• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Top 5 Cuban Non Cubans

Thought you applied for a HELOC to go after a few of these?

This is a fantastic article, Dan!

My wife already questions my buying habits…😮‍💨🤣

A good one for sure!

Cuban cigars have so many telling characteristics including appearance but mainly they have a distinctive earthy sweetness that is unmistakable.

The more time they rest, the more they develop those unique and undeniable characteristics.

My first Cuban was a Vegueros Tapados. The wrapper was much lighter than the current versions I’ve seen over the last 3-5 years, so I imagine it was older than I thought. It had the “twang” so many people have talked about concerning a well kept CC, and there was a host of flavors I’d never come across before.

For those who’ve been enjoying CC through the decades, there’s a foundation of olfactory experience that is unmatched in terms of comparing NC and new CC production.

A good one for sure!

Cuban cigars have so many telling characteristics including appearance but mainly they have a distinctive earthy sweetness that is unmistakable.
Bill mentioned to me before that Cuba's rich volcanic soil is the only soil that lacks malic acid. From everything I have read, it will add a tartness or bitterness to tobacco and foods it is contained in. I can see why this sweetness is present in Cuban cigars only. I've never noticed this in any NC cigar that I thought was "Cubanesque". Just that they were close. I guess it is kind of like how sweet beer would be without the deliberate addition of hops.

The original Tat Black definitely. I remember the hype was through the roof on those when they came out. Wonder if anyone was able to resist and still has some in a humidor somewhere?
They were so damn good! The ones Pete occasionally gifted prior to there ever being a jar release, along with the foil bundle ones he sent to select vendors in Christmas 2007 as a thank you were the best. They were ugly mottled wrappers, but smoked so incredibly well. Pete told me the wrapper used was really something that should be a filler leaf, but was something Pepin more or less said (In Spanish 😉), "You want a cigar that's close to Cuban!!??!! Hold my beer!"

Last edited:
Never had a Cuban, love try a good one some day. I get put off smoking NC with all the spice! Sticking with AF medium strength until finding something else..I do love espernays though.

Never had a Cuban, love try a good one some day. I get put off smoking NC with all the spice! Sticking with AF medium strength until finding something else..I do love espernays though.
The Epernays are among my favorites.

BTW, Mr. Ranchand, have you posted an intro in the New Members thread (linky)? We'd love to welcome you officially to the forum.

I haven't had any NC that has come close to 90s Cubans. For me Warped La Colmena and Don Reynaldo are "Cubanesque" 2000s. I just ordered a box of Aladino Corojo Reserva and am looking forward to try a Corojo puro to see if it can replicate that 90s Cuban profile. I agree that the Illusione sticks mentioned are also in that category. I would say Aganorsa Corojo and Criollo blends fit that bill.

Fun topic. In my experience Cubans are Cubanesque. I have not had any NC that would consistently have a Cuban profile but it would be delightful to find one.

Fun topic. In my experience Cubans are Cubanesque. I have not had any NC that would consistently have a Cuban profile but it would be delightful to find one.

I like that…CC is the only thing that’s tastes like CC.

Consistency is the big hang up. I feel like any of my Top 5 right now may or may not make the cut anymore…though I do think Illusione is pretty damn close with a number of their blends, especially factoring in age.

I am surprised no one has said CLE/Eiroa…

I haven't had any NC that has come close to 90s Cubans. For me Warped La Colmena and Don Reynaldo are "Cubanesque" 2000s. I just ordered a box of Aladino Corojo Reserva and am looking forward to try a Corojo puro to see if it can replicate that 90s Cuban profile. I agree that the Illusione sticks mentioned are also in that category. I would say Aganorsa Corojo and Criollo blends fit that bill.

90’s CC for those of us who are relatively young to the game are bygones of the past.

Though I have had the honor of partaking in a few, they were 20-30 years old and a completely different experience than more recent CC I have had from the early 2000’s and 20Teens.

I am curious how you enjoy the Aladino Reserva. They make excellent cigars!

90’s CC for those of us who are relatively young to the game are bygones of the past.

Though I have had the honor of partaking in a few, they were 20-30 years old and a completely different experience than more recent CC I have had from the early 2000’s and 20Teens.

I am curious how you enjoy the Aladino Reserva. They make excellent cigars!
I just ordered a box, we shall see. It was recently recommend to me by a BOTL on a VHERF on CPass. I will say it's not the first time it was recommended to me; as I'm a Corojo whore, but I have these mental blocks that prevent me from thinking that Honduran cigars are any good. It's that 90s mentality. We all know that Mexican tobacco has come along way as has Honduran tobacco, so I'm excited to try!