• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What's on your plate today?

Donella and I took the drive together to go visit Charleigh in her college town of Richmond Virginia. We made reservations a week in advance for the number one rated restaurant in Virginia's capital city. I can see why. It's a Greek restaurant and everything from the Greek style Calamari, the roasted beets with lemon Tzatziki, lamb shanks, fish with, and drinks were excellent! The sauce for the lamb was a completely different take that had so much going on flavor wise.

D2B14F2B-532E-4823-AF81-F55CF0AA3935.jpeg0366113A-30FA-4059-8697-FA859903DBCF.jpegFC4025F7-B9E3-42D8-95FE-3ECA9BA3E909.jpeg

If you can't go to the St Patrick's Day party, you make one yourself.

I found this method for making sausage gravy and it has become the best yet.

Brown a pound of sausage in a large cast iron skillet:

20230317_095131.jpg
Add a quarter cup of flour and continue to Brown for 2 minutes. The flour will stick to the bottom of the pan. Don't worry, it will all come up easily.
20230317_095450.jpg
Start adding milk one cup at a time while continuously stirring, gently scraping the bottom with a square wooden spoon:
20230317_095548.jpg

I added some crushed red pepper for tasteless Heat and a little bit of cinnamon for flavor:
20230317_095935.jpg
Some bacon flavored hot sauce:
20230317_100645.jpg

And a double New England IPA to top it off:
20230317_100733.jpg

If you can't go to the St Patrick's Day party, you make one yourself.

I found this method for making sausage gravy and it has become the best yet.

Brown a pound of sausage in a large cast iron skillet:

View attachment 66336
Add a quarter cup of flour and continue to Brown for 2 minutes. The flour will stick to the bottom of the pan. Don't worry, it will all come up easily.
View attachment 66337
Start adding milk one cup at a time while continuously stirring, gently scraping the bottom with a square wooden spoon:
View attachment 66338

I added some crushed red pepper for tasteless Heat and a little bit of cinnamon for flavor:
View attachment 66339
Some bacon flavored hot sauce:
View attachment 66340

And a double New England IPA to top it off:
View attachment 66341
That looks delicious!!!

Corned beef boiled in stout ....... yummmm!
View attachment 66352

View attachment 66353
After eating about half of this, I took the remainder and rubbed it with brown sugar, yellow mustard, banana pepper sauce, and put it on a 200 degree smoker for 20 minutes. I then moved it to direct heat for a couple minutes on each side to caramelize everything.

A little drier but interesting! Kinda like candied corned beef/burnt ends.

I've been traveling for the past few weeks, and I binged a bunch of cooking shows while I was gone, so when I got home I decided to make something nice for the wifey. At the airport I saw a ten minute video on how to make a chicken ballotine, and after a quick trip to the grocery store I decided it would me tonight's menu. It took more than ten minutes, but Mrs_Nihon was happy with the results. Chicken ballotine with mushroom puree. It's a whole chicken, that you debone and wrap in the skin after pounding the breast meat thin and making mousse out of the dark meat. It was more complicated than I anticipated, but I'm glad I did it. I have ideas for how to do better next time!2023-03-30 20.19.40.jpg

I've been traveling for the past few weeks, and I binged a bunch of cooking shows while I was gone, so when I got home I decided to make something nice for the wifey. At the airport I saw a ten minute video on how to make a chicken ballotine, and after a quick trip to the grocery store I decided it would me tonight's menu. It took more than ten minutes, but Mrs_Nihon was happy with the results. Chicken ballotine with mushroom puree. It's a whole chicken, that you debone and wrap in the skin after pounding the breast meat thin and making mousse out of the dark meat. It was more complicated than I anticipated, but I'm glad I did it. I have ideas for how to do better next time!View attachment 66845
Yum! It the mousse what is under the main course?