• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What coffee did you drink today?

Great info gentlemen. You guys take your coffee way more seriously than I do. I make a yeti-full twice a week to take to work with me, and randomly maybe an extra cup for the fun of it. I'm not the kind of person that ever drinks something such as coffee or pop looking for a boost in energy, it's just for something tasty to drink, and I could drink a full cup and go right to sleep no problem. Maybe in the future as I try some more exotic stuff for fun and find something that's noticeably better to my liking, I can go from there and get into grinding my own and having a little more fun with it.

There's a local roaster a few cities over from me that has an ethiopian yirgacheffe that i'll have to order up once my current stock runs out.

FWIW, Mark Prince at coffeegeek just released a long review of the Baratza Encore ESP. https://www.coffeegeek.com/reviews/baratza-encore-esp-grinder/ Mark's reviews are generally positive; one has to "read between the lines" for the negatives, but everything is there if you read critically. The coffeegeek site itself was, in my opinion, neglected for a number of years. It has come back in the past year or so, and now has regular updates.

Today's coffee is a "test roast" from Tim Wendelboe in Oslo, Norway. https://timwendelboe.no Tim is one of the best light roasters in Europe. His "test roasts" are either roasts that failed quality control, or were coffees that he decided not to carry, or coffees that he hasn't yet determined how he will roast. For shipping to North America, it works out to order two bags of coffee plus a kilogram of "test roast." I've never been disappointed ordering from him over the years - but he does roast lighter than almost all American roasters so his coffee is a bit of an acquired taste.

I'm glad to hear that CoffeeGeek is back and active again. I had stopped checking after they stopped updating regularly.

Otherwise, I subscribe to James Hoffmann on Youtube and have coffee people pop up when I am scrolling around TikTok.

And thanks for the insghts on your previous post - I have a couple of Fellows mugs, and will definitely have a grinder on my short list to investigate if my Rocky dies. 👍

Rocky grinders are built like tanks and never die - they just need new burrs and a fresh wrap of Teflon tape every few years :).

James Hoffmann I've followed for years, since he was on Vimeo.

I do follow a lot of coffee YouTubers - for pourover and other non-espresso methods I think Asser is about the best: https://www.youtube.com/@coffeechronicler

An up-and-comer is Lance Hedrick. His last video on the MUMAC museum is I think his best to date:

I’m looking for espresso recommendations. Go.
It depends ... mostly on what you like, and how much you want to spend - just like cigars :) - although unlike cigars, it also depends to a lessor extent on what equipment/experience that you have. There is such a broad variety of equipment on the market these days that pretty much any coffee can be pulled as espresso, depending on the equipment. (This is not a judgement, but a question of matching.) I'm happy to make recommendations.

I really believe that good coffee is wasted on me. I'm (usually) an instant coffee drinker.

A friend convinced me to get a coffee maker and some PEETS coffee. It's nice. Sure beats that Instant coffee I've been drinking. Of course, I got the adapter so that I can use regular ground coffee.

Kuerig.jpg
Peets.jpg

Here's one for people who want coffee that doesn't taste like "real coffee." (This is not a judgement, just that if, say, Peet's Major Dickason's Blend is deli-sliced roast beef, then this is steak tartare with raw egg yolk on top.)

Wilton Benitez has become quite a coffee celebrity in the past few years by using novel processing methods that make the raw coffee more desirable for specialty coffee roasters, enabling farmers around him to earn around 5x the income they used to get selling to companies like Starbucks, Nestle, etc. Granja Paraiso '92 is pretty much a test farm where he tries out new processing techniques. This kind of stuff normally isn't my, ah, cup of tea, but I broke my ceramic Origami dripper and ordered the new plastic version from Rogue Wave, and Ply (2020 Canadian Brewer's Cup Champion) of Rogue Wave was big on this coffee, especially at the relatively low price for a Wilton Benitez coffee of about $17USD/bag. I'll try this bag at Christmas.
1000002847-01.jpeg