• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

She's going to listen to me now!

I Hope your wife is going to be ok John, when the airbags come out, it's never a good thing, bumps and bruises from the airbag are pretty common but better than the alternative I guess.

The law has been handed down in CA, I forget the date, but they keep pushing it back, no handheld phones while driving, I see it every day, someone going 45 on the freeway phone in ear, people are bad enough drivers as it is, they don't need that distraction too.
there is a cool bluetooth device with a mic and a speaker you hang on the visor in the car, one of my co-workers has it, I thought that might be the way to go for me.

though I also have been distracted by my stereo too if I push the wrong button .... :blush:

This law takes effect on July 1, 2008 if I am not mistaken. Several things allow Police to enforce citation violations if driver's are seen talking without a handsfree device. I am in support of this, but unless someone is driving erradically and unsafe, I am not going to write that ticket.

On the other side of the law, the part I am in most support of, it prohibits teenagers from talking or texting on their cell phone AT ALL while driving. It does not provide a teenager to have a hands-free device, it is a ZERO TOLERANCE policy on teenagers using cell phones. If a teenager is seen violating this, it give the Officer the discretion to impound their vehicle.

John, I am DAMN GLAD that you're wife is okay, and judging on the mathematics of the feet of skid marks your wife's vehicle's tires made, she was going at a decent decent speed. She is fortunate to be safe and well... It is nice to see professional courtesy given in this instance, but MAN...she is VERY LUCKY the Officer didn't do anything.

Not to harp on your wife or anything, and I am so very glad to find that your children weren't in the vehicle. Thank GOD. If you need anything, please let me know John... Prayers for a quick recovery.

I'm glad to hear she is OK. I forwarded this thread to my wife. So she won't think about answering me while driving and I won't call her while I'm driving anymore.

I'm so sorry John! We will continue to keep your family in prayer and it's helped me to rethink my habit of talking and driving too :blush: .

Bargogirl

Glad to hear everyone is safe from harm.

To piggyback on Wilkey's warning, handsfree sets are really no safer than handheld cell phones. It isn't the fact that your hands are occupied that is so dangerous, it's the strain on your cognitive load. Think of your brain as if it were a computer, with a finite amount of RAM, meaning that there's only so much you can meaningfully attend to at one time. Driving is a "program" that consumes much of your cognitive resources, and to introduce the anticipatory, responsive, and thoughtful elements required to have a telephone conversation is dangerous because it diverts much of your necessary brainpower from the more important and more complex task (driving) to a secondary, yet still fairly complex task (conversing). Just as when you're running a bunch of resource-intensive programs simultaneously on your computer and performance slows down, your brain acts in much the same way by slowing down your reaction times when you're overextended.

Some studies have suggested that the main difference between the relative safety of conversing with a passenger versus conversing on the telephone are due to the fact that when talking on the phone, unlike a passenger, the person on the other end of the line has no idea when you must take a pause from the conversation to concentrate on driving, and that the cadence of the conversation moves faster and with fewer "pauses for driving" than if the non-driver was aware of the driving conditions. The precise reason for why phone conversations are so dangerous hasn't been totally agreed upon, but there is wide consensus that driving while talking (regardless of phone type) is much more dangerous than simply driving

I wrote a research proposal focusing on this issue for a graduate course in cognitive psychology a few years ago, and I'd be more than willing to forward a copy of it to anyone interested--just PM me with your email address. The experimental design of my proposal is not without flaws, but the literature review portion may be useful ammunition for anyone trying to convince their spouse or loved ones to reduce phone usage while driving. I've also got 15 or so PDFs of relevant psychological studies I'd be willing to pass along as well.

Wow, I'm glad everyone's okay. Horrible news to be sure.
Sending good vibes your way...

~R

Glad things weren't worse!
Hopefully the wifey's pain will lessen and you get a nice new ride.

-Rob

Wow, sorry to hear about all this John. I am glad to see that both are walking away from this. Hope the wifey recovers quickly. Sure brings new meaning to learning things the hard way.

My God, John! Thank goodness both she and the other driver are okay.

Whew, that must have been scary to receive
a call like that. Glad to hear all is well.

Jack

Glad to hear everyone is safe from harm.

To piggyback on Wilkey's warning, handsfree sets are really no safer than handheld cell phones. It isn't the fact that your hands are occupied that is so dangerous, it's the strain on your cognitive load. Think of your brain as if it were a computer, with a finite amount of RAM, meaning that there's only so much you can meaningfully attend to at one time. Driving is a "program" that consumes much of your cognitive resources, and to introduce the anticipatory, responsive, and thoughtful elements required to have a telephone conversation is dangerous because it diverts much of your necessary brainpower from the more important and more complex task (driving) to a secondary, yet still fairly complex task (conversing). Just as when you're running a bunch of resource-intensive programs simultaneously on your computer and performance slows down, your brain acts in much the same way by slowing down your reaction times when you're overextended.

Some studies have suggested that the main difference between the relative safety of conversing with a passenger versus conversing on the telephone are due to the fact that when talking on the phone, unlike a passenger, the person on the other end of the line has no idea when you must take a pause from the conversation to concentrate on driving, and that the cadence of the conversation moves faster and with fewer "pauses for driving" than if the non-driver was aware of the driving conditions. The precise reason for why phone conversations are so dangerous hasn't been totally agreed upon, but there is wide consensus that driving while talking (regardless of phone type) is much more dangerous than simply driving

I wrote a research proposal focusing on this issue for a graduate course in cognitive psychology a few years ago, and I'd be more than willing to forward a copy of it to anyone interested--just PM me with your email address. The experimental design of my proposal is not without flaws, but the literature review portion may be useful ammunition for anyone trying to convince their spouse or loved ones to reduce phone usage while driving. I've also got 15 or so PDFs of relevant psychological studies I'd be willing to pass along as well.
Dude, we need to chat. :D

Does the name Jan Plass mean anything to you?

Wilkey

I'm glad your wife and the other driver weren't seriously hurt, John. I wish her well.

This is the main reason I don't even have a cell phone (besides the fact that I don't really NEED to talk to anyone). We keep one in the center console in case of emergency or to call AAA if we need to, but it's not really used other than that.

Wow, John, I'm very glad everyone's more or less unharmed! Best wishes to the both of you.