• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

ARs, AKs, etc.

One nice things about AR's, suppressors, 1911's, scopes, etc. is it makes burning a $15.00 cigar seem like a cheap pastime...... :p

I picked out an AR-15 over a week ago with my brother. He has a gun collection and pushed me to get one after this latest tragedy in fear of political agendas. It was purchased and then put away @ his house until Christmas. (a gift from him to me)

I had did some research online and had asked around about ARs. Many different point of views, all with their own great points. I finally decided to go with a new Windham Weaponry WW-15 .223 and 5.56. I had them take off the stock guard and add a TROY Quad Rail system for future attachments. I had them also add front/rear TROY flip up, iron sights. It came with a hard case, sling and a 10rd clip. I really don't see myself using the sling that came with it but did see many quick-release, 3 point style slings that I may try.

This is my first gun I have ever owned! I had recently been getting into hunting/guns within the past two years. It seems I have been getting a little more serious about it lately. Looking forward to hitting some local gun clubs and homing in on my accuracy.

All this talk about the 30rd pmags with them flying off shelves and the price gouging makes me nervous. Im looking to possibly get at least 5-10 after the holidays. Can anyone tell me what they should be going for and possible links to reputable distributors ? The only thing flaw that I have to deal with is being a NY resident, and I believe most places will not ship 30rd mags to NY? Although, Im a complete newb to this so I will continue to research my local laws and restrictions.

I'll be posting pics up after Christmas. Thanks for any insight or help you may have for me.

~Austen

Austen I am by no means a gun guy. I know funny since my inlaws are big time. However if you give me the specs of what you are looking for I can have them look around here in NH (tax free of course) and ship them off to you. Again I am a complete gun idiot so if I was to walk up to the counter do I just ask for a 30rd P magazine or is it gun specific?

Let me know if I can help,
Paul

I picked out an AR-15 over a week ago with my brother. He has a gun collection and pushed me to get one after this latest tragedy in fear of political agendas. It was purchased and then put away @ his house until Christmas. (a gift from him to me)

I had did some research online and had asked around about ARs. Many different point of views, all with their own great points. I finally decided to go with a new Windham Weaponry WW-15 .223 and 5.56. I had them take off the stock guard and add a TROY Quad Rail system for future attachments. I had them also add front/rear TROY flip up, iron sights. It came with a hard case, sling and a 10rd clip. I really don't see myself using the sling that came with it but did see many quick-release, 3 point style slings that I may try.

This is my first gun I have ever owned! I had recently been getting into hunting/guns within the past two years. It seems I have been getting a little more serious about it lately. Looking forward to hitting some local gun clubs and homing in on my accuracy.

All this talk about the 30rd pmags with them flying off shelves and the price gouging makes me nervous. Im looking to possibly get at least 5-10 after the holidays. Can anyone tell me what they should be going for and possible links to reputable distributors ? The only thing flaw that I have to deal with is being a NY resident, and I believe most places will not ship 30rd mags to NY? Although, Im a complete newb to this so I will continue to research my local laws and restrictions.

I'll be posting pics up after Christmas. Thanks for any insight or help you may have for me.

~Austen

Austen I am by no means a gun guy. I know funny since my inlaws are big time. However if you give me the specs of what you are looking for I can have them look around here in NH (tax free of course) and ship them off to you. Again I am a complete gun idiot so if I was to walk up to the counter do I just ask for a 30rd P magazine or is it gun specific?

Paul

Paul,
I would not do this. It's my understanding that NY only allows pre ban 1994 30rd magazines. Shipping 30rd P-Mags to NY is illegal. This was the law a few years ago. I'm not sure if its changed. I would definitely double check before a felony is committed!

~Austen

Paul

Paul,
I would not do this. It's my understanding that NY only allows pre ban 1994 30rd magazines. Shipping 30rd P-Mags to NY is illegal. This was the law a few years ago. I'm not sure if its changed. I would definitely double check before a felony is committed!

Good to know thanks for the info. I thought you just couldn't buy them in NY that's all.

Sorry Austen

How do you tell if something is pre-ban or not, in terms of magazines? I thought they didn't have markings or S#'s on them... Is it possible to put a 1994 pmag next to a 2011 pmag and tell the difference ?

Thanks Paul. Your a good dude for offering but I don't wish anything illegal being done. I'll have to dig deeper and see what "loop hole" I can find.

Also, with this last "Newbie" war with all it's contents, Im surprised they would even notice the mags being shipped ? :laugh:

How do you tell if something is pre-ban or not, in terms of magazines? I thought they didn't have markings or S#'s on them... Is it possible to put a 1994 pmag next to a 2011 pmag and tell the difference ?

Thanks Paul. Your a good dude for offering but I don't wish anything illegal being done. I'll have to dig deeper and see what "loop hole" I can find.

