• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What’s on the grill/smoker today? 2021

Remember, low and slow, I try to keep it at 250 degrees. Also cook them to at least 165-170, but not a lot more or you’ll dry them out.

I’m excited to hear how it goes!
We’ll, the results are in! EXCELLENT idea and result. The chicken was VERY moist and tender. Skin just slightly tough. Cook time was about an hour @250ish. Took off at 176 internal temp. Let sir under foil while corn and asparagus cooked(15 minutes).
Changes I’d make is to season after skin is removed. Cook at 225 degrees so it’ll take just a bit longer to cook. Truly, if ya like chicken thighs, this is the deal. Thanks Brandon. Pic one is just on the grill with bowl of apple juice. Pic 2 is at completion. Pic 3 is dinner time. Yes, I cut my corn off the cob.
Floyd T

DDD07721-0717-455D-8F2F-9ED26DC547CE.jpeg04F63B0B-7F75-4E49-93C5-74D6028ED0B7.jpeg6F8E2D68-1C92-44CE-8A13-4D90B819D9EC.jpeg

We’ll, the results are in! EXCELLENT idea and result. The chicken was VERY moist and tender. Skin just slightly tough. Cook time was about an hour @250ish. Took off at 176 internal temp. Let sir under foil while corn and asparagus cooked(15 minutes).
Changes I’d make is to season after skin is removed. Cook at 225 degrees so it’ll take just a bit longer to cook. Truly, if ya like chicken thighs, this is the deal. Thanks Brandon. Pic one is just on the grill with bowl of apple juice. Pic 2 is at completion. Pic 3 is dinner time. Yes, I cut my corn off the cob.
Floyd T

View attachment 45420View attachment 45421View attachment 45422

Nice job Floyd, looks good. I totally forgot to say that I remove the skin, that’s on me….damn it. Trial and error, then let us know how the next time goes. I’d be interested in the 225 degrees. I also thought about brining my next batch.

I love chicken thighs. Would be prefect fine never eating another beast, honestly.

For sure, so much more flavor. That and chicken breasts are so hot and miss anymore. I’ve had some really bad ones, that were cooked but were so rubbery, they were nasty.

With respect to thighs and breasts, I like them both. Oh wait, chicken right? 😂

Anyway, I think the big difference in the cook is that a lot of thighs are bone in vs boneless breasts. Though you can get either or of both. I find the bone in to have more flavor and less tendency to dry out. Though lately I’ve had really good luck with boneless thighs on the grill.

The other thing is I think thighs tend to have a bit more fat content which keeps them more moist for longer than the breasts.

I’ve yet to master brisket. I got the pulled pork down, salmon down, even lobster tails and shrimp and veggies. But brisket I just can’t get it right. Last one was decent, probably best I ever did but still not what I’m looking for.

I think it’s a fat content thing, and my inability to pick a good brisket from the butcher.

I’ve yet to master brisket. I got the pulled pork down, salmon down, even lobster tails and shrimp and veggies. But brisket I just can’t get it right. Last one was decent, probably best I ever did but still not what I’m looking for.

I think it’s a fat content thing, and my inability to pick a good brisket from the butcher.
It is definitely trail and error… This one was just over 12lbs I cooked it at 230 for 13 hours and pulled it at 195, wrapped it in butchers paper and a towel and then let it rest for an hour in a cooler. Pulled it out and cut and served… It was perfect

It really depends on how much time I want to invest, LOL. This time I took the chicken out of the package and patted it dry. Seasoned them up, put them on a baking cooling rack which was on a cookie sheet (ones with the raised sides) and put them back in the fridge until I was ready to smoke them. They turned out great. I probably could have smoked them to a little higher temp, but was in a hurry. I have picky meat eaters and they really like the smoked thighs.

Let us know how it goes Floyd.
Nothing quite like smoking thighs 😜

Nothing quite like smoking thighs 😜

in late 1987 to early 1988 I was employed at the Baylor Medical complex in east Dallas.
Across the intersection at the northeast corner of Gaston & Washington there was Dale's BBQ.
They had a daily lunch special that I loved; 1/2 smoked chicken, a baked potato, and a slice of Texas Toast, all for $2.99. o_O
Dale had a 'walk in' smoker & Dale stated he smoked his chickens for an average 18 hours. 🤔
From that experience I then started smoking leg quarters; leg quarters are inexpensive, and for smoked chicken the flavor can't be beat.
Smoked chicken thighs are the stealth smoked meat of all time, IMHO.