• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Election 2004 Pass

cohibasurfer said:
servebig said:
cohibasurfer said:
I am dumbfounded why people don't list in order of take for put... stick for stick, instead of scatter there P&T's. Extras can just be listed at the bottom. It just leaves nothing to the imagination.
CS...i dont wanna dumbfound you dude ;) when i do the final post i'll make sure and simplify it for you :D

barney
Do it for yourself .... dood.

It'll make things easy to discern for yourself, as well as the rest of the discriminating members looking on.

Comprende'? :)
ok here ya go discerning ones...

Takes

28)CAO Black Belicoso
34)Perdomo Reserve A#4 Maduro

Puts

53)Avo 22
54)Avo 77
55)Padron 1926 #9

CS how did i do?

DC 03040370000163972304 Ted you should see it tuesday. Thanks for letting me play CC. Good luck with the election!!

barney

MilesMingusMonk said:
43)AF BTL----------------------------->Rare: $30 Value or equal rarity?
Probably closer to $20 -- but yeah they are released once or twice a year, so seasonal/rare smokes like that might be more appropriate.

The Mrs. says there's a big box for me at the PO. Can't wait!

So, uh... rare cigars, eh? How about one of the dog rockets & grew & rolled, myself? I'd say they look a little like BackWoods, but they don't look that good ;)

Anyway, I'll do P&T sometime tomorrow, after I have some time to smell the box for a bit :)

OKAY, glad you're going to play Misc :thumbs:
The "Senor Misc" farmrolleds sound GREAT!! This pass needs a few rare ceegars :p

Oh and cvmfour, I think NSS means "No $hit Sherlock" :D

Ok, here's what I'm lookin' at...

Take:
#17, Ashton VSG -- Camaroon says he already took this one, so I figure it's a freebie ;)
#33 Indian Tabac
#42 AF Anejo (I can't believe this made it this far!)

Put:
* La Gloria Cubana Serie R
* CAO Samba (if you've never had one, smoke it & fall in love! :))
* RyJ "Dream"
* Carlos Torano Exodus 1959

In addition, just for fun...
* Vegas de Santiago Puro -- pre-release, this little company makes some awesome cigars, and they just get better, if you hold them for about 6 months... Plus, they're inexpensive.
* La Eminencia Fancy Cubanita, Dec 2002 -- the best cigar 60c can buy, and MAN! do they age well!
* I felt kind-a bad about taking both the VSG and the Anejo and only putting back medium-level cigars (but who could resist those two?!) -- so I put a MonteCristo Limited Edition ISOM into the Havana bucket. Hopefully, that makes up for it.

I'll check tomorrow morning, and if nobody has griped about what a rip-off I'm trying to pull, that'll be what I mail out to Mesa AZ.

Thanks for letting me play! :)

Looks great Misc :thumbs: except you forgot to "PUT" the Senor Misc farm rolled you mentioned in your previous post :sign:

Thank you very much for participating in the pass and joining us back here at CP after an extended vacation :p

coventrycat86 said:
Looks great Misc :thumbs: except you forgot to "PUT" the Senor Misc farm rolled you mentioned in your previous post :sign:
Heh. Actually, they're exceptionally rare (and the 2004 crop looks even smaller, thanks to @#$% deer! :( ) and, while there might be a good one or two in there, they're probably mostly serious rockets. The entire 1st crop (2003) is going as gifts to the people who contributed to my learning experience with their amazing support (thanks, ASC!)

2005 should be a better yeild, though -- I've learned a LOT about this! Hit me when I start rolling those cigars about this time, 2006 :)

Great people talk about ideas.
Average people talk about things.
Small people talk about other people.

Misc said:
coventrycat86 said:
Heh. Actually, they're exceptionally rare (and the 2004 crop looks even smaller, thanks to @#$% deer! :( ) and, while there might be a good one or two in there, they're probably mostly serious rockets. The entire 1st crop (2003) is going as gifts to the people who contributed to my learning experience with their amazing support (thanks, ASC!)

2005 should be a better yeild, though -- I've learned a LOT about this! Hit me when I start rolling those cigars about this time, 2006 :)

Great people talk about ideas.
Average people talk about things.
Small people talk about other people.
Hey that triggers in my mind an article on the web or in a Magazine about some guys that went together to grow some Tobac...Not the same group is it?

Respectfully, The host has spoken but that last p/t leaves me with a little confused. Which cigar was pur for the VSG and which one for the Anjio?

Gunpowder said:
Hey that triggers in my mind an article on the web or in a Magazine about some guys that went together to grow some Tobac...Not the same group is it?
Nope, it's just me -- did it on a whim and am sort of enjoying it (except for the @#$% deer!)

