RIP John Madden

Cparker

My dogs don't smoke
There was a documentary of John Madden on Christmas day. It was just before the games on Saturday. I believe it is viewable on Tubi, Peacock and ESPN+. Well worth the time in my opinion. Really enjoyed it and it was a walk down memory lane. Timing of the broadcast and his passing is a bit interesting. But, what a guy. Seemed to succeed at everything he tried.

kann

One Leg Of Fury.
As an old school Raiders fan, this hits kind of hard. I grew up during his heyday as a broadcaster, as well, and remember seeing the Madden Bus in person a few times over the years. Losing a lot of legends as they get older. :(

ChuckJr

Man, we were just discussing him the other day and I wondered aloud if he was still around.

CigarStone

For once, knowledge is making me poor!
As a Steeler fan, I always loved how agitated John was about the Immaculate Reception. He said he would never get over it.

I loved the guy!

Pugman1943

As an old school Raiders fan, this hits kind of hard. I grew up during his heyday as a broadcaster, as well, and remember seeing the Madden Bus in person a few times over the years. Losing a lot of legends as they get older. :(

That happens as we get older, youngster. Now, go scratch a dog or two. I don't get deep into ball, but followed Madden as he always Seemed to be right up there. Great coach.

jfields

Where did all my money go?
How sad! I was just thinking about him the other day when they were advertising the tribute to him on TV.

modo22

Very sad to see, but he lived a FULL life! Of all of his career highlights; He created a video game boom and I would be interested to see how close Madden sales are compared to all other video game franchises since the 1988!

smellysell

Go Vols!!!
Very sad to see, but he lived a FULL life! Of all of his career highlights; He created a video game boom and I would be interested to see how close Madden sales are compared to all other video game franchises since the 1988!
I don't know how they could ever measure it, but wonder how much that video game franchise has contributed to the NFL's popularity.

cabaiguan juan

Slava Ukraini !
Was this due to on going health issues? I always wondered why he retired from announcing. It seemed abrupt to me but maybe he was just looking for more time with family. Any insight?