• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What's on your plate today?

Me either! I love the way you think Boar!
How's the weight? I know you struggle like me and put on 10 pounds as your punishment just for looking at a picture of a piece of cake, or a mixed drink. lol

I've lost about 40 lbs since starting on the Ozempic. It's slow going but it's the first time in years the scale has moved consistently in the OTHER direction so I'm pretty happy about it.

~Boar

I bought a whole salmon fillet this week, so I'm back with another salmon dish from Jean Pierre. "Hello there friends!" Salmon Papillote with Leeks & Shallots Fondue with a side of fresh golden tomatoes from our favorite farmers market.

My wife reminded me that I've made a papillote a few times before. Apparently, I burned the first one, the second one showed some improvement, but this one was daaaa-lish! I thought it could have done with a minute or two less cooking. I added two mins to the cook time because I cut larger pieces of salmon than JP did, but they were a solid medium when I pulled them out, and I generally like salmon a bit more medium rare. I watched the video a few days ago and cooked from memory, but the potatoes on the bottom needed salt and pepper that I omitted. I struggle with seasoning -- when I was a kid, we had exotic spices in my house, called salt and pepper, and I have a hard time remembering to use them. Not blaming my mom, I just struggle. I'm getting better, but I need more practice. (In case anyone is hungry.)

2023-09-28 19.52.15.jpg

2023-09-28 20.22.54.jpg

I struggle with seasoning -- when I was a kid, we had exotic spices in my house, called salt and pepper, and I have a hard time remembering to use them. Not blaming my mom, I just struggle. I'm getting better, but I need more practice.

Looks great! My wife is the same way. Growing up, her Mom (from Upper Michigan) wasn't much on seasoning, still isn't. I on the other hand have no problem with seasoning when cooking, especially pepper even though my Mom could burn water growing up 😂

I bought a whole salmon fillet this week, so I'm back with another salmon dish from Jean Pierre. "Hello there friends!" Salmon Papillote with Leeks & Shallots Fondue with a side of fresh golden tomatoes from our favorite farmers market.

My wife reminded me that I've made a papillote a few times before. Apparently, I burned the first one, the second one showed some improvement, but this one was daaaa-lish! I thought it could have done with a minute or two less cooking. I added two mins to the cook time because I cut larger pieces of salmon than JP did, but they were a solid medium when I pulled them out, and I generally like salmon a bit more medium rare. I watched the video a few days ago and cooked from memory, but the potatoes on the bottom needed salt and pepper that I omitted. I struggle with seasoning -- when I was a kid, we had exotic spices in my house, called salt and pepper, and I have a hard time remembering to use them. Not blaming my mom, I just struggle. I'm getting better, but I need more practice. (In case anyone is hungry.)

View attachment 73118

View attachment 73119
Is that farm raised salmon out of curiosity? Looks like it.

Fat fuck Friday food. 🙂

Nothing fancy today - Fried chicken with bacon wrapped jalapeños stuffed with mozzarella and Monterrey Jack cheese.
IMG_8980.jpeg

This morning I woke up early and decided to make a demi-glace. I watched several videos yesterday about how to do it, which traditionally starts with 10+ lbs of veal bones and mirepoix, all covered in tomato paste which is cooked for 24 hrs or more. As much as I would have loved to make that, I don't have a good source of veal bones, nor did I have 24 hours to cook today. So I found a short-cut that I could make in a few hours and decided to give it a try. After a few hours of minding a stock pot, I put the demi in the fridge, pulled a 1.25 lb strip steak out of the freezer and headed for the airport. (I also watched a couple videos on plating, and I decided to put some ideas into action today.)

When I got home tonight, I put the steak into a pot of water with my sous vied machine. I made a quick pickle of red and yellow bell peppers, and warmed up some parsnip puree I made last night. I steamed a few asparagus stalks in the microwave. I took the steak out of the water bath, dried and seasoned it, then seared it in a frying pan. Once I had a nice crust on it, I set it aside to rest. I added diced shallots to the pan, deglazed it with red wine, then added a couple tablespoons of the demi-glace I made this morning. I reduced it all a bit, then turned off the heat and mounted the sauce with butter.

2023-10-08 20.14.35.jpg

I have to say, it was one of the simplest and best pan sauces I've ever made! I cut the demi into 9 double portions, so there's 8 more in the freezer...

This morning I woke up early and decided to make a demi-glace. I watched several videos yesterday about how to do it, which traditionally starts with 10+ lbs of veal bones and mirepoix, all covered in tomato paste which is cooked for 24 hrs or more. As much as I would have loved to make that, I don't have a good source of veal bones, nor did I have 24 hours to cook today. So I found a short-cut that I could make in a few hours and decided to give it a try. After a few hours of minding a stock pot, I put the demi in the fridge, pulled a 1.25 lb strip steak out of the freezer and headed for the airport. (I also watched a couple videos on plating, and I decided to put some ideas into action today.)

When I got home tonight, I put the steak into a pot of water with my sous vied machine. I made a quick pickle of red and yellow bell peppers, and warmed up some parsnip puree I made last night. I steamed a few asparagus stalks in the microwave. I took the steak out of the water bath, dried and seasoned it, then seared it in a frying pan. Once I had a nice crust on it, I set it aside to rest. I added diced shallots to the pan, deglazed it with red wine, then added a couple tablespoons of the demi-glace I made this morning. I reduced it all a bit, then turned off the heat and mounted the sauce with butter.

View attachment 73482

I have to say, it was one of the simplest and best pan sauces I've ever made! I cut the demi into 9 double portions, so there's 8 more in the freezer...
Holy hell you amaze me!! Those pictures alone make my imagination run wild!! 😍
I envy Amy!

Last edited:
I need to stop looking at this thread, especially in the morning!! 😍