But I had many friends and benefactors from ASC who donated supplies like cigar molds, cedar sheets, knowledge & info, etc. That's what I meant by sending the 1st batch to them. They're not "part of a group" except that they're all friends who have "supported the effort" in one way or another.

Respectfully, The host has spoken but that last p/t leaves me with a little confused. Which cigar was pur for the VSG and which one for the Anjio?

Neither.

There used to be a time when the point of a pass was to have fun. People took what looked good, put in cigars they liked, made an honest effort to leave the box better off than they got it, and everybody had a good time. I hail from that era.

After a while, I noticed that more and more CPers were stressing over nickels & dimes. My first reaction was "they're just cigars, for crying out loud" and "you didn't see me crying when I sent out a pass with 12 ISOMs that came back with zero, did you?" -- but I figured that the economy was tanking and 9/11 had happened and people were nervous about money and jobs and so... "ok, whatever." Still, I stopped hanging around when people were too stressed out and it stopped being fun.

Our host wrote to me personally to ask me to "come off of vacation" and play in this pass. I assume it was because of my charming attitude, since it couldn't have been for my good looks.
:0

I'm pretty sure that I passed the box on in better shape than I got it in. The host gave me a "looks great" and that's all the okey-dokey I need to put it in the mail. I certainly don't need the peanut-gallery coming in after that and casting aspersions my play, "respectfully" or otherwise.

Like my grandmother used to say: "if you can't say something nice, keep your @#$% pie-hole shut." :love:

P.S. CC: you're on my list for the next free "Senor Misc" that comes up :)

Misc said:
There used to be a time when the point of a pass was to have fun. People took what looked good, put in cigars they liked, made an honest effort to leave the box better off than they got it, and everybody had a good time. I hail from that era.

After a while, I noticed that more and more CPers were stressing over nickels & dimes. My first reaction was "they're just cigars, for crying out loud" and "you didn't see me crying when I sent out a pass with 12 ISOMs that came back with zero, did you?" -- but I figured that the economy was tanking and 9/11 had happened and people were nervous about money and jobs and so... "ok, whatever." Still, I stopped hanging around when people were too stressed out and it stopped being fun.
Couldn't have said it better myself!! :thumbs:

If I send out a pass (I've done a couple) my only expectation is that people have a good time, try some smokes that maybe they haven't had a chance to, and BE FAIR!! :lookup:

If you've been around cigars for a while, you know if your P&T's are OK. If you haven't
(and you've been allowed in the pass for whatever reason) then you can ask if your selections are OK.

Gotta admit, I'm getting tired of the sniping by folks who are just following the pass and aren't participants, or who are and seem to be worried that the box will get to them with all the "good stuff" gone.

If you see something outrageous, maybe you can call it out, but I'm guessing that most folks who start passes are experienced enough to do their own policing. :D

As I said, It's CC's Pass. My inquiry was in the form of a question and your answer is quite interesting.

Your definition of a Pass seems to be different that the ones that I have experienced and have been described to me. I came along apparently after the attention to dollars and cents so have no experience before that. All I know is what has been explained to me. ..and beat into me :p

This is my fourth pass and the past three were pretty strict on p/t's. Sounds from description that passes were pretty layed back prior to last year.

The Pass is past me and I left it better than when it arrived in my mailbox so no hair off my... as long as CC is happy.

Hey now...

Nice PTs misc. Ya know this has sort of been a contentious pass, but I think its going well. I had some doubts as to my PTs so I wrote CC and then I put it out for the passers to chew on. All input was appreciated...some barbs were thrown in fun...and now the box moves on. Thing is, if I would have done crappy PTs (i didn't did i? ;) ) i would fully expected to get called on it.

This is a forum...which means that as long as you aren't out of line you should be able to share your opinions on all things having to do with cigars. In the end we are all BOTLs...just doing something we love to do! Most of us know that what goes around comes around, and in the end we all just want to have fun.

To all that are here, and will be in the future, my humidor is your humidor.

Barney

psyktek said:
Misc said:

Couldn't have said it better myself!! :thumbs:

If I send out a pass (I've done a couple) my only expectation is that people have a good time, try some smokes that maybe they haven't had a chance to, and BE FAIR!! :lookup:

If you've been around cigars for a while, you know if your P&T's are OK. If you haven't
(and you've been allowed in the pass for whatever reason) then you can ask if your selections are OK.

Gotta admit, I'm getting tired of the sniping by folks who are just following the pass and aren't participants, or who are and seem to be worried that the box will get to them with all the "good stuff" gone.

