• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What’s on the grill/smoker today? 2021

Ok that looks good!

I was in Ohio with a buddy this past weekend and we stopped at a “Smokey bones” bbq. Never been before, probably won’t go back lol. His ribs didn’t look nearly as nice as these!

At $25 for a 1/3 rack of ribs….I guess I had bigger expectations lol. He said they were good. I can’t spend that much on a third of a rack. It was all I could do to spend $15 on 8 “jumbo” wings. Since when did “jumbo”denote regular size? If they had regular size wings they would have had to pull them off a sparrow or something lol.

7.65lb pork butt for Siblings Thanksgiving tonight. Two of the probes you see in the butt don’t seem to work properly so that’s why you see 3 of them. Does that ever happen to y’all? Do those probes wear out or did I just get a few bad ones?
59C05451-33E8-4C7F-991F-0AF76795B723.jpegCEB6D7D5-188C-4BA7-8674-4272F31455EE.jpeg90360337-BAE9-4456-B114-2A981BA6076C.jpegAF2908B4-D362-442C-8318-722FAA7AE8BF.jpeg

7.65lb pork butt for Siblings Thanksgiving tonight. Two of the probes you see in the butt don’t seem to work properly so that’s why you see 3 of them. Does that ever happen to y’all? Do those probes wear out or did I just get a few bad ones?
3 probes in the ass does seem excessive. They can go bad for sure, it depends on how you clean them once they are done and how you care of them. My wife ran one through the dishwasher. That one stopped working.

3 probes in the ass does seem excessive. They can go bad for sure, it depends on how you clean them once they are done and how you care of them. My wife ran one through the dishwasher. That one stopped working.
Two of the probes were reading temps of over 500 so I’m wondering if I damaged the wire/cable when I was storing them after my last smoke.

Two of the probes were reading temps of over 500 so I’m wondering if I damaged the wire/cable when I was storing them after my last smoke.

Those cables are pretty sensitive and if they get kinked or bent in any way, they'll read crazy numbers. I had one do the exact same thing and made it beep every time I plugged it in to the unit.

Those cables are pretty sensitive and if they get kinked or bent in any way, they'll read crazy numbers. I had one do the exact same thing and made it beep every time I plugged it in to the unit.
Well that explains it then. Both have a nasty kink in them. I will need to be more aware of how I store those cables now. Thanks.

That issue with the probes is likely due to cleaning them. Every probe I have, has a terrible seal where the wire passes through into the metal. I think the all do because you can’t get a good crimp there without messing up the wire. And for whatever reason they cheap out in that spot with a Teflon sleeve (I think) around the wire in the crimp area.

End result is you get water down in there eventually no matter how well you take care of them, which messes up the connection inside and makes the temp go all over.

I specifically clean mine in such a way so that water doesn’t get inside and they still break after awhile.

If they aren’t that bad off I sometimes use them to measure temp inside the smoker, but you have to test them out and mark them with how far off they are. So really just better to get new ones so you don’t make a mistake.