• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What beer did you drink today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
90 Minute IPA served off the Randall :love: :love:

What was in the Randall? Looks like hops but people are putting all sorts of stuff in this thing. A local bar had an Imperial Porter through chocolate and marshmallow peeps over Easter. I didn't have it but heard it was really sweet.

So much Dogfish last night at a tasting dinner.

Shelter Pale - their first beer. They said they don't brew it anymore, and they did this batch old school style in a pot over a burner for the dinner
Chateau Jiahu - based on a 9000 year old recipe. Little too sweet for me, but the others at the table loved it.
Pangaea - brewed with ingredients from all 7 continents. I loved this.
Chicory Stout - completely different animal from the tap. This was for dessert, paired with some cookies.

And the whole reason I went to the dinner:

6quwm1.jpg

90 Minute IPA served off the Randall :love: :love:

One of my buddies built himself a Randall for his homebrew kegerator. I'm gonna give his a couple test runs and decide if it's worth building one myself.

Very nice! (Borat voice) That is totally cool. How would you describe it being different from the bottle? Creamier?

Much less carbonation than the bottle. Definitely hoppier. Not sure how to describe it... not creamier... close, though. It's almost like you can taste the fact that the... hop oil (?) is present from the re-hopping... but I don't want to say "oily" because that just sounds bad.

What was in the Randall? Looks like hops but people are putting all sorts of stuff in this thing.

I'm pretty sure it was just hops. I've already been yelled at by Robbie for not asking what kind of hops, but it's like a kid seeing Santa land on the roof, and asking him how the sled flies.

One of my buddies built himself a Randall for his homebrew kegerator. I'm gonna give his a couple test runs and decide if it's worth building one myself.

I would think the best way to test if it's worth it would be to put something you don't find in the beer you're running through it. A completely different taste, so you can see just how much it shines through. Yeah, with the 90 I could taste that it was hoppier, but the 90 is pretty hoppy to begin with. I think it would have been interesting to see what something completely different would have done to the beer.

Forgive my ignorance, but isn't this akin to infusing a cigar? Not that there is anything wrong with that, but shouldn't the beer be good on it's own rather than adding or intensifying flavors?

Forgive my ignorance, but isn't this akin to infusing a cigar? Not that there is anything wrong with that, but shouldn't the beer be good on it's own rather than adding or intensifying flavors?

So you're all for the Reinheitsgebot (German purity law)? This is a new fad for bars to use to get customers in with interesting combinations. I wouldn't mind trying some like a coffee infused stout or porter. I wouldn't say this is much different from a brewer brewing with chocolate, pumpkin, or coffee.

So you're all for the Reinheitsgebot (German purity law)? This is a new fad for bars to use to get customers in with interesting combinations. I wouldn't mind trying some like a coffee infused stout or porter. I wouldn't say this is much different from a brewer brewing with chocolate, pumpkin, or coffee.

I think the difference is that it CAN make good beer even better, whereas flavored cigars start off shitty and they try to hide that fact, not enhance it.

Hops start to fade the instant a beer start fermenting, and a Randall is a way to infuse it with fresh hop flavor.

[ I wouldn't mind trying some like a coffee infused stout or porter.

This is the first thing I thought of. Crack a few beans, attach a filter (although, I would think there would have to be one in the first place) and see how the coffee comes through.

Sam Adams Chocolate Bock. I picked up a Winter sampler and was ecstatic to find out the Cranberry Lambic has been replaced by this brew.

Doc.

I just bought a bottle of Brooklyn Black Ops. It's nothing like the game though. This one by Brooklyn goes down much smoother :thumbs:
Is that this years batch?

WOW. Mike, as far as I know it hasn't released yet so this must be last years. Surprising to still see bottles on the shelf.

I wouldn't know, I tossed the bottle in the trash already. I'm assuming it's last year's release

Sam Adams Chocolate Bock. I picked up a Winter sampler and was ecstatic to find out the Cranberry Lambic has been replaced by this brew.

Doc.

The Chocolate Bock is astounding. Love the finish. Had one of these on Sunday. Looking forward to another.

Doc.

They have that in 12 oz bottles now? Any idea if it's just the sampler release?

According to the box it's just available in the sampler as are all but two of the brews, Winter lager and Boston Lager.

Doc.

Status
Not open for further replies.