• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What are you brewing?

I'm rockin' around with my little Mr. Beer kit (yeah yeah laugh all you want)! I just finished bottling an Irish Stout/Brown Ale, and started brewing an American Devil IPA and a Sticky Wicket Oatmeal Stout with some molasses in it. That was at the suggestion of Q_the_Cop, and he says it's working for him.

It shouldnt start carbonating or anything right? If I brewed it with molasses in the wort already, am I going to be waiting longer for it to finish fermenting??

It won't start carbonating until it's in something that is holding the CO2 in. It might take a little bit longer with the molasses, but probably not. Do you have a hydrometer?

A huge RIS...13ish% ABV will be aged in a bourbon barrel with vanilla and coffe.

Pics here: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2313817&id=11316157

Oh, and what we drank during the making of said stout:
Boulevard Saison-Brett, Russian River Temptation, Great Divide Wet hop, Captain Lawrence Flaming Fury, Founders Harvest ale, My Double IPA, Ølfabrikken Porter, Ken Schmidt / Maui / Stone Kona Coffee Macadamia Coconut Porter, Bell's Java Stout, Surly Darkness, Goose Island Bourbon County stout, Surly Furious, Surly Coffee Bender, and a night cap of Cave Creek Chili beer!

I'm rockin' around with my little Mr. Beer kit (yeah yeah laugh all you want)! I just finished bottling an Irish Stout/Brown Ale, and started brewing an American Devil IPA and a Sticky Wicket Oatmeal Stout with some molasses in it. That was at the suggestion of Q_the_Cop, and he says it's working for him.

It shouldnt start carbonating or anything right? If I brewed it with molasses in the wort already, am I going to be waiting longer for it to finish fermenting??

It won't start carbonating until it's in something that is holding the CO2 in. It might take a little bit longer with the molasses, but probably not. Do you have a hydrometer?

No Justin, but I wouldn't know where to stick it in my little Mr. Beer keg...

A huge RIS...13ish% ABV will be aged in a bourbon barrel with vanilla and coffe.

Pics here: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2313817&id=11316157

Oh, and what we drank during the making of said stout:
Boulevard Saison-Brett, Russian River Temptation, Great Divide Wet hop, Captain Lawrence Flaming Fury, Founders Harvest ale, My Double IPA, Ølfabrikken Porter, Ken Schmidt / Maui / Stone Kona Coffee Macadamia Coconut Porter, Bell's Java Stout, Surly Darkness, Goose Island Bourbon County stout, Surly Furious, Surly Coffee Bender, and a night cap of Cave Creek Chili beer!

Where'd you get the barrel again?

No Justin, but I wouldn't know where to stick it in my little Mr. Beer keg...

Haha, you'd just pull a sample out into your test jar/hydrometer case.

Here are some photos of my current brews. My bottles are carbonating:
IMG00043-20091109-2014.jpg

And here is my Oatmeal Stout I'm brewing. It's been 24 hours and the bubbles are going crazy inside there, but it smells sickly sweet... I hope all is well:
IMG00040-20091109-2013.jpg

Here is my IPA. Lots of floaties in there, as the process does it's thing:
IMG00041-20091109-2014.jpg

I also found a homebrewing shop here in my town, so it is only a matter of time before I get to Alan's level! :D

Here are some photos of my current brews. My bottles are carbonating:
IMG00043-20091109-2014.jpg

And here is my Oatmeal Stout I'm brewing. It's been 24 hours and the bubbles are going crazy inside there, but it smells sickly sweet... I hope all is well:
IMG00040-20091109-2013.jpg

Here is my IPA. Lots of floaties in there, as the process does it's thing:
IMG00041-20091109-2014.jpg

I also found a homebrewing shop here in my town, so it is only a matter of time before I get to Alan's level! :D

You should set your goals much higher, Jonny.

Well gents, I just bought a Mr. Beer last week and have my first batch going. I will be bottling next week sometime. I think I will be upgrading fast. At William's Brew they have a kit with Wort Chiller and a pot(Forgot the size) for around $200. I think this is a pretty good deal.

What do you think?

Well gents, I just bought a Mr. Beer last week and have my first batch going. I will be bottling next week sometime. I think I will be upgrading fast. At William's Brew they have a kit with Wort Chiller and a pot(Forgot the size) for around $200. I think this is a pretty good deal.

What do you think?
The Williams kit looks pretty good to me!
I'll be kegging three beers this weekend, a Bitter, a Porter and a brew from a book called " Old British Beers and How To Make Them", the recipe is from 1880, should be real good, then I have to lager a Helles and have that ready for the family at Xmas.
Cheers

Well I went to the Home Brew store and they told me that I should go ahead and bottle my first batch. That was a hell of a process. I did not know that I need to put my hops in a grain (steep) bag, so I have some hops leaves floating in the bottled beer. I guess you learn something with every brew!!! I hope I can at least enjoy a couple of brews. I will be brewing another batch on Sat, then will be buying the kit from William's.

Well I went to the Home Brew store and they told me that I should go ahead and bottle my first batch. That was a hell of a process. I did not know that I need to put my hops in a grain (steep) bag, so I have some hops leaves floating in the bottled beer. I guess you learn something with every brew!!! I hope I can at least enjoy a couple of brews. I will be brewing another batch on Sat, then will be buying the kit from William's.

Not sure how you get the wort into and out of a Mr. Beer, but I pour mine through a sanitized sieve on it's way into the fermenter which serves two purposes:

1) it gets all the hops chunks out
2) it helps aerate it

You can also put a nylon paint strainer on the end of your racking cane to filter out the hops.

I will do that next time.

Will it be ok if after week 1 in the Mr. Beer, I add the rest of my hops in a muslin bag and leave them until I bottle?

So I cheated, and cracked open my first homebrew after 3 weeks fermenting, one week carbonating, and one day conditioning. I just had to try it, and holy moly is it GOOD! I'm very happy with it. :thumbs:

It was the St. Patrick's Irish Stout with Creamy Brown recipe, and lord is it good. Very smooth flavor, malty, and I can taste the nuttiness flavor. It is a bit carbonated for a stout, but its just the right way that I like it. I used molasses instead of corn sugar in this half of the batch, and have yet to taste the other half made with corn sugar. Either way, I feel pretty accomplished and I think I finally "get it."

Slainte!

IMG00064-20091118-0209.jpg

Sounds good, Jon. My first doesn't taste all that great (it's not bad, just not all that good), so I'm really looking forward to my stout.

Congratulations on a successful first brew! :thumbs:

I'll be doing my first double decoction brew this weekend. I'm sure I'll screw it up somehow lol

I'll be doing my first double decoction brew this weekend. I'm sure I'll screw it up somehow lol

What style are you brewing?

I've been doing a bunch of cereal mashes (Cantillon style) lately since I got about 100# of free raw wheat from a guy.

I just can't believe no one commented on Johnathan's gay beer mug.