If you see something outrageous, maybe you can call it out, but I'm guessing that most folks who start passes are experienced enough to do their own policing. :D
This might be long winded ... so bear with me here.

First off I'll address this first part to your gracious host.

CC I'm a little bit taken by your "lack of public acknowledgement regarding the interventions". You have the responsibility to get the backs of the people you have requested help from, in keeping your pass fair. You also have the responsibility to make sure that one player doesn't get away with what a prior participant couldn't ( or didn't). It's certainly your pass, and you can do whatever you see fit. But, when you teeter todder with acceptable passing edicate between players, you set the whole thing up for controversy. This controversy then can, and usually does, escalate to flames and hard feelings between board members. When you encouraged me to step in on a couple of the plays being made, I did just what you asked. I even made a few packages up and sent them to some of your passers so they could have the stick they took, then put back in miscalculation. This was done in benevolence of CP not for you. But you never really accentuated your position. This in turn resulted in yet another scenario, which again probably cause a few ruffled feathers. Now we have another event. You owe it to yourself and the rest of the players (and CP members) to come out and explain your position.

This is my position .. but it was stated in this context by another member I will not identify at this time.

"It sets a poor precedent".

"First, considering the shady (*shady may not be the right terminology) P&Ts that have already occurred repeatedly in this pass that needed intervention, I think it sends a mixed signal to everyone involved"!

"Second, passes have the highest "viewed" number at CP and I think its crucial to maintain equality and fairness with these trades on the public forum. It effects how future trades will be dealt against. Hell if you want to do an uneven trade, do it privately".

*= added by me

Now as for MISC.

Of course I believe passes should be fun. And I'm sure you didn't do your P&T's to get over on anyone. But in the same context, it looks as if you wanted to creat some sort of controversy. And you did. Since CC ok'd your position, I really haven't a leg to stand on but my own opinion, which by your response to GP, won't be accepted as anything anyways. So I'll save it.

Now for Psyktek.

Again... some of us were asked to post our feelings and did. I get tired of hearing " people not involved in the pass should not post". This is a Bulletin board for crying out loud.

To everyone,

I wish everyone was knowlegeable from day one. But unfortunately, people have to learn. Whether it be passers or pass hosts And if things that happen are not explained. No one learns. This will not create a schism. But a few do drop out because their intent is factualized. The rest learn and remain our BoTL.

I do however see why alot of my old passing buds have long since quit and remain silent.

The Puts/Takes look horrible. If you want to do it old school then that's up to you. Serve Big got flogged so bad for what he did and he actually put back good sticks. I'll sit back with my popcorn and watch it all unfold :lookup:

Wow...I just realized that Cohibasurfer isn't even *IN* the pass! I guess he has just taken on the role of the pass nazi ;) I for one am glad someone has the balls to speak their mind. That being said, if CC comes out and publicly validates a play thats really end of story huh?

CVM..i dont look upon anything said as flogging, just peoples thoughts. I was just wanting input cuz I hadn't heard back from CC. This is kinda fun to watch though, huh?

barney

cohibasurfer said:
"It sets a poor precedent".

"First, considering the shady P&Ts that have already occurred repeatedly in this pass that needed intervention, I think it sends a mixed signal to everyone involved"

"Second, passes have the highest "viewed" number at CP and I think its crucial to maintain equality and fairness with these trades on the public forum. It effects how future trades will be dealt against. Hell if you want to do an uneven trade, do it privately".
For the record, those words are mine.

I am by no means a FOG, nor a pass nazi ;) , nor am I a participant in this pass....but as an active member of a self moderated forum like CP, I have a vested interest in seeing that it stays a forum of fair trading; regardless of whose feathers may get ruffled in the process.

The old school ways of CP must have worked well at one time, but with 1313 members at last count, the learning curve of fair trading has become more problematic.

I prefer to see all passes follow the basics, as I posted earlier in this thread:

*Avoid putting in quantity to make up for takes in quality.

*Premium domestic ( ie Opus X, Anejo ) for equal value premium domestic; with necessary adjustments for limited releases and/ or "rare" sticks.

( This is not always obvious due to the "seasonal factor"....a BTL is "rare" now, but come holiday season their "trade value" diminishes as a new release is issued. )

*Habanos for equal value habanos.

* And has The A$$man has mentioned so many times, when in doubt, PM a FOG or get prior approval from the pass host.

Seems like a lot of flaming controversal belly aching drama could be avoided if CPers would actively maintain these standards.

More fair trading, less interruptions.