• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Today's Smoke 2017

We've been into some stores that had moldy sticks and they insisted on telling us it's plume :rolleyes:They are either stupid or think that we are.
That has happened a time or two. They really went out of their way to sell me those things. Makes a guy a bit peeved

We've been into some stores that had moldy sticks and they insisted on telling us it's plume :rolleyes:They are either stupid or think that we are.
Pretty much. Some get very indignant if you disagree. I just write them off.

eta: A good loupe, which I've carried for years (habit from coin collecting days) can solve the argument real fast.

Last edited:
One person's mold is another's plume YMMV!
I will say this I have had a box of Diamond Crown Maduro No. 6 that had the most beautiful crystals on them and they smoked like a dream. Also a box of Hemingway Signature Maduro, that also had the crystalline spots on them. Most time it's just mold especially at the cigar shops.

I've had lots of smokes develop plume. Especially if oily wrappers are in the mix.
I have a box of 4 Pepin Rolled Miami 8/11 Salomons. They have the finest plume I've ever seen. Almost like dust, and mostly where they touch each other. If I can capture it in a photo, I'll post it.

Josh has actually had a few that had plume on it, so I can say it exists. But then for some there's the question of if that powder (which is determined to not be mold) is really crystallized oils and not something else. What else could it be? I know there are some who don't really believe in it I guess. I think Josh had a couple younger ones with it on it too, and yes, he knows the difference between mold and plume lol

Maybe one day you'll see an actual UFO, the day you smoke your first plume ridden cigar :D and maybe you'll be enjoying it with that rock lady :p

rock lady will be long dead....she looked a good deal older than me, and not one to take good care of herself.

I've seen sticks with hard water deposits on them from a lazy B&M not using distilled water, and have had the same shops try to tell me it's plume.

rock lady will be long dead....she looked a good deal older than me, and not one to take good care of herself.

I've seen sticks with hard water deposits on them from a lazy B&M not using distilled water, and have had the same shops try to tell me it's plume.
Many of them will say anything to sell, hoping that their customers are ignorant.

Many of them will say anything to sell, hoping that their customers are ignorant.
I always think twice about buying from a shop period. There's a shop in Miami. Big place. Prides itself on the entire store staying at 72%. All boxes open to the air. Celloed or not. So of course you cant argue and say I wouldn't store my sticks at home like this. As for the moldy Upmanns..live and learn.

Yes you are right upon closer inspection. I think Ill need to get off the economy wheel. Lol.

No worries, wipe it down and enjoy*.

*unless it is all over the foot and/or blue

I always think twice about buying from a shop period. There's a shop in Miami. Big place. Prides itself on the entire store staying at 72%. All boxes open to the air. Celloed or not. So of course you cant argue and say I wouldn't store my sticks at home like this. As for the moldy Upmanns..live and learn.

72% is OK for a commercial walk-in. Just let them rest at home before you light one up.

Although, Miami shouldn't need much humidity, just like Houston. :cool: