• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What's on your plate today?

I've been traveling for the past few weeks, and I binged a bunch of cooking shows while I was gone, so when I got home I decided to make something nice for the wifey. At the airport I saw a ten minute video on how to make a chicken ballotine, and after a quick trip to the grocery store I decided it would me tonight's menu. It took more than ten minutes, but Mrs_Nihon was happy with the results. Chicken ballotine with mushroom puree. It's a whole chicken, that you debone and wrap in the skin after pounding the breast meat thin and making mousse out of the dark meat. It was more complicated than I anticipated, but I'm glad I did it. I have ideas for how to do better next time!View attachment 66845
Rob, I feel bad that I spent a day with you and never knew what you were capable of as far as culinary skills! I would probably have picked your brain a little.:cool:

Yum! It the mousse what is under the main course?
No, the mousse is in the middle of the ballotine. I didn't get the breast thin enough, so there wasn't much room for it. I'll do better next time! Under the chicken is the mushroom cream.

Here's the recipe. I skipped the parsley oil. He makes a stock from the bones but doesn't use it in the dish, so I turned it into natural gravy.

Last edited:
Getting home at 8 pm and thawing a frozen steak in warm water to throw a dinner together. Turned out damn nice! Cast iron pan fried ribeye steak, mixed vegetables, and wild/cheesy rice with spinach. Love it when a thrown together dinner turns out awesome!
C072BE1E-B9C9-421D-AC1D-4E7710ACB641.jpeg

Chicken mousse with veggies. I didn't know what to do with the leftover chicken & mushroom farce I made for the chicken ballotine a few nights ago, and since it was no longer a stuffing it couldn't be a farce anymore. I wrapped the remaining mousse (which is what the farce really was) in cling wrap in the form of a sausage, and boiled it for about 12 minutes, then sauteed it in butter for a few minutes to brown it. While it was boiling, I sauteed mushrooms, added zucchini "pasta" to it, then tossed in steamed asparagus. No recipe, just thinking about flavors and tasting as I went. I was pretty happy with the end product. Not your mamma's leftovers!

2023-04-03 20.29.44.jpg

Made Chicken Marsala last Saturday. This was my 3rd time trying this and was by far the best yet. Both other times I didn't have enough gravy and the1st time the chicken was over cooked. I doubled up on the liquids this time and it made plenty of gravy. I also turned up the heat to sear the beasts so they were not anywhere near done when they went into the masala gravy.
Marsela 3.jpgMarsela 2.jpg

Made Chicken Marsala last Saturday. This was my 3rd time trying this and was by far the best yet. Both other times I didn't have enough gravy and the1st time the chicken was over cooked. I doubled up on the liquids this time and it made plenty of gravy. I also turned up the heat to sear the beasts so they were not anywhere near done when they went into the masala gravy.
View attachment 67163View attachment 67164
That looks great!

View attachment 67163View attachment 67164
Do your recipe call for cooking sherry along with the Marsala wine?

If not, I'd like to see your recipe Tom.