• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Top 5 Cuban Non Cubans

Thought you applied for a HELOC to go after a few of these?

This is a fantastic article, Dan!

My wife already questions my buying habits…😮‍💨🤣

A good one for sure!

Cuban cigars have so many telling characteristics including appearance but mainly they have a distinctive earthy sweetness that is unmistakable.

The more time they rest, the more they develop those unique and undeniable characteristics.

My first Cuban was a Vegueros Tapados. The wrapper was much lighter than the current versions I’ve seen over the last 3-5 years, so I imagine it was older than I thought. It had the “twang” so many people have talked about concerning a well kept CC, and there was a host of flavors I’d never come across before.

For those who’ve been enjoying CC through the decades, there’s a foundation of olfactory experience that is unmatched in terms of comparing NC and new CC production.

A good one for sure!

Cuban cigars have so many telling characteristics including appearance but mainly they have a distinctive earthy sweetness that is unmistakable.
Bill mentioned to me before that Cuba's rich volcanic soil is the only soil that lacks malic acid. From everything I have read, it will add a tartness or bitterness to tobacco and foods it is contained in. I can see why this sweetness is present in Cuban cigars only. I've never noticed this in any NC cigar that I thought was "Cubanesque". Just that they were close. I guess it is kind of like how sweet beer would be without the deliberate addition of hops.

The original Tat Black definitely. I remember the hype was through the roof on those when they came out. Wonder if anyone was able to resist and still has some in a humidor somewhere?
They were so damn good! The ones Pete occasionally gifted prior to there ever being a jar release, along with the foil bundle ones he sent to select vendors in Christmas 2007 as a thank you were the best. They were ugly mottled wrappers, but smoked so incredibly well. Pete told me the wrapper used was really something that should be a filler leaf, but was something Pepin more or less said (In Spanish 😉), "You want a cigar that's close to Cuban!!??!! Hold my beer!"

Last edited: