• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Anyone follow Formula 1?

I thought they were designed to be able to run out of gas and still recover the test sample. AM saying the pickup tube or something might have come loose, as they know how much they put in and how much they burned (double verified by the FIA's own encrypted fuel flow meter) and there should be well more than a litre left. Something ain't adding up, I hope they can resolve it during the impound period.

I honestly thought Vettel had lost it mentally as a driver when he rammed Hamilton in Baku, then just seemed to be off in another place after that at Ferrari. To go from 4 time champ at RB then jump to falling star Ferrari just as Hamilton was going from ho-hum McLaren to top of the world at Mercedes had to mess with his head. Good to see him getting good results - but that shirt stunt fallout isn't something that seems like it would help his racecraft at this point.

I thought they were designed to be able to run out of gas and still recover the test sample. AM saying the pickup tube or something might have come loose, as they know how much they put in and how much they burned (double verified by the FIA's own encrypted fuel flow meter) and there should be well more than a litre left. Something ain't adding up, I hope they can resolve it during the impound period.

I honestly thought Vettel had lost it mentally as a driver when he rammed Hamilton in Baku, then just seemed to be off in another place after that at Ferrari. To go from 4 time champ at RB then jump to falling star Ferrari just as Hamilton was going from ho-hum McLaren to top of the world at Mercedes had to mess with his head. Good to see him getting good results - but that shirt stunt fallout isn't something that seems like it would help his racecraft at this point.
I personally think Sebastian Vettel gave up at Ferrari -- just threw in the towel and mentally said, "I'll do my best week-to-week, but my head is not in a championship spot anymore because you haven't given me a championship car". I believe '17 and '18 broke any semblance of Red Bull-era young Seb that was left. He knows he's not a young buck, anymore, and has certainly matured both on and off the track. I've always loved how private he's been. Kind of like Kimi, dude is set for life, he knows it, and he's just going to go out there and be himself with all outside pressures be damned. I think if he's ever in position to actually fight for a fifth championship, he'll certainly rise to that level again, but the smaller team, mentor role, and Ferrari-less stress has got to be good for his soul. He still makes some dumb on-track mistakes and decisions, which were always the difference between he and Hamilton in their fights, but I do feel he's driving better than he has in a few years and giving Aston Martin their money's worth for him.

"I thought they were designed to be able to run out of gas and still recover the test sample."

You may be correct. If so, I hope that they find a way to get that extra few ounces out of it.

Changing the speed limits around Zandvoort for next week's F1 race there.

1630248931807.png

Hope they get better weather than Spa.

I kept the DVR running and was able to finally see the end of the festivities, but man what a slog.

I'm incredibly impressed by Zandvoort's new layout, and I bet it is a blast to drive. However, I don't think anyone expected an exciting race today. The commentators deserve to win Driver Of The Day for making us all believe there was drama going on. Congratulations to Max for taking the win and regaining the championship lead. It is certainly shaping up to be an interesting second half of the season.

Fun Fact: With Spa, Zandvoort, and Monaco, Max has swept all three of his "home" races this season.

Great weekend at Monza so far! If you have F1 TV and aren't watching Porsche Super Cup, you are really missing out on some great racing. Those things look like so much fun to drive. This was the last race of their season today, but you can go back and watch replays and highlights. This is a good race to start with, for sure.

I just watched the highlights of the Italian GP and found it entertaining. I was glad to see someone other than the predictable two end up on the podium. There's not enough competition in F1 for my taste, so on-track events that level the field (like rain or this weekend's incident) draw my attention.

Just... wow.

Whatever you were hoping for an outcome this season -- just... wow.

Just... wow.

Whatever you were hoping for an outcome this season -- just... wow.
That was, to say the least, the best ending in sports I have seen in a long time! WOW! I am so happy that Max won, but I wish the stewards had their shit together better the last few races! I say this as a new fan with no history or understanding of this "polite" sport....but To have the championship end on the last race AND the last lap, they could have better rules to end that...use a red flag to end with a green/white flag like nascar!? They could have just stopped and did a warm up then a stop/start to finish....again, I don't get how damn "polite" this sport can be, but they have new fans (which brings more money), so they better adjust or just go back to the only niche/elite group of fans they are used to.

