• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Candela cigar review

Package arrived before I left on Saturday. Everyone is safe and sound in the humi.

Package arrived safe and sound.

Receive the greenies today, in great shape.

Joe, I have a question about the Camachos - one has a brown band and the other is green...there isn't any difference, is there?

The Camachos came that way in the box....alternating band colors. I'm not sure what is up with that, so I sent out 1 each to all the reviewers.

AVB, Tigger, TheVitaleMob - checks recv'd. Thanks!

I listened to the DWSC from last last week and they mentioned this thread. Pretty cool. Thanks Dale and Bob! I'm curious to hear what you think about the cigars and am looking forward to hearing your Candela show! Dale is a big fan of strong cigars, he will probably have to smoke 3 at once just to know he's smoking a cigar!

I've had a few PM's about the Candela packs and only have enough cigars for a couple more packs, if anyone is interested.

I was going to do my review today, but I mowed the lawn instead.....<sigh>......

This is a very nice project and well run. Good luck to you guys. I'll be curious to hear what you all have to say. The only candela I've ever smoked was an 858 and I thought it was an unusual but tasty stick.

Wilkey

Got mine today. Almost smoked the wrong one! Fighting the end of a cold but I can see an 858 in my green future.

Fish

Got the smokes tonight when I got home.

I think there may be something wrong with them.

They are all green! :sign:

Will let them rest for a few days before I light up.

I will update the first post of this thread as we go along. I copied the review schedule there this morning...that way you don't have to go looking for it.

I have had some interest from a few other folks about participating as they have time. I have encouraged all of them to post their reviews.

Ok, let's see those reviews!

OK so who is gonna be first?

I am planning on smoking mine tomorrow afternoon, as the sun sets over the mountains on the warmest January day I can remember. Come back to read all about it.

Greenie Review - Part 1
AF 858 Flor Fina

First off I want to thank jgohlke for coordinating, hunting down the green treats and putting more time into this then anyone else. You are a true BOTL!

Preface:
This is my first candela and the thought of smoking a green cigar is intriguing. Those of you that know me know I am a maduro fan and in contrast to all the dark and oily sticks in my humi, there are these new additions that look like they are just not ripe yet compared to the others.

The wrapper is dry and smooth, smells almost flowery. At this point I am a bit concerned that my cigar will taste like lavender or some other horrible foo-foo flavor. As I gently scissored off the cap some of the wrapper started to peel awa but was easily fixed with some cigar glue (spit).

I held the cigar for a while and even dry-puffed (is that even a real term?) before lighting. There is a mild sweetness to the wrapper which has no bite at all compared to the rich maduro's I am used to.

The light:
It lit quickly and the taste was very mild with a nice natural sweetness, even the back smoke smells good. The ash is bone white and soft. Looking out over the woods, watching the evergreens contrast the grassy fields the scenery matches the wonderfully mild taste.

Quarter way in:
Burning nicely now. The ash has firmed up a bit but still mostly white with flecks of black. I decided that the coffee I was going to drink might be too strong for the delicate sweetness so I turned to water. Some idiot is driving too fast around my country roads on his Harley. I can hear him winding up the low gears, damn noob. The thought of him ending up in a tree makes me smile. Not that I wish him harm, but if I find his bike first I am bringing it home with me. Ahhh, maybe it's a wide glide and not too badly scratched.

Halfway now:
Flavor still has not changed which is a good thing, mild with a hint of pears or apples. Got about an inch of ash and I'll just let it fall when it's ready. Motorcycle is gone now but no terrible screech. Crisis averted. and my quest for a wide glide continues.

Home stretch:
I am truly sorry the cigar is ending. A statement I don't throw around too loosely. I have found a new appreciation for the greenies and look forward to the rest of the review process (comon' Greycliff). Ash is loosening again and the taste has gotten a bit stronger and less sweet. I've got about an inch left before I start to burn at the green Fuente band.

The conclusion:
With all things turning to green from my new green cast, to my green cigar, to my green poland spring label and the evergreen trees this could be a good signthat the NY Jets will pull a HUGE upset this week in Foxboro. This cigar was much better then I expected. I give it 4 out of 5 butts-up for its consistency, cool even smoke and the unnatural green color.

I recommend this cigar to folks who like a milder cigar. It has some natural sweetness but it's not artificial tasting like a Baccarat or a Swisher. Because surroundings and drink are just as important as the smoking experience I have included a pic of one of my outdoor smoking areas.

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o129/An...hH/DSC01441.jpg

Fish

I just did the first 858&copy; today. I can't add too much but I'll try after the second one is done. Great review :thumbs:

Sitting at the Corona store having a smoke with Gonz...smoking the AF 858 right now...will post the full review later.

Edit: all below

Just got home after spending some time smoking and joking with Gonz. We traded both cigars and stories and I even conned him into smoking the AF 858 with me.

First off, let me say I've only smoked one other green cigar ever and it wasn't that good. I was intrigued by their reputation for mildness and recently have been on a quest to discover the milder side of cigar smoking. That's what lead me to this review series.

I unwrapped the cigar and clipped it. The cap sort of slid off, rather than being cut and the pre-light draw was almost perfect. Construction was solid, firm with just a little give and no soft spots. The wrapper was even and unblemished. The band was anchored pretty tightly so I left it on.

I lit it directly with a match while I puffed on it. I managed to get it started with just one match. It tastes the way it smells...which is sort of sweet, but not really and sort of green but not really. They smell a bit different than other cigars and this had me worried just a bit....I had visions of it turning into a burning grass or something. The excellent construction continued to show itself in the draw and smoke. Lots of smoke, just a bit creamy with a slight hint of sweetness. I have to admit to reading AngryFishH's review and I'll second the slight fruitiness of the taste. I'm a bit hesitant to say "fruitiness", but it's a pleasant taste and not at all overpowering. More like how an apple smells, than how it tastes.

