• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

PGA vs LIV

I don't really care to watch the same 48 to 54 golfers playing each tournament.

Seems boring to me.

LIV is applying for world ranking points. How would that even be possible if it is the same 48 to 54 players? Especially if you aren't playing any PGA events.

I don't really care to watch the same 48 to 54 golfers playing each tournament.

Seems boring to me.
LIV is applying for world ranking points. How would that even be possible if it is the same 48 to 54 players? Especially if you aren't playing any PGA events.
Brooks Koepka just went over and I suspect that more will as well. The money is just too irresistible.

As far as world rankings, I don't know how that could work since most of them are suspended from the PGA?

Brooks Koepka just went over and I suspect that more will as well. The money is just too irresistible.

As far as world rankings, I don't know how that could work since most of them are suspended from the PGA?
The list gets longer, kind of looks like guys that lost their mojo and haven't been winning. Bottom line is they are cashing out, with eight tournaments, so if you play all eight events and finish last you make $960K. Not a bad way to make a living for eight, three day events.

The list gets longer, kind of looks like guys that lost their mojo and haven't been winning. Bottom line is they are cashing out, with eight tournaments, so if you play all eight events and finish last you make $960K. Not a bad way to make a living for eight, three day events.
This just still doesn't make sense to me. The guys on the Vherf made some valid points about advertising but I just don't see how this can become profitable for the Saudis?

This just still doesn't make sense to me. The guys on the Vherf made some valid points about advertising but I just don't see how this can become profitable for the Saudis?
Don't want to get into the politics of it. Needless to say it's about acceptance for the Saudis.

I stole this from FB, a guy by the name of David Thompson. This is it in a nutshell.

"Golf as you know it has changed forever. It will never go back. LIV is a microcosm of society. Get paid for doing nothing and get awarded just for showing up."

Reminds me of about 10+ years ago in Mixed Martial Arts. Everyone has heard of the UFC, whether you follow or not. Another organization started up called "Affliction MMA" (yes, all those shirts that @Thoughts still wears). They scooped up a LOT of big names, both in their primes and a little past their best-by date, but still draws on name recognition, alone. Affliction threw around big money for purses -- we're talking exponential numbers compared to the top dog UFC -- and nearly broke even after a few years in existence. However, one last-minute canceled PPV after the card fell apart when one of the main eventers popped positive in a pee test completely broke the company. This was the biggest PPV they would have ever put on, with the biggest purses and most invested. Affliction folded very shortly after that happened.

With Saudi money, I don't see that happening, but the way they are tossing cash around really sounds like a familiar story. However, I can't help but think that there is another play here for them besides just the love of whack-a-ball (no pun intended. maybe.). I'm pretty sure it's not to turn a financial profit; nine figures is "Tuesday" for the royals. I get the feeling they are trying to get their claws into something deeper on an American an world stage, and once that is achieved, maybe they take their dimpled ball and go home? Then what?

Reminds me of about 10+ years ago in Mixed Martial Arts. Everyone has heard of the UFC, whether you follow or not. Another organization started up called "Affliction MMA" (yes, all those shirts that @Thoughts still wears). They scooped up a LOT of big names, both in their primes and a little past their best-by date, but still draws on name recognition, alone. Affliction threw around big money for purses -- we're talking exponential numbers compared to the top dog UFC -- and nearly broke even after a few years in existence. However, one last-minute canceled PPV after the card fell apart when one of the main eventers popped positive in a pee test completely broke the company. This was the biggest PPV they would have ever put on, with the biggest purses and most invested. Affliction folded very shortly after that happened.

With Saudi money, I don't see that happening, but the way they are tossing cash around really sounds like a familiar story. However, I can't help but think that there is another play here for them besides just the love of whack-a-ball (no pun intended. maybe.). I'm pretty sure it's not to turn a financial profit; nine figures is "Tuesday" for the royals. I get the feeling they are trying to get their claws into something deeper on an American an world stage, and once that is achieved, maybe they take their dimpled ball and go home? Then what?
That is exactly what I was thinking. It has to be something other than an investment in golf. I still think it would difficult to get a national TV source to carry LIV because of how controversial advertising would be.

It would be like buying advertising in a mini-series extolling the virtues of Hitler. I don't think Coke, Budweiser, or Doritos would see it as a wise move.

I doubt Budweiser would ever be an advertiser at a Saudi event. F1 drivers have to use sparkling fruit juice instead of champagne on the podium there.

I doubt Budweiser would ever be an advertiser at a Saudi event. F1 drivers have to use sparkling fruit juice instead of champagne on the podium there.
I agree, but it isn't US owned either.

Pay Perez made it official, it's about the money. What happens when the league goes bust, because the Saudis get bored?