyone can be on the same page. I've found that a gift is one of three things.

Something you know the recipient likes/wants/needs.

Something you think the recipient will like/want.

Something that you like and want to share.

If what you are going to send doesn't fit the above. Rethink your plan.

The last I'm going to say about this.

Precisely.

This was an utterly tasteless and classless act of a pissant, with absolutely no sense of what this community and brotherhood are about. Anyone to suggest otherwise is, in my opinion, cut from the same cloth as the sender. Point blank and period.

Tom, brother, you're 100% correct in this and I'm sorry for you for having to had to deal with such childishness.

I respectfully disagree. If this was a joke, and possibly part of the war (or a tag along act) there should have been a note or a PM or something to imply friendship along with the ball bust.

MandyPi has been here since this thread started and would have bought himself a great deal of respect by posting "Hey BBS, I apologize for the poorly executed attempt at humor, please throw out the tampon and enjoy the cigars as they were intended"

I know that my opinion carries no weight
Not quite right. All opinions are heard. Thoughtful, considered opinions are welcome even if it runs counter to the prevailing wisdom. There will always be someone to step up and defend your right to speak up. All voices potentially contribute something to the discussion. Start flinging crap or flaming, however, and your soapbox will get taken away. Jake, you've handled yourself well and made your points clearly, exactly what this place needs.

As classless as sending a tampon to Tom is, the situation may have been lightened up a tad if there was at least a note in the package
Absoluteley. See the next post.

Talk about an overreaction! Jeez, the guy tries to make a joke and gets jumped on with both feet...I'm guessing if your wife opened the package, she would have seen it for what it is, a joke...Blah, this is ridiculous.
Humor is communication and communication is predicated upon the sender and the receiver having sufficient shared context/history/understanding to decode the action as humor. As Lieutenant Commander Data learned, humor is, next to love, perhaps the most elusive human concept. MandiPi provided no context. That you find this ridiculous suggests that you think what works for you should work for anyone else. THAT is the ridiculous part.

Apparently, lessons in class, and humor, are in order around here......................
Right on, Jeff.

MandyPi, you are the man of the hour. Souldog has stepped up and now it's your turn. We're waiting.

Wilkey

It's been pointed out in this thread already, but a well-researched, thoughtful offensive is a wonderful thing to see. Case in point the recent O.L.D.F.A.R.T.S. campaign. Now that was a work of art that was classy and witty from top to bottom. Along with others, I'm not a fan of "carpet bombing" but if you're going to do so, at least take the action to communicate the positive vibe underlying your package. Whether it's a widow's mite or a chest of gold, it's the personal touch that can render something either valueless or priceless.

Carry on.

Wilkey

What this clown needs is an hour or two with The Good Sisters of Perpetual Misery and a good rap on the knuckles.

Doc.

Those who have been members of CP for several years are referred to as "FOG's". New members (aka: newbies) are just that, new members. They're not infants, they are adults, just like "FOG's". Saying someone is a newbie and they don't know right from wrong (ie: common sense) is inexcusable. Think about it... Let's not confuse newbies with an immature little child. We're all adults, let's act like it. If you truly believe that newbies really don't know any better, then not only are you wrong, you're insulting all new members.
One of the most astute posts I've read in a long time and cuts to the heart of many issues that arise here.

When you come to CigarPass, I guess we'll have expected that you've already "grown up". Over time, what you'll do is "grown into" the community.

Right on, Rod. Right on.

Wilkey

I figured I would help him out. This is what was posted on the Newb war thread.

Greeting everyone,
As some of you already know, I am the dope that unintentionally upset a respected member of this community. I have already privately apologized to him and explained that my intention was never to disrespect him. In addition, I offered to make it up to him by sending him something that he truly enjoyed. (I hope that he takes me up on that offer, as it will be the only way that I feel that I have rectified my blunder.)

When I prepared his bomb, I thought that he would chuckle at the “joke stick” that I added to the other cigars. In retrospect—and after reading some other posts—I see that I had made a bad choice. As such, I humbly apologize to BBS and any other member of this forum that was offended by my poor taste. It was a Newbie mistake, but as an adult, I should have known better. Once again, I apologize.

Respectfully,
MandyPi

:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

I figured I would help him out. This is what was posted on the Newb war thread.

Greeting everyone,
As some of you already know, I am the dope that unintentionally upset a respected member of this community. I have already privately apologized to him and explained that my intention was never to disrespect him. In addition, I offered to make it up to him by sending him something that he truly enjoyed. (I hope that he takes me up on that offer, as it will be the only way that I feel that I have rectified my blunder.)

When I prepared his bomb, I thought that he would chuckle at the “joke stick” that I added to the other cigars. In retrospect—and after reading some other posts—I see that I had made a bad choice. As such, I humbly apologize to BBS and any other member of this forum that was offended by my poor taste. It was a Newbie mistake, but as an adult, I should have known better. Once again, I apologize.

Respectfully,
MandyPi

:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

Billbaker3, thanks for the help. As a newbie, I did not know where I should have posted my apology.

To everyone, please read it. It expresses my honest feelings on the issue.

Once again, too EVERYONE and especially BBS, I wholeheartedly apologize.

Respectfully,
MandyPi

Status
Not open for further replies.