I didn't pay enough attention and dropped the ash on the table after an inch or so. The cigar burned slowly and evenly, with no runs or tunneling. I took my time with it and tried to make sure I smoked it slow enough to keep the draws cool. I rotated it as I smoked it and didn't have to touch up the burn at all.

The flavor profile of the cigar remained constant for the whole smoke. It's a mild cigar and very easy to smoke. I got great clouds of smoke with every puff. I practiced letting a little smoke out through my nose, something I have trouble doing with stronger cigars.

I ashed myself again at the 1/2 way point. Just about the 1/3 point, I ashed it by tapping it on the ashtray and didn't puff on it right away. I must have knocked the coal off, because it went out almost immediately after I ashed it. I didn't relight it.

Later, Gonz smoked his and when he was done he peeled the wrapper a bit. Mine was still in the ashtray, so I dug it out and cut it in half with my knife. The wrapper (the green part) is tissue paper thin. Underneath that the cigar looks fairly normal with brown binder leaves and brown filler leaves. We spent some time examining the leaves and generally making a mess. We were both fascinated by the fragility of the wrapper leaves and wondered if they are difficult to roll.

Overall, the construction, appearance and draw on this cigar was as good as it gets with the only negative being the weakness in the ash. This would not be a good cigar to enter into an "long ash" contest.

The cigar was very mild, but extremely smokeable. I have a few of these left over and I look forward to smoking them.

This would be an excellent cigar to gift to a buddy during poker night or to anyone that doesn't smoke much (or at all). I have to admit to being very pleasantly suprised by this cigar.

Well, I smoked the first 858 last night, but I have to confess that it was peripheral to the experience that I was having last night. I came to terms with myself over some problems that I have been having since leaving college and have hopefully gotten over my sense of guilt about leaving college. I will probably post about it later in the lobby. Anyway, I will smoke the second one this week sometime and give it the proper attention that I have promised to give it.

-Chris

Smoked the 858 today. I have smoked a number of green cigars before. Like the other one's I've had, I think what I like most is the sort of tea like flavors that the wrapper gives the cigar. Perfect burn, white ash (l like white asssh's) :cool: good clean draw. Very nice early in the day cigar, not something I would seek after a big meal or with a big red wine.

Smoked the 858 today. I have smoked a number of green cigars before. Like the other one's I've had, I think what I like most is the sort of tea like flavors that the wrapper gives the cigar. Perfect burn, white ash (l like white asssh's) :cool: good clean draw. Very nice early in the day cigar, not something I would seek after a big meal or with a big red wine.
That's nice. The avatar, I mean. :laugh:

A. Fuente 8-5-8 Candela Review #1

This is the first of the 8-5-8's. Second one will be reviewed tomorrow night.

Had a couple hours to myself this evening and thought I would warm up the herf-mobile and give this stick a try. Had to dig out said herf-mobile first...

1313176kb3.jpg

After the warm up of my "smoking room", it is time to get down to business.

Beverage was plain water.

Prelight impressions: The appearance of this cigar is very nice, smell was of plain tobacco, cut the head and the prelight draw was near perfect.

First third: Started out smooth and creamy. Very mild, but good tobacco flavor. A touch of sweetness here and there. Nice way to start a cigar.

1313155fc4.jpg

Midway through: Still nice and smooth, the creaminess has given way to almost a tea like flavor mingled in with the tobacco. This stick would pair wonderfully with some Oolong. There are hints of another flavor that I am picking up in the aftertaste. At first I could not give a name to it, but the best I can come up with is a very slight taste of Wrigleys Juicy Fruit gum. Kinda like the hints that you pick up 10-15 minutes after you finish chewing a piece. Not real strong, but present every now and then right after a puff.

The ash is nice and white and holds on forever. It fell off due to my jumbling around with the camera, but after that I did not loose it again till I was done. Very relaxing smoke for sure.

1313169sz8.jpg

Final third: The last third of this cigar seemed to burn really hot. I had to be careful to take really small puffs to keep the heat down. A couple puffs were a little grassy, others were still the mild, tobacco with hints of tea.

1313175bs3.jpg

Overall impressions: This was a nice smoke. It did not have any of the coffee or chocolate overtones I have been enjoying with my regular smokes, but the change of pace and the interesting flavors of this stick are worth a vist. Truly a mild cigar that is not lacking in flavor or character.

Would I smoke another? Yes I would. This is the first candela I have smoked and I have enjoyed the experience. I look foward to the second 8-5-8 tomorrow both for the enjoyment and comparison to this one.

Stay tuned.

Great reviews so far guys. These 858's are definitely not a popular smoke out this way. I was at the local B&M this weekend and they mentioned that the half full box they had on the shelf had been there for almost a year. I bought a few to throw in the humi in case I ever feel like experimenting with something green and different someday.

EDIT - Bilder you are hardcore with that smoking "room" my friend!

Holy crap!

To a dude born and raised in Southern Cali, that looks insurmountable.

I was bitching to my wife when I had to put on a jacket to smoke this afternoon...

Great review. The tea-flavors that I hear about in Candela reviews has really piqued my interest.

That car needs some repair to pass the emissions test up here (exhaust pipe is rusted up), so it is not going anywhere till spring. At least it runs good and the heater works. :)

Nice reviews, looks like 858 candela is a really nice stick! Cool! :)