• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Today's smoke - 2014

Light this! said:
This evening I was deciding between a JL No. 4 RE and a 13 Punch DC. I chose the Punch. Overall it was a good cigar but definitely needs some down time. One long ass smoke too!

IMG_2041_zps3c3551e3.jpg

This is my favorite Cuban DC right behind the SLR DC.  After 5-6 years both are stupendous.

I had a T52 robusto last night that was so spot on I grabbed a second and lit it up.

nfulton said:
This evening I was deciding between a JL No. 4 RE and a 13 Punch DC. I chose the Punch. Overall it was a good cigar but definitely needs some down time. One long ass smoke too!

IMG_2041_zps3c3551e3.jpg

This is my favorite Cuban DC right behind the SLR DC.  After 5-6 years both are stupendous.

I had a T52 robusto last night that was so spot on I grabbed a second and lit it up.
Definitely right about that! The last box I purchased of these was in 2007. Smoking great now.....

nfulton said:
euetyyretrpirqteiwqrooyqwqoweyetypwwtowwiwtyoqotweiwqopiuwwtoeetuipreeryrqwoepeoqierrttiqrtioorritrrirtirtqqtrroqrttuouwitoooyypetuyiueowioputttttttttttwtttowooopptutytyeoiryqiuiuqy

IMG_2041_zps3c3551e3.jpg

Light this! said:
On my morning drive I revisited the Punch RE just to confirm that they're good - yup still very good. :love:  However both that I've had so far burned wonky and I had to constantly keep touching them up. 

IMG_2010_zpseee41e1a.jpg
Have you turned them in the box Kris?

An awesome experience outside by the fire pit with the family tonight that started with campfire chicken cooked over the coals. Ended with a Padron 1926 #9 that Infinity's wife sent to me for my last birthday. Had a sticker on it stating 06/05. A finger burner for sure!

Headley Grange lancero earlier with loud music now having a Namakubi Equador Papa Chuli listening to Ella (a mismatch perhaps).

A nice Opus Petit Lancero with about 7 or more years on it. Was pretty good, and better than I expected. The Raisin note I get from these was there in spades.

jfields said:
An awesome experience outside by the fire pit with the family tonight that started with campfire chicken cooked over the coals. Ended with a Padron 1926 #9 that Infinity's wife sent to me for my last birthday. Had a sticker on it stating 06/05. A finger burner for sure.
What a great night!

Took Friday off after a long night in Boston Thursday night. Got to enjoy the weather Friday afternoon with this gem.
gallery_13257_1492_411622.jpg

Saturday during the B's game i enjoyed this little aged beauty that Brandon included in a recent Beer PIF. Outstanding smoke brother thank you!
gallery_13257_1492_117351.jpg

gallery_13257_1492_593938.jpg

Today while enjoying the Sox day game at the Inlaws I finally pulled the trigger on lighting up one of these that I was able snag a fiver of not to long ago. It was Glorious and one of the best Boli's I have had!
gallery_13257_1492_327139.jpg

I hope everyone had a good weekend. Clearly I did!
Paul

ironpeddler said:

On my morning drive I revisited the Punch RE just to confirm that they're good - yup still very good. :love:  However both that I've had so far burned wonky and I had to constantly keep touching them up. 

Gary, I don't have the box for these as it was a group buy. Does turning them in the box help out with burn issues?

This afternoon I decided to give the JL No.4 RE another shot. For some reason my palate is not agreeing with these. I'll try these again in a few months to see if something changes. 

IMG_2058_zpsd1b06f2d.jpg

I was doing some work on my work trailer this afternoon and I forgot that I had this in my small travel humi. Now these Partagas Shorts never disappoint.

IMG_2059_zps162369b6.jpg

Por Larranaga Los Andes last night. Decent, but I think they need to sleep for a few years.

The weather was just okay over the weekend but was able to get in a few cigars:

Illusione cg4 - always good, excellent construction
7.20.4 Classic - A gift from Jimmy and my first time with this line.  Wrapper looked amazing, nice cigar.  Thanks again, Jimmy!!
HDM Epi 2 - '13 just so damn good.  Could have had another.
PL Panetela - Didn't like these ROTT, getting better with time.  Nice quick smoke.

LarryH said:

Tat Black Tubo....father time was unkind to these
They were never good Los!

Thanks for helping me make one of my weekend selections. :(

Friday night I burned the one I've had since February 2010.  I have to agree that it did not live up to the hype.  Pretty much the first two thirds was mainly just strong and harsh.  At least I didn't get any bitterness.  I was pleasantly surprised when the last third improved.  It was still strong but the harshness faded to the point that it was enjoyable.

Light this! said:

Gary, I don't have the box for these as it was a group buy. Does turning them in the box help out with burn issues?

Definately. I periodically spin them in most all my boxes...especially those with consistent side burn issues.This whole discussion is based on that assumption...consistent burning issues in the same location. One of the constants being that the heavier wrappers tend to hold the humidity. I also get that in my older sticks that reside in the bottom of my Aristocrat as the humidity is about 4-5% higher down there. It's also where I like to long term age my cigars as I've always been a proponent to aging at higher humidities.

Also, try dry boxing the next one for a few days before smoking it to see if that helps.  

I've always treated uneven burning as a storage issue before thinking it's a construction issue when it involves a good many cigars in the same box. In my time smoking, I look at it as being one of three degrees of excessive humidity. If it's just the wrapper burning incorrectly, that could be fixed by either dry boxing or spinning them to the opposite side of the consistent burn location for a week or so. If the uneven burning encompasses the wrapper and binder, that could take a few weeks to correct itself once spun. If it's the wrapper, binder, and has worked it's way into the filler, I'll spin them and wait 3-6 months before revisiting them again to see if it helped. If it hasn't, I'll then chalk that up to a construction issue. The main factor to keep in mind is...like you said, are most of the cigars doing it? Are they doing it at the same spot?...and if so, is it directly opposite to the front of the band?...the bottom of the cigar sorta say.  

At the end of the day, it's a crap shoot. But with a little tinkering, I get less aggravated as I've done my best to correct this flaw. Plus it gives me some quality time playing with my cigars...who very seldom give me any back talk like my kids & ex-wife do.  

Thanks for the info Gary as I learned something new brother. I think this came in a bit over humidified myself.