• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What Beer Did You Drink Today (2018)

Since the hazy IPA craze hit after I quit drinking, what is the draw? I'm assuming mouth feel? My BJCP brain will always see it as a flaw I think, even though I know it's obviously intentional.

Since the hazy IPA craze hit after I quit drinking, what is the draw? I'm assuming mouth feel? My BJCP brain will always see it as a flaw I think, even though I know it's obviously intentional.

Actually it is now an accepted style/category in competitions. I think it was just last year that it was added.

In any case, the draw is indeed mouth feel...very soft and lush, but also its how the hops are used. Traditional IPA style focuses on the bitterness of the hops whereas NE IPAs utilize the hops differently. There are a ton of late addition hops (if even during the boil at all) and tons of dry hopping in order to get less of the bitterness and more of the citrusy and other flavor nuances. Many recipes for NEIPA you wont see any hops added until 5 or 10 min remaining in the boil, or even just in whirlpool.

Actually it is now an accepted style/category in competitions. I think it was just last year that it was added.

In any case, the draw is indeed mouth feel...very soft and lush, but also its how the hops are used. Traditional IPA style focuses on the bitterness of the hops whereas NE IPAs utilize the hops differently. There are a ton of late addition hops (if even during the boil at all) and tons of dry hopping in order to get less of the bitterness and more of the citrusy and other flavor nuances. Many recipes for NEIPA you wont see any hops added until 5 or 10 min remaining in the boil, or even just in whirlpool.
Sounds delicious! Assuming oats aplenty in most of them?

Man I miss brewing...