Also, with this last "Newbie" war with all it's contents, Im surprised they would even notice the mags being shipped ? :laugh:

There where no "P-Mags" in 1994. The only mags available where GI standard issue magazines. Most where stamped "law enforcement only" or " military use". There really is no determination of pre-ban magazines with serial numbers or dates. This actually a bad thing. The burden of proof lies on the possessor to PROVE it is a pre-ban magazine. NY gun laws suck! The NRA website is a great tool to learn state and federal gun laws.

On a side note, I have heard of people shipping disassembled banned magazines into banned states. There is a loop whole allowing you to purchase "parts". The issue lies as once you get the magazine back together, you are now committing a crime.

Isn't that just a really good question...?? I have a firearms trust set up for my NFA weapons. If a ban on these weapons and magazines is approved, I intend to upgrade my trust to include all my weapons and magazines. Every one of them. I'll then have a dated, signed, notarized legal document that describes the types and quantities of all my hardware. Not 100% foolproof, but it's a damn good start.

If they move to restrict our liberty, it's only prudent to take steps to preserve what we currently have. IMHO, of course......

Excellent idea Tom! Thanks for that... I very much want to stay in good graces with the law and be a responsible gun owner.
How would one go about doing this "trust" that you speak of ? Sounds like a fool proof plan to me to have one's 'equipment' documented.

Thanks gentlemen for all your help. The many restrictions, bans, local/state laws - accompanied by 'pre-emptive' steps one can take, can be a mess to try and filter through. Especially for someone as 'green' as myself.

There are lawyers that specialize in gun trusts in almost every state. Here's some decent reading:

http://www.guntrustlawyer.com/

Here are the guys I used:

http://www.guntrustswa.com/

If you google "gun trust" followed by your state, you'll get a ton of info.

Went today to the store where i picked up my original 6.8 and they still had some RR and Bushy's left all 1100 and up picked up 500 55gr for 300 more than he usually has it but not as insane as some of the other places. The had an Arsenal 7.62 x 39 for 1200. The funny part was you walked in and you couldn't even browse they would just direct you to the back of the line and you would need to wait till it was your turn to just even look at what was available. They did have stripped lowers for 249 up. shop is over in fishkill ny. they had Colt 30rd magazines from 1978 going for 75 a magazine.
The guy in front of me brought two and paid with CC so it was 167 for the two, ouch.

I am still looking for my upper but i guess i will wait and see what happens.

" You'll shoot your eye out kid ! " - A Christmas Story

Here you go gentlemen. I trust this community enough to post up some pics of my first/new rifle. I cannot wait to get some rounds through her. Any suggestions on particular ammo ? I know I will be trying a few to get the best response with this particular gun, but I also like 'clip notes'. ;) Enjoy. . .

gallery_13416_1487_4714.jpg

gallery_13416_1487_38463.jpg

gallery_13416_1487_26485.jpg

gallery_13416_1487_38498.jpg

Any suggestions on particular ammo ? I know I will be trying a few to get the best response with this particular gun, but I also like 'clip notes'. ;) Enjoy. . .

Is the twist rate marked on the barrel?
1:9 is for ideal 55gr 5.56 but a bit slow for 62gr
1:7 is for 62gr and up 5.56, a bit fast for 55gr, but works in a pinch.
1:12 is usually found in .223 bolt guns for the lightweight varmint rounds.

Any suggestions on particular ammo ? I know I will be trying a few to get the best response with this particular gun, but I also like 'clip notes'. ;) Enjoy. . .

Is the twist rate marked on the barrel?
1:9 is for ideal 55gr 5.56 but a bit slow for 62gr
1:7 is for 62gr and up 5.56, a bit fast for 55gr, but works in a pinch.
1:12 is usually found in .223 bolt guns for the lightweight varmint rounds.
I've shot everything from 45gr to 79gr out of my 1:7 twist Colt...with the 45gr being the most accurate. Shot a 5 shot group@ 100yrds that all occupied at least some part of the same holes.

Since my new handguard arrived last night and I gave it a dry fit, I figured it was about time to take a pic of it:

p1352385808-3.jpg

My CMMG MK4, in 5.56 mm with EOTech 517 and a new Troy Battlerail Delta.

^ That's a sweet looking gun!

Thanks for the input guys. I will have to check the barrel for a twist marking tom. for its under the bed and the Mrs. is already to sleep.

Still haven't gotten my REC 7 because they're so difficult to find, so I decided I would switch directions for a minute and pick up an Arsenal SLR 101. Awesome.

Link

I've been debating posting this here. I figure I will post facts (as near as possible) and let you draw your own conclusions.

Background.
556CarbineRiflesOnly.jpg

On Black Friday Dick's Sporting Goods offered up the Troy Battle Rifle as a door buster $799. Those sold out quickly and at some point the price rose to $1099, even though there was no stock on hand, Dick's continued to take orders.

Fast forward to incident in CT and Dick's pulls all ARs and sends letters, along with a $100 Dick's Gift Card, explaining that their "rain check" would NOT be filled as Dick's was now out of the AR game.

Here is a letter from Troy on the issue. Troy's Letter on Dick's There are obiviously a lot of hurt feelings all around, at $800 the rifle was a steal and even at $1100 it was a decent price.