• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Today's Smoke 2021

Hooten Young “Overlord”. This is a Churchill if I’ve ever seen one. Great name for the vitola, too... @Pugman1943

View attachment 39424

Has anyone smoked one of these before? Right out of the cello, it had a strong hay/grass smell, which was kind of pleasant. The cold draw was barnyard and tobacco. Again, rather pleasant. When lit, it alternated between sweet hay/grass, grains, and rich, rich tobacco. I had a problem keeping it lit, though, and I ended up scorching the flavors by overheating it on the draw. When it was good, it was so damn good. When it was not so good, I wanted to toss it. I wish the whole cigar smoked as great as it seems it could have. I only had it in the dry box for two days, so I guess it needed longer. Just kind of weird how it would be good for a spell, and then shitty for a spell -- back and forth like a switch was being flipped.

Stopped at the local lounge on the way home, owner recommended a Monte by Monecristo AJ Fernandez Toro. I liked it a lot. Bought another to take home, along with a CAO Flathead V554.

The Monte per Halfwheel:

• Cigar Reviewed: Monte by Montecristo AJ Fernandez Toro
  • Country of Origin: Nicaragua
  • Factory: Tabacalera AJ Fernandez Cigars de Nicaragua S.A.
  • Wrapper: Ecuadorian Habano
  • Binder: Nicaraguan Corojo 98
  • Filler: Nicaraguan Criollo 98, Dominican Republic Piloto Cubano
  • Length: 6 Inches
  • Ring Gauge: 55
  • Vitola: Toro
If it's not too cold I think I'll smoke the CAO on the porch after dinner.

20210226_183247 (2).jpg

For many years I have been a fan of Quesada blends.
Can't go wrong with the Espana, the Reserva Privada, the D'etat Daga, or pretty much any other Quesada blend; they are just great cigars, IMO, of course.
Today I was trying to figure out if I wanted something on the lighter side, the heavier side, or something 'between the lines.' Sorry AF. :p
I decided on a Reserva Privada Barberpole, which I have purchased several boxes of over the past few years, and I have a stash of a few left that are now 3 years in the humi.
What else is there to say about the Quesada Reserva Privada Barberpole other than GIVE ME MORE!!!!!!!
Pictured below at pre-cut, lighting, 30, 60, 90, and 110 minutes.
Goes great with some Grand Marnier on the rocks. :cool:

Attachments

• # QRPBP PC.jpg
    # QRPBP PC.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 4
  • # QRPBP 00.jpg
    # QRPBP 00.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 4
  • # QRPBP 30.jpg
    # QRPBP 30.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 4
  • # QRPBP 60.jpg
    # QRPBP 60.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 4
  • # QRPBP 90.jpg
    # QRPBP 90.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 4
  • # QRPBP 110.jpg
    # QRPBP 110.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 3
Trying out a gifted cigar, Rojas statement, (@TexasTraveler) and a small smoke, illusione 68, I picked up from a local shop. I’ve been looking into smaller smokes with longer than normal burn times and good flavors so gonna check this bad boy out too while I wait on my short R&Js to age another 4 years.
735F6DF0-B79B-4A5B-B0F5-D87D396058F5.jpeg
1st: oh yah, this one is a full. Got a dark, rich flavors like most do, pepper on the retrohale, some sweetness and nearing the end a bit of leather coming through.
2nd: I can definitely see why you like these A-Aron, this is making me grow man hair just by smoking it, more pepper at the start of the 2nd that is easing up coming to the end of it, nose holes are peppery and there is a nice subtle cream adding to the still subtle leather. Minimally sweet but I know it’s there like a reach around but only for emotional support81FE57D9-294A-47F1-8BCE-3E22C80FB366.jpeg
Last third: still a good power bomb. I can walk fine but my brain is definitely tingling. The pepper has actually let up some in the last third and the tobacco, dark coffee, and mild sweetness is there with a little leather/cream. Not a lot of leather and cream but just a tad. I bet a box of these sitting for a few years would be so freaking good. Retrohale is a bit of heavy espresso and tobaccy. I would buy this cigar but only to set it down for a while to let it mellow some. FDCD66F9-81CD-414B-896E-8276B0DC1E9F.jpeg

Last edited:
Trying out a gifted cigar, Rojas statement, (@TexasTraveler) and a small smoke, illusione 68, I picked up from a local shop. I’ve been looking into smaller smokes with longer than normal burn times and good flavors so gonna check this bad boy out too while I wait on my short R&Js to age another 4 years.
View attachment 39471
1st: oh yah, this one is a full. Got a dark, rich flavors like most do, pepper on the retrohale, some sweetness and nearing the end a bit of leather coming through.
2nd: I can definitely see why you like these A-Aron, this is making me grow man hair just by smoking it, more pepper at the start of the 2nd that is easing up coming to the end of it, nose holes are peppery and there is a nice subtle cream adding to the still subtle leather. Minimally sweet but I know it’s there like a reach around but only for emotional supportView attachment 39473
Last third: still a good power bomb. I can walk fine but my brain is definitely tingling. The pepper has actually let up some in the last third and the tobacco, dark coffee, and mild sweetness is there with a little leather/cream. Not a lot of leather and cream but just a tad. I bet a box of these sitting for a few years would be so freaking good. Retrohale is a bit of heavy espresso and tobaccy. I would buy this cigar but only to set it down for a while to let it mellow some. View attachment 39480
Glad you enjoyed it as much as I do... You were spot on with the profile...

For many years I have been a fan of Quesada blends.
Can't go wrong with the Espana, the Reserva Privada, the D'etat Daga, or pretty much any other Quesada blend; they are just great cigars, IMO, of course.
Today I was trying to figure out if I wanted something on the lighter side, the heavier side, or something 'between the lines.' Sorry AF. :p
I decided on a Reserva Privada Barberpole, which I have purchased several boxes of over the past few years, and I have a stash of a few left that are now 3 years in the humi.
What else is there to say about the Quesada Reserva Privada Barberpole other than GIVE ME MORE!!!!!!!
Pictured below at pre-cut, lighting, 30, 60, 90, and 110 minutes.
Goes great with some Grand Marnier on the rocks. :cool:
The Espana is the bomb, and can be had extremely cheaply right now. Hard to pass up.

View attachment 39471
2nd: I can definitely see why you like these A-Aron, this is making me grow man hair just by smoking it, more pepper at the start of the 2nd that is easing up coming to the end of it, nose holes are peppery and there is a nice subtle cream adding to the still subtle leather. Minimally sweet but I know it’s there like a reach around but only for emotional supportView attachment 39473
Last third: still a good power bomb. I can walk fine but my brain is definitely tingling. The pepper has actually let up some in the last third and the tobacco, dark coffee, and mild sweetness is there with a little leather/cream. Not a lot of leather and cream but just a tad. I bet a box of these sitting for a few years would be so freaking good. Retrohale is a bit of heavy espresso and tobaccy. I would buy this cigar but only to set it down for a while to let it mellow some. View attachment 39480
Haven't had one in a long time (apparently since before they changed labels?) but those 68 are so good.