• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What's on your plate today?

This morning was bacon, scrambled eggs, diced potatoes with rosemary, salt and pepper lightly browned in olive oil, a granny smith apple and black coffee.

Now we're going for a walk around the neighborhood to get some sun and a bit of exercise.
75F and sunny in Houston at the moment.

Set a record high of 72f yesterday on Christmas Day. I spent 4 hours hickory smoking a 10# ham butt and it turned out great.
This morning I am stuck the hambone with lots of meat still intact along brown bean and chopped onion, garlic, cumin and crushed red pepper on the stove. I love ham n beans and cornbread, but my wife complains of gas and bloat. This too shall pass.

Set a record high of 72f yesterday on Christmas Day. I spent 4 hours hickory smoking a 10# ham butt and it turned out great.
This morning I am stuck the hambone with lots of meat still intact along brown bean and chopped onion, garlic, cumin and crushed red pepper on the stove. I love ham n beans and cornbread, but my wife complains of gas and bloat. This too shall pass.

I can't eat beans, but I remember the aftershocks when mom would cook a pot of beans for the rest of the family.

20161218_175016.jpg 20161218_175009.jpg 20161218_121010.jpg 20161218_120956.jpg 20161217_192547.jpg 20161218_175004.jpg 20161218_121005.jpg 20161218_131516.jpg 20161218_175755.jpg I ventured back to Austin, Tx for a brief visit with friends. Where my buddy's sister, an excellent chef, graciously gave me cooking tips on several areas of cooking I sucked at.

She showed me how to make french toast from scratch, how to properly cook eggs, make fluffy pancakes, cook rice properly, how to make pot roast with steamed carrots & red potatoes and great burgers-all from scratch in a home kitchen.

Headed back home to Houston, but blessed to have a professional chef teach me some real elements of basic cooking. I was more than humbled and have asked her for more training on future trips.

Emerle watch your back!

20161218_120956.jpg 20161217_192547.jpg 20161218_175004.jpg 20161218_121005.jpg 20161218_131516.jpg 20161218_175755.jpg

Last edited:
Eating the last of my Chinese Takeout. Worked out to 7 meals for 25 bucks.
Mixed the remaining pork fried rice into the pint of hot and sour soup. BIG bowl. Loving it.
Dang you have some cheap Chinese takeout. I spend about $45 and get about three meals out of it. And my wife and I don't eat all that much. :)

Dang you have some cheap Chinese takeout. I spend about $45 and get about three meals out of it. And my wife and I don't eat all that much. :)
Yea, he gives great portions. Best Chinese in town too. Spend 25, and you get to pick off a list for a freebie. So, I always go to 25, get my freebie, and eat for days.

Having leftover Lasagna later, then freezing the rest into portions.
Kid is going through the Ham like a bonafide teenager.

Eating the last of my Chinese Takeout. Worked out to 7 meals for 25 bucks.
Mixed the remaining pork fried rice into the pint of hot and sour soup. BIG bowl. Loving it.
Is that seven meals between you and your son or each?

Is that seven meals between you and your son or each?
Just me. 7 Plates. He's not big on Chinese. He did have some Gen Tso's, so maybe more like 7.5 meals.
For pork fried rice ($6.65), he fills a 9 x 6 x 3 foam carry out so the rice completely fills the top. Gen Tso's is a 6 x 6 x 3 filled the same way...all meat. Egg Rolls, 1 buck each. Soup is $1.75 for a pint, $3.45 for a quart.

Just me. 7 Plates. He's not big on Chinese. He did have some Gen Tso's, so maybe more like 7.5 meals.
For pork fried rice ($6.65), he fills a 9 x 6 x 3 foam carry out so the rice completely fills the top. Gen Tso's is a 6 x 6 x 3 filled the same way...all meat. Egg Rolls, 1 buck each. Soup is $1.75 for a pint, $3.45 for a quart.
I wish we could get that much Chinese food for that cheap here!

I wish we had edible Chinese food here. I have to make my own.

Got a bag of Meyer lemons from my neighbor.
Decided to make my favorite lemon dish.

Meyer Lemon Pie

Ingredients
  • ½ cup fresh Meyer Lemon juice
  • 1 can sweetened condensed milk
  • 1 graham cracker crust

Instructions
  1. Squeeze lemon juice (through a strainer to catch the seeds) until you have ½ cup.
  2. Pour into a bowl with 1 can sweetened condensed milk.
  3. Mix to combine.
  4. Place lemon/milk filling into pie crust.
  5. Refrigerate until cooled & thickened.

IMG_20170102_205642.jpg

Had a taste for something barbecue-esque. I over-zealously bought a 10 pound pork shoulder which I split in half and froze the other half (got to actually use my cleaver for its intended purpose, however). I rubbed some spices on it and threw it on the grill just to brown/sear and then threw it in the crock pot with leftover cabernet for about 7 hours. Shredded it and ate it on a roll with some barbecue sauce and a side of cole slaw.
2zz2b7a.jpg