• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Weather

Today was the third time in that last 10 days that my water froze under my crawl space. I live in an old farmhouse and the nimrods who built on to the original house didn't use much common sense.

I got up at 4:30 to see if the water was frozen and it was. I had to bundle up, go out into the -8 degrees and open up the crawl space. I took about 20 towel rags and put them in the dryer and laid them on the pipes. Every 30 minutes I would take a fresh load of hot towels out and cover the pipes. After 4 hours and no luck, I got the heater I use in deer season (1000 BTU propane screws on a 1 pound can), lit it, and put in under the house.

I got water at 12:15!

Today was the third time in that last 10 days that my water froze under my crawl space. I live in an old farmhouse and the nimrods who built on to the original house didn't use much common sense.

I got up at 4:30 to see if the water was frozen and it was. I had to bundle up, go out into the -8 degrees and open up the crawl space. I took about 20 towel rags and put them in the dryer and laid them on the pipes. Every 30 minutes I would take a fresh load of hot towels out and cover the pipes. After 4 hours and no luck, I got the heater I use in deer season (1000 BTU propane screws on a 1 pound can), lit it, and put in under the house.

I’m sure you know this but leave your water trickling in freezing temps. I have a zone of radiant heat in the mud room where our washer and dryer is that I leave running 24/7 in these temps.

Don’t you know a home inspector that could give some ideas on how to prevent that, in the future?

I’m sure you know this but leave your water trickling in freezing temps. I have a zone of radiant heat in the mud room where our washer and dryer is that I leave running 24/7 in these temps.
Yeah, I thought I had it fixed ...... I was wrong! I didn't want to leave hot and cold both dripping all night:rolleyes:

Yeah, I thought I had it fixed ...... I was wrong! I didn't want to leave hot and cold both dripping all night:rolleyes:
Bet you wish you did😬 glad you got it running.

Do some heat trace this summer. Set it up wit a stat to turn on at 30F or so.

Bet you wish you did😬 glad you got it running.

Do some heat trace this summer. Set it up wit a stat to turn on at 30F or so.
👍 That's on the summer agenda. I need one of my skinny grandsons to crawl under there and fix this and the duct work.

Not if you have to crawl under a tiny crawl space that may have God knows what creatures this time of year!
yikes!

We have a heat cable thing that is around a pipe in the kitchen. No crawlspace but there is a overhang that doesn’t have a lot of insulation that is exposed. House came this way. We leave it plugged in year round. Has a thermostat in it that turns it off when not needed. Works well.