• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

PGA vs LIV

I see that they are cutting out those players that aren't as good from the first two events. Now that they have hired enough of the players to keep up with their format. So those poor schleps are out in the cold. Talk about using people.

Crowds look a little thin if you ask me, and I read somewhere tickets were going for as little as $1.00. What is going to sustain the league in the long run? Are the Saudis going to fund hundreds of million every year? Eventually the money will stop because there is no way it is making money from the public. The players will be left rich but alienated, viewed as selling out their sport and their country. Greg Norman will be viewed as the Jim Jones that got everyone to drink the cool aid.

Crowds look a little thin if you ask me, and I read somewhere tickets were going for as little as $1.00. What is going to sustain the league in the long run? Are the Saudis going to fund hundreds of million every year? Eventually the money will stop because there is no way it is making money from the public. The players will be left rich but alienated, viewed as selling out their sport and their country. Greg Norman will be viewed as the Jim Jones that got everyone to drink the cool aid.
The Saudis are in it for something else besides the money -- I'm just not sure we will ever know what that play really is. Once that is achieved, I do believe that Lord Farquad will back out of the organization, and you are spot on about the rest of it. The real pain is going to come if these players' sponsors start leaving them because of their jump.

The Saudis are in it for something else besides the money -- I'm just not sure we will ever know what that play really is. Once that is achieved, I do believe that Lord Farquad will back out of the organization, and you are spot on about the rest of it. The real pain is going to come if these players' sponsors start leaving them because of their jump.
I have racked my brain trying to figure out what the Saudi's angle is. I simply can't see how they could recoup the money. No big companies are going to advertise because of how controversial the Saudis are.

The only plausible answer I've gotten is that they are trying to change the worlds perception of them by sponsoring/representing a game rather than just killing people.

This will ruin the career of the youngers guys who jumped. They will never be accepted by the rest of the golf world no matter how good they are. The older guys don't care, the massive amounts of money are just their way of riding off into the sunset.

I have racked my brain trying to figure out what the Saudi's angle is. I simply can't see how they could recoup the money. No big companies are going to advertise because of how controversial the Saudis are.

The only plausible answer I've gotten is that they are trying to change the worlds perception of them by sponsoring/representing a game rather than just killing people.

This will ruin the career of the youngers guys who jumped. They will never be accepted by the rest of the golf world no matter how good they are. The older guys don't care, the massive amounts of money are just their way of riding off into the sunset.
This kind of money is a pittance to Saudi royalty. There's no way this is about financial investment.

I don't begrudge people who have more money than me. And I don't like people who do begrudge others who have more than they do.

But if billions is a pittance, fuck those assholes!🤣
We're talking about a guy who disposed of multi-million dollar supercars when he got tired of them. Not sold them, or gave them as gifts, but disposed of them, so that nobody else would have those particular custom cars. He also commutes in a Boing 747 with enough gold plating inside to make Donald Trump pout in the corner.

I saw something over the weekend about Bubba Watson joining LIV. One of the talking heads said this might keep him out of the Hall of Fame. Is it a PGA HOF? Or a golf HOF?

If the former, I get it. But if the latter, why? Opting for money doesn't change what he's accomplished playing.

I saw something over the weekend about Bubba Watson joining LIV. One of the talking heads said this might keep him out of the Hall of Fame. Is it a PGA HOF? Or a golf HOF?

If the former, I get it. But if the latter, why? Opting for money doesn't change what he's accomplished playing.
I "think" it's a golf hall of fame.

It's like the discussion every year about this time over guys who were great on the field and not so great people. I guess if they were good enough for the NFL to use them to make millions, they should probably be good enough to be in the NFL hall of fame.

It's a shame for the guys who earned it the right way but the NFL HOF should be a hall of shame nowadays!

Why is golf the line that cannot be crossed? The Saudi's own huge amounts of American companies that people use everyday and no one has said anything. Make no mistake, all this bad press is being funded by their competitor the PGA. Are the same people complaining, going to not buy an electric car, stop using Uber, for the gamers out there don't play any EA games. They have Billions if not trillions at their disposal, this is just a way for them to diversify a little. They will never get rid of the PGA, but I believe they can coexist.

Why is golf the line that cannot be crossed? The Saudi's own huge amounts of American companies that people use everyday and no one has said anything. Make no mistake, all this bad press is being funded by their competitor the PGA. Are the same people complaining, going to not buy an electric car, stop using Uber, for the gamers out there don't play any EA games. They have Billions if not trillions at their disposal, this is just a way for them to diversify a little. They will never get rid of the PGA, but I believe they can coexist.
It's an out of sight out of mind thing and you are correct nobody cares about the other things because they just don't know anything about it.

There's two things working to fuel this mess. The PGA is making it look worse than it is and the Saudis reputation is bad enough to begin with.

I also think the PGA is in damage control mode because they're being exposed for some things that were well hidden previously.

And would the reaction be different if you replace Saudi Arabia with China?

And would the reaction be different if you replace Saudi Arabia with China?
Well, on the whole, probably only if the talking heads told us all to shame them the same way. However, the Chinese backing wouldn't be headed by a guy who literally had an American citizen dismembered in the not so distant past...

While we're calling a spade a spade it's probably fair to mention that the vast majority of US citizens have no idea just how ruthless our government is with respect to the rest of the world. Our government treats us like mushrooms keeping us in the dark and feeding us shit as a daily routine. The perception of US versus the rest of the world that our government forces down our throat is also a joke.

It's all perception.

Well, on the whole, probably only if the talking heads told us all to shame them the same way. However, the Chinese backing wouldn't be headed by a guy who literally had an American citizen dismembered in the not so distant past...
I don't think Khashoggi was a US citizen, if that's who you mean. He went to the Saudi embassy in Turkey to get his Saudi divorce papers IIRC. It was a bad deal, but not sure having a million citizens in forced labor camps is so much better.

I don't think Khashoggi was a US citizen, if that's who you mean. He went to the Saudi embassy in Turkey to get his Saudi divorce papers IIRC. It was a bad deal, but not sure having a million citizens in forced labor camps is so much better.
Ah, I recant. Absolutely a case of, "Not our monkeys. Not our circus.", and there are bigger fish to fry in the world, as you point out. I 100% agree that the atrocities across China should be at the forefront of the conversation when it comes to any sort of trade or commerce with The Red State, but, Most Favored Nation and all...

That was my point from earlier in the thread, people really have their blinders on when it comes to China.
Not to get into politics, but we are our own worst enemy when it comes to China. Go to any store you want to and over 75% of the inventory is made in China. The Saudi issue is more complicated because they have oil that is a world economy product and control its flow.
Now back to golf, without a TV contract or sponsorship deal how can they grow fans as has been stated before. They couldn't even get enough fans to watch in person.