• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What's on your plate today?

Dang John, don't you ever eat something normal, like a P/B&J? How many do you have to eat to get comfy?
Lol! I’ve never filled up on just the raw ones. Mixed in some oyster po boy sliders and coleslaw to finish the night. Still have quite a few to go. Might fire up the grill tonight.

All I see is “allergy season boogers”! Just sayin!

Floyd T
Damn good Floyd! Little lemon juice and hot, or cocktail sauce. Goes good with that briney/earthy taste.

That time of year!! Tangier Island Chesapeake Bay oysters. The best I’ve had other than the ones I had in France.
View attachment 63909
I bet those were delicious. I have never had any from France but I hear they are amazing. Have you ever had Raspberry Point Oysters? Had them once on an East Coast trip and they were delicious.

I bet those were delicious. I have never had any from France but I hear they are amazing. Have you ever had Raspberry Point Oysters? Had them once on an East Coast trip and they were delicious.
I’ve heard of them, but have never eaten one. I would describe the French ones the way people talk about Raspberry Point…. Very clean on the finish. Not a fan of some oysters near some coastal drainage areas. They often taste what you imagine swampy bottom muck smells like on the finish. Tangier & Smith Island oysters seem to be insulated and protected from agriculture pollution, etc. since they are out in the middle of the Chesapeake Bay.
E3895718-1825-45C5-8BF8-99C8B430CDC7.jpeg

Sheet pan supper: chicken pesto sausage, Brussel sprouts, delicata squash, onions and peppers. Topped with roasted pomegranate seeds. Mrs_Nihon wasn't too excited about the pomegranate seeds until I told her that @jfields recommended it! The slight acidic component of the seeds were a great addition to the dish.2022-12-23 19.35.21.jpg

Home made vegetable fried rice, home made cheese ( cream cheese, cheddar cheese, onion, green pepper, red pepper, pimento, worchestire ), forest pineapple, special crackers, Santa napkins, a great Christmas Eve dinner 2022.

555C5939-CDF1-42E9-8BAF-68E73A6A4C66.jpeg

Sheet pan supper: chicken pesto sausage, Brussel sprouts, delicata squash, onions and peppers. Topped with roasted pomegranate seeds. Mrs_Nihon wasn't too excited about the pomegranate seeds until I told her that @jfields recommended it! The slight acidic component of the seeds were a great addition to the dish.View attachment 64047
Lol! I don’t believe you, but I love the sweet/acidic possibilities of Pom seeds.

Christmas dinner started four days ago, when I cut the rib roast off the bone, tied it, salted it generously, and left it uncovered in the fridge to dry.

2022-12-22 07.06.39.jpg

This afternoon, I removed it from the fridge, and the salt had done it's mysterious work.

2022-12-25 15.12.46.jpg

I made a fresh herb rub, and applied it to the roast before putting it into the smoker.

2022-12-25 15.30.22.jpg

After a couple of hours in the smoker at 225, I pulled it out at just above 100 internal temp. I finished it in the oven at 500 to reach an internal temp of 120. I took it out, applied another helping of herbs and rested it for about 30 mins.

2022-12-25 19.03.42.jpg

When I finally sliced it open, Mrs_Nihon decided to keep me around for another year. She loves a rare steak, whereas I'm more of a medium-rare kind of guy. Based on the color, I estimated the internal temp to have risen to 130, which is a perfect rare to her.

While the roast was cooking I made an au jus, roasted some carrots to make an arugula carrot salad and made a horseradish cream sauce.

2022-12-25 19.14.20.jpg

Although I found recipies for all these components, my favorite part of the meal was the horseradish cream sauce. I've been watching videos on YouTube by Chef Jean Pierre who had a short video on horseradish sauce. He walked through how to make it without any measurements, and suggested we taste it and adjust to what we taste. I loved that exercise!

The meal was completed by the addition of Mrs_Nihon's Hasselback potatoes and some rosemary sourdough bread. The smokiness of the beef was a wonderful combination. I've smoked a lot of pork, but this was my first beef rib.

2022-12-25 19.14.30.jpg

For dessert, I made a wine poached pear early this morning, that I've often heard about but I had never tried it until today. It was a very simple process of boiling wine with spices, peeling pears, adding them to the poaching liquid, then putting everything in the fridge for the rest of the day. I served it with a bit of the poaching syrup, slices of tangerines, a quenelle of ice cream, and a half pizzelle.

2022-12-25 21.34.18.jpg

The dish was a perfect end to a nice meal with my best girl.

2022-12-25 21.35.21.jpg

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night!

My Yule feast was a lot . . . simpler. 😂

But good: pepper crusted ham, my signature scalloped potatoes & a deluxe version of green bean casserole.

322082294_1216027192460790_6622154218439287992_n.jpg

I'm on my first week of Ozempic, so portions are very small now. I was full on just that, but managed a second helping of the potatoes. I only make them once a year, after all!

~Boar