• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What do you guys use to maintain inventory

Cigars by their nature are supposed to be relaxing. Keeping a strict inventory contradicts that IMHO.

Jason

I've been using cigar boss lately. No negativity toward the ap, it's great. However I agree inventory is not fun for me ( however small it may be).
As long as there's smokes in the humi, that'll do.

Some of you guys are hardcore with your inventory. :)

I thought about creating an inventory years ago, but then decided it's just another thing to manage and keep track of. I smoke what I have, and if I run out of a particular blend, I buy more. Easier that way. :)

This may be slightly off topic, but keeping an inventory may be benefitial for insurance purposes. I know many of you have substancial collections and incase of a fire or theft it helps to have some sort of documentation to prove your loss. In most cases, if you simply video tape your collection and narate what the camera is seeing, that will be sufficient. Keep the file/tape somewhere safe. Just food for thought because you never know.

This is exactly right. I have over 1,000 sticks and the collection is constantly growing and evolving. So to have a true inventory is good. Plus, it doesn't take but a second to open the app while I am smoking and edit a file. Great to keep notes about what I thought or liked/didn't like about a particular smoke.

I thought about creating an inventory years ago, but then decided it's just another thing to manage and keep track of. I smoke what I have, and if I run out of a particular blend, I buy more. Easier that way. :)

This may be slightly off topic, but keeping an inventory may be benefitial for insurance purposes. I know many of you have substancial collections and incase of a fire or theft it helps to have some sort of documentation to prove your loss. In most cases, if you simply video tape your collection and narate what the camera is seeing, that will be sufficient. Keep the file/tape somewhere safe. Just food for thought because you never know.

I'm sure Insurance won't cover the majority of my stock! I for one wouldn't volunteer any info on what I have to anyone.

I've tried a few different methods of keeping an inventory...I started with an Excel spreadsheet, then tried a couple different iPhone apps, went back to the spreadsheet, and now I'm using Stogie Rate. So far, it's the first program that I found you can import/export data back and forth between the desktop version and the iPhone app relatively easily. I found the most annoying thing between all the different methods of keeping track of inventory was creating somewhat of a standard in naming conventions. So now, I'm in the process of moving everything from my spreadsheet over to Stogie Rate, and so far so good. I'm checking out Pipe Smoker Unleashed for pipe tobaccos, pipes, etc. I like keeping tabs on my inventory mainly to see where things came from, how old they are, how much they cost. Makes it easy to see how much you paid for a particular stick between different sources, etc...

For some reason inventorying your cigars for insurance reasons brings this song to mind:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoBmCl-q_54&feature=related

Thats great! In case I ever get any crazy ideas I can just listen to that song and it'll set me straight again.

I use Excel spreadsheet, but after I got enough cigars, I just use bands to mark where I got them from, lord knows what I have or how much of it, but I know where I got it!

I pretty much do a quick look to see what I have as well. With just one Vino, it's easy to open the drawers and take a peek.
HOWEVER - I do keep a strict log of my purchases... I bought a book of 'receipts' at the local CVS and fill them out myself with
the date of purchase, from who, where, what, and how much. I then break it down by dividing the total price by the number of sticks
to get my 'price per stick'. This way there is no confusion when I go to do a sell (which has yet to happen, but at least I am prepared
to offer a 'fair' price based on my notes.) I then tape the individual receipts to my "Cigar" notebook where I also write to the side of
the receipt, a little information on the cigars I purchased. Just helps me keep track more on how much/what Im spending my $ on.

Here is a brief pic of my notebook. . .
gallery_13416_1487_58210.jpg

DUDE! I wish I had that kind of patience to do what your doing there...

Not when the stock is not really there! ;)

Will insurance cover my stock from a series of very small fires over the course of 6 months? I may have a claim here.

Yeah but then your insurances will probably raise an arson, well a few small arsons concerns :)

You know, I"ve never kept an inventory. I just buy when it looks like I'm gonna run out.