I'm ridiculously conflicted on this one. I don't blame the teams or drivers a bit -- they did everything they had to do perfectly to set themselves up to win. Red Bull looked like Schumacher-era Ferrari with how well they played the team game. Race Control and the Stewards have been inconsistent all year and THAT is something that must be rectified. I understand that the past two seasons have been a bit unorthodox because of Covid, but that shouldn't have anything to do with how the rules are implemented and enforced race to race. I am usually a staunch supporter of, "Hey, sometimes races are going to end under caution... that's just racing". I despise contrived endings for entertainment's sake. There's a predetermined race distance/time; to try an manipulate that in order to make fans happy starts to impact driver safety, team finances, and (IMHO) the overall integrity of motorsport. Look at what's happened to NASCAR in the past 10-15 years. It has become professional wrestling-on-wheels. Also, keep in mind that F1 cars are fueled just enough to run the race distance (+2 litres, except in Vettel's case...), so adding extra laps to the race just to make a more exciting finish is not a possibility.

That said, I would have been as disappointed as anyone to see the race today end behind the safety car to determine the champion. Hell, I'd have rather seen them take each other out on the first lap! I could have lived with a red flag and then a rolling restart from behind the safety car. In fact, I think it would have been easier to stomach than the shit show that the end turned into. I'm not upset Max won it -- I do live in the Netherlands, for Gott's sake! I'm happy for them, but do feel that Merc has a valid argument (that they will never win). Now, I'm not sure Liberty Media could have asked for a better season in order to attract/keep new American F1 fans. Drive To Survive is going to be absolutely bonkers next year. Make no mistake, though: it is American fans that LM/F1 is trying to attract, which is a rather small percentage of its worldwide fan base. Having more American fans to attend more American races, spending more American dollars is a nice bonus, but I don't think that LM/F1 is hurting too much with Formula 1 being a niche sport in this singular market place.

I agree with you. By no way did I mean it should be or try to be like nascar, didn't mean to sound like thats what I meant as I am not a fan of nascar at all. And I am sure F1 will be just fine without American fans.

Regardless of all that, as a new fan, I just don't know the history enough, but the "rules" just seem so inconsistent the last few months. I don't follow it as much as others, so its hard for me to argue one way or the other. I just think they could have ended that race differently or at least had a plan. I think it took forever for them to get equipment to that wreck cleared and with all the confusion it just added up. But I do like RedBulls strategy/luck and think Max raced his butt off. Mec even asked Ham earlier in the race if there was pace car what tires (yes thats how I spell TIRE damnit) he would want and he said one or the other, but when it came time to pit they did nothing.

Like I said, I am new to the sport and had one hell of a ride following it this year outside of just watching netflix.
Side note, I was SUPER pissed off!!!!! We slept in, so we were watching it about 10-15 minutes behind real time and during the yellow laps the wife's phone went off with a ESPN alert and she read it out loud!!!!!!!!!! WTF I wanted to take her knees out! So while the ending was ruined for me, it was still crazy to watch it play out.

Opening weekend! Also, Voodoo Paul just informed me that Seb Vettel has the 'Rona and is out for this weekend. SuperSub Hulk will be filling in.

I have the DVR set to record FP1, Q, and the GP. Not sure what to think of this year, I'm wondering if the cars are really as different from last year as everybody was hoping.

I am pumped! Set the recording as well incase I sleep in a bit. Have one episode left in drive to survive...trying not to read any spoilers 🤣

Here's the weekend schedule in CET (I believe we are now +5 from EST):

F3PRACTICEFri09:25 - 10:10
F2PRACTICEFri10:35 - 11:20
F1PRACTICE 1Fri13:00 - 14:00
F3QUALIFYINGFri14:30 - 15:00
F1PRACTICE 2Fri16:00 - 17:00
F2QUALIFYINGFri17:30 - 18:00
F3SPRINT RACESat10:45 - 11:30
F1PRACTICE 3Sat13:00 - 14:00
F1PRE-QUALIFYING SHOWSat15:30 - 15:55
F1QUALIFYINGSat16:00 - 17:00
F1POST-QUALIFYING SHOWSat17:00 - 17:30