• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Secondary Fermentation: Your thoughts

CRQuarto

Brrraaaiiinnnsss.....
With the risk of contamination being the primary concern of many who don't do a secondary fermentation, it has me debating on whether to chance it or not. Some swear by it, others shun it. How do you gents here that brew feel about it? I realize I could find something of a similar topic on some of the brew forums, but I like an active discussion, and I'd rather talk about it with you guys first.

I think oxidation is more of an issue than infection. I only secondary when I dry hop as I have had terrible results dry hopping in primary. That being said, I do not lager.

I always secondary. Always. I have never had oxidation issues, mainly because I don't splash my beer around like its a bucket of water. And since I mostly brew bigger beers, it ages a bit more (up to 6 months sometimes in my case) so I don't need that funk in the bottom contributing more than it needs to. When I lager I might go tertiary as it really starts impacting flavor leaving it on the yeast that long. Plus it helps clear out the beer more. Something you usually are trying for with lagering.

You don't have to worry about oxidation if you keep from splashing and fill from the bottom. Autosiphon is good for this as it keeps the chance for contamination down, which is rare unless you are transferring onto some dirty glass (or plastic, eww).

Martin, you should take advantage of that winter weather and lager next year. It is a bit more involved than ales, but very rewarding drinking a lager you made yourself on a warm summer day.

Only time I ever secondary is if I'm adding something like dry hops, oak, etc or if it's a big beer that I want to bulk age. If it's a "normal" gravity ale, I just cold crash it in the bucket (that's right BUCKET!!!) and then rack it into a keg after few weeks.

I don't bother with it. It's not for fear of anything other than it's just one more thing to do. I've not had any problems that using a secondary would have solved yet, so I continue in my misguided ways. :laugh:

I leave the brew in the primary for a week or two after fermentation is done and rack to the keg. I set the pressure at serving pressure (so it takes a little while to carb up; I don't really force carb like a lot of people) and let it sit until it's carbed. This also works as cold crashing. A couple of times I've had a little yeast in the first pint, but I can usually see it in time to stop the pour, dump the beer, and head back to the keg for a clean pint.

I don't really brew much you can see through anyway, so clarity isn't high on my list.

I almost always put the beer into secondary. I am usually dry hopping or aging a big beer though. I also like getting more of the sediment out of the beer.

I always secondary, always....every time......without fail

but it is just part of what I do, no real reason for it, except the first time i did it, because I need the damn bucket to brew again.
Started out, with a 14 day primary, 21 day secondary, then 21 days in the bottles....yes thats right, i bottle, and use plastic buckets....<GASP>
but now, it sits in the secondary, until i am ready to carb and bottle it, sometimes for months, esp if it is my Christmas ale, which I brew in Aug or Sept.

Please don't ask what i secondary in.....you don't want to know...

all this to say "do what feels good"

Be good, or be good at it....WORD!!!

Tim

Well, I was thinking of doing a secondary in a smaller (5 gallon) better bottle as I want the clearing aspect, and also to get the beer off of the trub. Seems like the guys here that do it don't have a problem with oxidation. Shant and I use an autosiphon, so the exposure to the air would be as minimal as possible, short of purging the bottle with CO2, which I am considering seeing as a small bottle of it would be pretty cheap.

Blah, kegging would be nice but it isn't in the cards yet.

MX, where do you shop for your ingredients? I have been wanting some RIS and am out of luck for buying it here. So I'm going to make up multiple batches of my famous (to me) RIS to share around the office.

And my comments on glass were geared to what I brew BIG HEAVY beers. If there is nothing wrong with your beer, then don't change anything. I've had a few beers come out pretty poor from using plastic for extended periods and not racking to a secondary. Longer you let it sit on that plastic the longer you will have to spend cleaning/sanitizing, from my point of view of course. I don't like to chance it any more. Since switching to secondary in glass I have yet, knock on wood, to have any off flavors or other concerns. I'll stick with it because it works for me, and the extra 10 minutes is worth the peace of mind after a 8 hour brew day.

MX, where do you shop for your ingredients? I have been wanting some RIS and am out of luck for buying it here. So I'm going to make up multiple batches of my famous (to me) RIS to share around the office.

I either order on line through Rebel Brewer, or I shop locally(if you call 1 hour drive local) at Brouwland. I need to make a trip and see what is new at Brouwland, as I have been away for 3 months.

As for plastic, I was not trying to say anything on way or another, I cant afford glass...cost to much at the local, and too much to ship

Been looking to hit up Brouwland, it's a little over an hour for me. Thanks.

we should get together and make a trip, or at least meet up there

we should get together and make a trip, or at least meet up there
Sounds good to me. Let me figure out when I can make it. Been trying to get another reservation for 12 and if we don't then I should have a few hours to devote to the brew store. Plus I got another guy pestering me about going.